Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degu dilemma

• 29-03-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

So one of my little degus died a short while ago, leaving me with one lonely degu. Some of you may have seen my post in the rehoming thread but since it is seemingly impossible to get him a new home, Im looking into adopting/rescuing another degu to keep him company when Im not around.

Ive googled etc but to no avail. The last degus free to good home ad I could find was posted in 2010. I have the OH searching Facebook as Im not a member but Im worried that even that may come to nothing.

So, Im appealing to my fellow A&P regulars (or not so regulars) to keep an eye/ear out and let me know via this thread or pm, if they happen to come across any degus in need of a home. Males preferably but I would do my best to make it work if it happened to be a female.

I should add that I realise I could just buy a degu but I havent bought an animal yet and Id prefer to keep it that way.

...and a slight guilt trip to make sure you're all listening...

DSC00148.jpg

Anyone who doesnt help will have this to deal with :D

DSC00144.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was too scared to not reply:D:D

Found this rescue page and they mention Degus

<snip>

have you been into your local pet shops and looked at notices or placed notices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

When my female degu started having strokes, Knowing the female didn't have long I added 3 mice to the cage, to keep the other company, they all got on really well, and it was cute to see the two species.
    Despite being different, many will get along without issue, since they're both generally passive creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

When my female degu started having strokes, Knowing the female didn't have long I added 3 mice to the cage, to keep the other company, they all got on really well, and it was cute to see the two species.
    Despite being different, many will get along without issue, since they're both generally passive creatures.
    Id be worried he would tear a mouse apart. Still prefer to get a degu for him but I will look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I was too scared to not reply:D:D

Found this rescue page and they mention Degus

<snip>

have you been into your local pet shops and looked at notices or placed notices?
    I saw it before the snip but the OH has already been in touch with them with no luck. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

@ vai, he won't, degus aren't meat eaters like rats, I didn't even have to introduce them slowly. And many people have had good success with degu&mice :)
    The reason I chose mice, was age, mice live for about a year, and my degu was 9 years old. I didn't want to get another degu, that would likely out live him and be at the same dilemma of getting one for company.

• Advertisement

I didnt mean he would eat a mouse, just that he could kill one very easily if provoked or threatened.
    This fella is only about 4 or 5 but im in the same boat as you were. Dont want to get a young degu and end up the same way in a few years.
    I will look into it if nothing else comes up though, cheers.

Advertisement