Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence

Options
  • 29-03-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

It will be 4 months this Wednesday since my application was made for my first firearm I've called the station and been told to be patient there's a back log on applications is this normal. Whats the longest time you've heard of it taking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

It will be 4 months this Wednesday since my application was made for my first firearm I've called the station and been told to be patient there's a back log on applications is this normal. Whats the longest time you've heard of it taking.

It took me 2 weeks for one firearm and 5 months for another one neither of which was a first application. Some lads get them in a few days others lads are kept waiting up to a year and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

My first was nine months, second six weeks third six months and my last application was dropped into them in october i had a meeting about it on the fourth of this month and was told he was more than happy to grant the licence but it would take a few days, I am still waiting. :( Be patient and don't get annoyed about it there is nothing you can do only wait and if you start getting thick with them they could just say no. And if you are going to ring again ring the district office don't bother with your local because they won't know and will just fobbed off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............ and been told to be patient there's a back log on applications is this normal. .........
    I've never waited more than 3 weeks for a full application or substitution. Recently with only one Super in my county, and to go around five district stations, lack of inspectors, etc i have been waiting 8 weeks on two licenses, and a substitution.

When i rang to see how it was going i was told there is an enormous backlog due to lack of manpower, renewals being given priority over new applications (presumably because those with renewals have firearms in their possession, and naturally the Gardaí want those licensed), and the fact that there are a larger than normal amount of renewals, and new applications being submitted.

So as annoying as it is i have to wait. Was spoiled for so long that even though the time frame is well within the 3 month period it feels like forever.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 32 boltaction13

Thanks for the info lads not as worried now. I'll give the another call in a few weeks if I hear nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 32 boltaction13

Finally came 9 months after applying better late than never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Submitted renewal on Feb 18th, (this year :) ) and got the grant letter today, paid in post office, just waiting to see if the magic "s" is on the license now :rolleyes:

ACV

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Submitted renewal on Feb 18th, (this year :) ) and got the grant letter today, paid in post office, just waiting to see if the magic "s" is on the license now :rolleyes:

ACV

When did yours expire? I'm waiting 3 months and they expire in 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

The pre-populated renewal form arrived around the 2nd or 3rd february, the license was due to expire on the 4th May, so I filled it out right away, sorted out my letter requesting the magic "s", photograph, letter re permission, and checked then every time I passed the garda station to see if there was anyone there. Eventually on the 18th february there was a minor car crash, (that involved an off duty guard), so the place was flooded with bodies like landsdowne road on an international night, and I eventually managed to get my application submitted. The 4th of May came and went, then June came and went, then July came and went. I just didnt risk taking the rifle out of the safe during that period. Finally got the acknowledgement letter on Wednesday and the grant letter yesterday. I called to the station a good few times during April, May, July, and was told various things about a huge backlog and the girl that normally deals with em is on maternity leave etc. Looks like shes back thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I applied for a licence for a .22 (first licence) on the 20th of June. Got my grant letter yesterday. (And my receipt of application today)

Not bad.

Paid it today so curious as to how long it will take to receive the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

knipex wrote: »
    I applied for a licence for a .22 (first licence) on the 20th of June. Got my grant letter yesterday. (And my receipt of application today)

Not bad.

Paid it today so curious as to how long it will take to receive the licence.

3 or 4 days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement