Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I pull out of repeating the LC with 2 months to go?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

If I could drop now and be handed 530 points I'd happily do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I was in exactly the same boat as you. Different points, but exactly the same situation. I stuck with it and did the leaving again, but all my motivation had dissipated and I only got slightly more than in round one. If I had the time again, I would have dropped out and either worked or studied for my new college course to give me a leg up.

If, however, you're planning on dropping out and 'chilling' for the next few months, then stay on the course. Your parents will be frustrated that you're wasting time, and the hassle of doing the leaving again will look much preferable to the hassle of having arguments with your parents constantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

You could get a job from now till september and earn a fair bit for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

I was in exactly the same boat as you. Different points, but exactly the same situation. I stuck with it and did the leaving again, but all my motivation had dissipated and I only got slightly more than in round one. If I had the time again, I would have dropped out and either worked or studied for my new college course to give me a leg up.

If, however, you're planning on dropping out and 'chilling' for the next few months, then stay on the course. Your parents will be frustrated that you're wasting time, and the hassle of doing the leaving again will look much preferable to the hassle of having arguments with your parents constantly!

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. And I wouldn't do nothing, I would get a job in the meantime

Poll up there as well so get voting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Seaic wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly how I feel. And I wouldn't do nothing, I would get a job in the meantime

Poll up there as well so get voting

To be honest, it seems like you are on here looking for people to vindicate your decision not to resit.

If you are certain you won't need more points, then don't resit and try to get a job.

If I were in your shoes, and this close to the exams, I would resit just to try and keep my options open. You can never have too many options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Dave0301 wrote: »
    To be honest, it seems like you are on here looking for people to vindicate your decision not to resit.

If you are certain you won't need more points, then don't resit and try to get a job.

If I were in your shoes, and this close to the exams, I would resit just to try and keep my options open. You can never have too many options!

I fully agree, from the start of this thread you seem like it wasn't even a question , so i don't really know why you asked us? it must be to vindicate your decision. The poll even shows more people on here believe you should not drop out but you still want to - i think your decision is made up you want to drop out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Quit, save yourself the stress. Its only the leaving cert. 530 points is a fantastic score and if you only need 480 or so then just don't bother with it. Once you leave school and your first day in college you will realise that the leaving cert does not matter and is really a waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

As someone mentioned think about your CV in a couple of years time, that missing year could get questions and you may have a hard time explaining your way out of it in an interview. It may not seem important now but believe me it could be 3 years down the line.

In terms of getting a job instead, great idea, provided you can get one. Not sure have you family that can help you out here but in reality if not there are hundreds of thousands out of work with a lot more experience etc than you and that won't be running out the door in 5 months time when it suits them, like will be in your case.

I would make sure I have a job first before presuming that you will get one. If you can get one then you have a decision to make up to that point I would stick with it for the sake of a few months

seavill wrote: »
    As someone mentioned think about your CV in a couple of years time, that missing year could get questions and you may have a hard time explaining your way out of it in an interview. It may not seem important now but believe me it could be 3 years down the line.

In terms of getting a job instead, great idea, provided you can get one. Not sure have you family that can help you out here but in reality if not there are hundreds of thousands out of work with a lot more experience etc than you and that won't be running out the door in 5 months time when it suits them, like will be in your case.

I would make sure I have a job first before presuming that you will get one. If you can get one then you have a decision to make up to that point I would stick with it for the sake of a few months

Not a hope in hell an employer would care if you took a year out before college, its only the leaving cert, once your over 400 points in it your good, all an employer for graduates will care about is if you get a first class or second class honors degree from college and the only subject they care about for the leaving is honors maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You don't have to put on your CV you dropped out of repeating or did half a course or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

joetoad wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell an employer would care if you took a year out before college, its only the leaving cert, once your over 400 points in it your good, all an employer for graduates will care about is if you get a first class or second class honors degree from college and the only subject they care about for the leaving is honors maths.

Completely disagree with this sorry. In my first summer out of college I had 6 interviews. In 5 of the 6 I was quizzed about my school life along with college life. I took a year out before college and was quizzed on this in particular. Coming out of college you have no experience to talk about so they are interested in your life so far. Particularly a missing year, so to speak.

You don't have to put that on your CV but you do put the years you were in school and the years you were in college. Again straight out of college there isnt much to look at so these things do stand out. Along with being quizzed myself about my gap year I have sat on 2 interview panels and have experience on this type of thinking

joetoad wrote: »

You clearly haven't done an interview before , they will most definitely ask why you did nothing for a year.

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    You clearly haven't done an interview before , they will most definitely ask why you did nothing for a year.

Done plenty and am working, Its only a major issue after you graduate if you havn't got a job within a year or two and they'd expect you to have tried to up your skill set e.g extra certs on top of degree. All you you had to say is you travelled, or family reasons etc but I doubt they will even ask you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Quitting a course of any sort (for reasons other than health) looks really bad on a CV.

Mind you, not doing a course because 'it would be too hard' while talking about wanting a course that needs at least 500 points to get into looks pretty bad too. Is it hard work is the issue?

spurious wrote: »
    Quitting a course of any sort (for reasons other than health) looks really bad on a CV.

Mind you, not doing a course because 'it would be too hard' while talking about wanting a course that needs at least 500 points to get into looks pretty bad too. Is it hard work is the issue?

The leaving cert isn't a course? I did electronic engineering for a year and everyone told me not too including my parents because the failure rate was very high and dropped out after first year. I then went back to do computer science and flew through it. I don't have electronic
    engineering down on my C.V and never mentioned it.

People are acting like the leaving cert is important is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Okay lads, contrary to what people think, I am going ahead with the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Good choice, methinks. By all the topics you've created you seem to be fairly fickle, so a few months of hard mental work should get your thoughts straight.

Seaic wrote: »
    Okay lads, contrary to what people think, I am going ahead with the Leaving Cert.

Just try your best its all you can do :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement