Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Radio - The New Phantom?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

8 Radio, brainchild of Simon Maher, former manager of Phantom and Mod of this forum goes live on air today.

Will you be tuning in and / or listening online?

Best of luck to Simon and team. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    8 Radio, brainchild of Simon Maher, former manager of Phantom and Mod of this forum goes live on air today.

Will you be tuning in and / or listening online?

Best of luck to Simon and team. :)
    It

Yes, I have given it a listen on 94.3 FM. Overall, I like the mixture so far. It does have quite a bit of overlap with Phantom but it is not as restrictive in its music mix. One of the gems I heard this morning was "Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin! It as a case of Phantom plus more, so far.

I had a look at the schedule. I recognized the following names from Phantom: Amber, Steve Conway, Pearl, Neil Murray and, last but not least, Simon Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

been listening to it on and off for the last week or so.
    bit of mixed bag really. some really good classic indie/alternative, but some absolute guff, the type of MOR rubbish that would be on Nova/Q102 (eg. this song was just on: Donald Fagen - The Nightfly).
    not much new music from the bits i heard either, a lot of 80s/90s stuff.

will check it out a bit over the next while, but not hugely impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I like what I've heard so far and good to hear some of the old Phantom crew again.

My only complaint would be that the shows have no consistency. I don't mind 80's tracks mixed with modern but a low tempo track right after an upbeat one really bothers me.

It's early days yet though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like what I've heard so far and good to hear some of the old Phantom crew again.

My only complaint would be that the shows have no consistency. I don't mind 80's tracks mixed with modern but a low tempo track right after an upbeat one really bothers me.

It's early days yet though.......

I found it interesting and a bit of a different kind of mix. It came across to me as a kind of mish-mash of Phantom, bit of Radio Nova, bit of 4FM and the record collections of Steve Conway, Pearl and Simon Maher! It reminds me to some extent of Simon's old '90s pirate Coast FM.

I would love to know the backgrounds to the other presenters. Perhaps some are new raw talent: Simon was always good for that over the years in Phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I had it on over the weekend, mostly really good. didn't have the same stale sound of a station that relies heavily on a predefined set of 10 -> 15 songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

will be giving it a listen this evening. Is it on full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

It's on all the time via the Interweb and they broadcast Fm at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

dammit and my o2 service being crap weekend listen it is

Was listening again this weekend. There's some good music for sure but again I would prefer if each show had a particular tempo as opposed to a mellow tune being played after an upbeat one. I've tuned out many times because of this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Was listening again this weekend. There's some good music for sure but again I would prefer if each show had a particular tempo as opposed to a mellow tune being played after an upbeat one. I've tuned out many times because of this.

I agree whole heartedly with this, so many of the shows have no continuity and I don't enjoy them while I might like the songs being played.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    I agree whole heartedly with this, so many of the shows have no continuity and I don't enjoy them while I might like the songs being played.

That's it exactly. I like almost all the music they're playing but even when I'm listening to my own music at home I will select tracks by the mood I'm in. I don't want 'uppers' followed by 'downers' whilst listening. My mood swings aren't that erratic. ;)

Advertisement