Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'War' on drugs continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

6 more jobs lost, jeysus the SE can't get a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

War on drugs what a laugh. Cannabis would be as harmful as alcohol. Rarely do we hear of seizures of Cocaine or Heroin. Easy to up the detection figures catching growers of a bit of hash when the real hard drugs are on sale in some places quite openly. I don't use or condone drug use of any kind except alcohol which is legally killing an awful lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guymartin

It is a joke alright, Why is cannabis illegal?

I just don't get it. More to the point if we live in a democracy why can't we vote on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Despite what it says in that report, there were no seizures in waterford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Despite what it says in that report, there were no seizures in waterford.

Could have sworn WLR reported the same today, maybe I misheard?

• Advertisement

According to the gardai there were no homes in Waterford raided.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Cannabis is a plant.
    Drugs are synthesised., refined or processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The war on drugs is self defeating.

Growers will just up their game to avoid detection.

The more 'sucesses' the Gardaí have in the war on drugs the more likely the war on drugs will fail.

BTW, I do not sondone drug taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

people harpin on " ah shur its only a bit of grass etc,, , but they dont realize the profits from the grow houses are used to buy in the harder stuff which is aplenty in the town unfortunately.... anyway cannibis is a proven gateway drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Hoffmans wrote: »
    .... anyway cannibis is a proven gateway drug.
    just like alcohol and tobacco
    and coffee

• Advertisement

just like alcohol and tobacco
    and coffee
    whats your point? alcohol is a gateway drug to alcholism or in moderation a good night out. Tobacco could be a gateway to lung cancer,
    however cannabis is proven to lead on to class b then class a drug use and then likely death in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

whats your point? alcohol is a gateway drug to alcholism or in moderation a good night out. Tobacco could be a gateway to lung cancer,
    however cannabis is proven to lead on to class b then class a drug use and then likely death in some cases.

I think you may be misunderstanding the term 'gateway' when used in this context.

People who are heroin addicts are likely to have used alcohol before using heroin.
    People who are heroin addicts are likely to have smoked cannabis before using heroin.

Therefore both can be said to be gateway drugs.

Personally I think the term is meaningless, and just used by to attach something that sounds scientific to the anti-drugs message.

The fact is that it is generally easier to get both alcohol and cannabis than heroin in most places, and most people tend to try 'softer' drugs first anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

anyway cannibis is a proven gateway drug.

Must...not...bite..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

people harpin on " ah shur its only a bit of grass etc,, , but they dont realize the profits from the grow houses are used to buy in the harder stuff which is aplenty in the town unfortunately.... anyway cannibis is a proven gateway drug.

Id like to see this proof of yours....

your a moron.

do some research, a simple google brings up the following.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_drug_theory

heres a little extract from it.

"The gateway drug theory (also called my button gateway theory, gateway hypothesis and gateway effect) is the theory that the use of less deleterious drugs may lead to a future risk of using more dangerous hard drugs and/or crime.[1] It is often attributed to the use of several drugs, including tobacco,[2] alcohol,[3] and cannabis.
    While some research shows that many hard drug users used cannabis or alcohol before moving on to the harder substances, other research shows that some serious drug abusers have used other drugs before using cannabis or alcohol.[4] The former is particularly evident in individual drug-abuse histories which tend to show that "hard drug" users do progress from one drug to another.[5]"

"you're"

Enda Kenny would preform an abortion on live telly before cannabis gets legalised here, the drink lobby is too strong and the cannabis lobby are like you know... whatever maaaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cannabis remaining illegal in this country does more damage than good. The majority of "drug users" would be cannabis users. That's all they want, and all they'll ever want. It's not the illegality of it that makes them want it, it's the effects, be they medicinal or pleasure. Keeping cannabis illegal is keeping producers busy producing an ever increasing demand, while filling the pockets of criminals.

Cannabis is less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, and the many arguments against the legalisation of it can be applied at least ten fold to alcohol and tobacco. According to that article, 2 deaths have been "associated" with cannabis use, while there is over 150,000 every year in the UK associated to alcohol and tobacco (i put associated in inverted commas as they are not directly responsible). Due to the demand of cannabis, producers (read: criminals) are spraying it with god knows what in order to increase weight and affect potency, which is dangerous. Legalisation of it would lead to controlled production, which leads to pure cannabis, and guaranteed safety of use (you cannot overdose on cannabis). This would in turn lead to a reduction in the profit criminals make. And, if legalised, treat it like alcohol and have the warnings associated to it, with the same penalties for alcohol related crime.

