Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary level French Oral

• 29-03-2013 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

So I am trying to sit the French Ordinary level exam after not doing French for 2 years. I made a mistake, I chose not to do a foreign lauguage and it is restricting my options a little so I have decided that with 3 weeks to the first exam I will take up French and aim for a D3 in Ordinary level French. It wasn't that I was not capable of learning French, I got a B in Honours French for Junior Cert but in order to maximize points and do history for LC I decided that I would take a year off after school and learn French. However in order to open up my options for 3rd level I feel it is best to try and get the d3 in pass French.

What I am looking for is help. I want to know what do I need to know for the oral? What questions can come up? Do I need to prepare anything? Any resources for French orals?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you are registered with the SEC to sit the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

spurious wrote: »
    Make sure you are registered with the SEC to sit the exam.

How do I do that? Is it too late?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

matTNT wrote: »
    How do I do that? Is it too late?

Most schools have sent them in, but talk to whoever is the Examinations Secretary in your school as soon as you go back. This si so the SEC can factor you into the orals.

If there are already some candidates taking French in your school it won't be a big deal. It gets a bit more complicated if there is no-one doing French in the centre.

spurious wrote: »
    Most schools have sent them in, but talk to whoever is the Examinations Secretary in your school as soon as you go back. This si so the SEC can factor you into the orals.

If there are already some candidates taking French in your school it won't be a big deal. It gets a bit more complicated if there is no-one doing French in the centre.

We're back on the 8th and the oral starts the following week. French is a choice at my school so that won't be a problem. Our deputy principal is approachable and usually gets stuff sorted like this so as long as there isn't really a closing date I hope I'll be able to sit the oral.

Thanks for the help

Anybody know any online resources for French oral?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Hi, I did the same as yourself last year, took up French in February of LC year after a B in higher junior cert. I managed to get a B2 in ordinary level LC with a fairly limited amount of work so you've nothing to worry about with regards to failing.
    For the oral, especially for ordinary level stick to basic simple stuff, your family, hobbies, holidays etc. don't be afraid to lie a little, remember you'll probably never see this examiner again.
    One easy way of getting material is to lob the stuff into google translate and ask a French teacher in your school to correct any mistakes, if you had a good idea of this you'd be fine.
    There's an option to bring in a "document" into the oral. This is very handy way of distracting the examiner from your lack of command for the language. I brought in a pic of Roy keane and basically learned off an A4 page on his life which I puked out in the oral. The document can be any celebrity or family member etc.
    also ask the French teachers in your schools for advice, most are okay and will be happy to help you at lunch or after class.
    Hope that helped you

• Advertisement

bigboy123 wrote: »
    Hi, I did the same as yourself last year, took up French in February of LC year after a B in higher junior cert. I managed to get a B2 in ordinary level LC with a fairly limited amount of work so you've nothing to worry about with regards to failing.
    For the oral, especially for ordinary level stick to basic simple stuff, your family, hobbies, holidays etc. don't be afraid to lie a little, remember you'll probably never see this examiner again.
    One easy way of getting material is to lob the stuff into google translate and ask a French teacher in your school to correct any mistakes, if you had a good idea of this you'd be fine.
    There's an option to bring in a "document" into the oral. This is very handy way of distracting the examiner from your lack of command for the language. I brought in a pic of Roy keane and basically learned off an A4 page on his life which I puked out in the oral. The document can be any celebrity or family member etc.
    also ask the French teachers in your schools for advice, most are okay and will be happy to help you at lunch or after class.
    Hope that helped you

That really gives me the confidence I need to go and do it, I really appreciate it and once I can actually do it. Signing up a week the oral before is a little late but hopefully possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Sweet, Im not the only person doing this. Im literally in the exact same position but just realised that Iv f**k all french!! Looking for some stuff online as well. If you find anything let me know. Was gonna go for grinds for lik 2 weeks but I reckon Ill just chance my arm away.! Feeling fairly dodge about it tho!

Advertisement