But, there are too many against the legalisation of it, too many big wigs with their hands in the products which cannabis would replace. Cannabis is not just for its effects, it is also an excellent replacement to cotton, concrete, fish oil supplements, paper, body lotions, fabric, textiles, rope, and plastic. The cotton, paper and fuel industries alone would be enough to prevent cannabis being made illegal, so i doubt any of us will see it in our lifetimes, but here's hoping!

0rt wrote: »
    research shows that many hard drug users used cannabis or alcohol before moving on to the harder substances .[5]"
    nuff said....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Originally Posted by 0rt viewpost.gif
    research shows that many hard drug users used cannabis or alcohol before moving on to the harder substances .[5]"

nuff said....

They were also breast fed.
    How do you figure that correlation into the mix Hoffmans.

Prohibition is the biggest gateway you will find.

Most people in 1920's and 30's United States would have no dealings with the gangster Al Capone had it not been for prohibition.
    Think that one over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

nuff said....

Research also showed they had a tin of beans before moving onto harder drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

had a smoke last week and to be honest i could not stop thinking about taking heroin.

anyone up for arguing religion?

I retract my statement calling you a moron Hoffmans.. that wasnt nice of me.

If you want to have a look at some stats and proper opinions, watch the documentary 'breaking the taboo' it can be found in many places online.. their website is http://www.breakingthetaboo.info/ and were showing the documentary for free for the first month..

Heres a wee write up
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/filmvideo/9703323/Breaking-the-Taboo-trailer-Bill-Clinton-and-Morgan-Freeman-back-anti-war-on-drugs-documentary.html

worth the watch regardless if you are pro or against cannabis as its deals with things on a broader level.

Its simple cannabis is illegal with good reason, and just looking at the antics of the irish poster boy in favour of legalising it, mr ming it wont be getting decriminalised any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Its simple cannabis is illegal with good reason,

Good reason?

Please state the original reason it was made illegal in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Let the citizens of Ireland have a vote on it, and if they vote no, then we keep voting till they vote yes, simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Its simple cannabis is illegal with good reason, and just looking at the antics of the irish poster boy in favour of legalising it, mr ming it wont be getting decriminalised any time soon.

I couldn't give an arse whether cannabis is illegal in the eye's of old farts in government, i'll just keep on smoking it regardless. I make my own rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zenno wrote: »
    I couldn't give an arse whether cannabis is illegal in the eye's of old farts in government, i'll just keep on smoking it regardless. I make my own rules.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

If the government were clever about this they could make some serious money out of legalising cannabis. I have never smoked anything of any description in my life so I'm no expert on the subject but from experience with dealing with others I'd much rather spend an evening with someone who is stoned than with someone who is pissed on drink, and totally unable to handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Just as alcohol prohibition was futile in the United States in the early years of the last century, so the prohibition of drugs is futile today

The policy of prohibition, which places the criminal justice system at the heart of drug control and labels all drugs as equally harmful, while accepting the legal sale and consumption of alcohol, nicotine and prescription drugs, cannot work and clearly has not worked, either in Ireland or anywhere elsS. It alienates young people from adult messages about drugs, which they see as hypocritical, and inhibits a fact-based and rational discussion about drug use.

Irish society glamorizes alcohol while demonizing drugs. In Ireland, more people are killed by cigarette smoking and drunk driving than drugs. These are indisputable facts, yet calls for the prohibition of cigarettes, alcohol or driving are almost unheard of.

You state "cannabis is proven to lead on to class b then class a drug use and then likely death in some cases". Where's the proof and be really interested in seeing these studies. I am not for a minute suggesting marijuana is not harmful but alcohol is also implicated as gateway drug . Magazine images of very skinny girls and boys are also implicated in the use of cocaine - should they be banned?

The latest report from the Beckley Foundation said that although marijuana use can have negative effects on physical and mental health, “in terms of relative harms it is considerably less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.” The Foundation's Global Cannabis Commission said that banning marijuana has little effect on either the supply or demand for the drug, and instead leads to user criminalization.

The research claimed only two deaths worldwide could be directly attributed to marijuana each year, while 150,000 people in Britain die from alcohol and tobacco. “Many of the harms associated with cannabis use are the result of prohibition itself,” the report stated, “particularly the social harms arising from arrest and imprisonment.”

Advertisement