Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Static IP - Gaming

• 29-03-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,

I keep disconnecting while gaming online and I've been recommended to get a static IP Adress from Eircom.

Just wondering what it does and how it effects the router and laptops, iPads , consoles etc. connected to it?

Am I capable of doing it without contacting Eircom?

Also, I was just talking to an Eircom agent in the web chat and they said I'd need to ring the customer services, they also said it's of no charge.

I don't know much about this sort of stuff so please explain in simple English :D

Thanks

(Please don't close/Remove this post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Just ring customer services and pray you don't connect with a Pakistani rep. because you won't understand a thing he's saying. Seriously, though, if they said you must ring them, then ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi, your ipads etc shouldnt be affected,the static ip talks to the outside world while another part of the router talks to the inside world(laptops etc) if that makes sensr.,But im not sure how eircom will deal with this as a private customer.
    Best check with them first as when we switched to them as a business customer they neglected to tell us we would require or be charged extra for a static i.p. address for our standard email system.Piss poor service Eircom!Left our business with no emails for nearly a week.Sorry for the rant, just check first..

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi, your ipads etc shouldnt be affected,the static ip talks to the outside world while another part of the router talks to the inside world(laptops etc) if that makes sensr.,But im not sure how eircom will deal with this as a private customer.
    Best check with them first as when we switched to them as a business customer they neglected to tell us we would require or be charged extra for a static i.p. address for our standard email system.Piss poor service Eircom!Left our business with no emails for nearly a week.Sorry for the rant, just check first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I dont know that a static will fix your problems. Unless its a daily renewal(once a day at the exact same time) then your external IP isnt at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Naa it can happen at any time, but it's usually when the iPad is being used (videos, twitter, facebook etc. ) It's fine with the laptop. Bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are you using wireless? If so try ethernet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Hi,

I keep disconnecting while gaming online and I've been recommended to get a static IP Adress from Eircom.

Just wondering what it does and how it effects the router and laptops, iPads , consoles etc. connected to it?

Am I capable of doing it without contacting Eircom?

Also, I was just talking to an Eircom agent in the web chat and they said I'd need to ring the customer services, they also said it's of no charge.

I don't know much about this sort of stuff so please explain in simple English :D

Thanks

(Please don't close/Remove this post)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75424065

think this may solve your problem if you have the infamous black zyxel router

Actually, up until last year, my black Zyxel router kept disconnecting every half-hour. My problem was that I used and old telephone line to bring my router upstairs. So I used the shorter one Eircom supplied (about a meter long), then I left my router beside the socket in the hallway and bought a DSL cable to connect to my computer upstairs, the disconnecting stopped after this.

Where is your router located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Actually, up until last year, my black Zyxel router kept disconnecting every half-hour. My problem was that I used and old telephone line to bring my router upstairs. So I used the shorter one Eircom supplied (about a meter long), then I left my router beside the socket in the hallway and bought a DSL cable to connect to my computer upstairs, the disconnecting stopped after this.

Classic DSL problem. The signal degrades at an alarming rate over a telephone line. It's ALWAYS better to connect the modem to the wall with a short phone cable and run a long ethernet cable to the PC than long telephone line and short ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

the problem wasn't the length of the telephone cable in this case. by default the black routers are set to disconnect automatically every 30 mins if you using the wifi on it, the link i posted above is desined to fix this. The problem doesn't arise if you are using the wired connection on the router ie. the network cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hi,

That's nonsense,seriously bad advice, static or dynamic IP's won't make a blind bit of difference to disconnects

the problem wasn't the length of the telephone cable in this case. by default the black routers are set to disconnect automatically every 30 mins if you using the wifi on it, the link i posted above is desined to fix this. The problem doesn't arise if you are using the wired connection on the router ie. the network cable

I know the problem you're referring to, but Skidfingers never mentioned how he connects when gaming, so I'm just putting possible ideas out there.

I used to think the reauthentication timer the problem with my router, but no. I can leave uTorrent running 24/7 at high speed and it'll stay connected. It's actually a decent router after you finish tweaking it. A lot better than a Netgear I wasted 120 euro on.

I know the problem you're referring to, but Skidfingers never mentioned how he connects when gaming, so I'm just putting possible ideas out there.

I used to think the reauthentication timer the problem with my router, but no. I can leave uTorrent running 24/7 at high speed and it'll stay connected. It's actually a decent router after you finish tweaking it. A lot better than a Netgear I wasted 120 euro on.

I'm wireless, router is about 10 metres away, on the same floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wireless isnt ideal for gaming, it ads latency and is less reliable. If you can run a length of ethernet cable then do that.

If not The Little Fella's link would be the first port of call.

I don't disconnect from PSN, just disconnect from the game that I'm playing(fifa), usually 11 v 11 games when I'm not the host

I don't disconnect from PSN, just disconnect from the game that I'm playing(fifa), usually 11 v 11 games when I'm not the host

Does the same thing happen to your PC/laptop? How is that connected to your router, wired or wirelessly?

Does the same thing happen to your PC/laptop? How is that connected to your router, wired or wirelessly?

Naa laptop and iPad be fine, everything is wireless

Try playing it with a wired connection. Just set up your Playstation beside your router and connected it up with the 1 meter DSL cable Eircom supply. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

I've haven't gamed using the router yet, so I've no experience. I do know that it's actually a decent router when your get the hang of it.

Try playing it with a wired connection. Just set up your Playstation beside your router and connected it up with the 1 meter DSL cable Eircom supply. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

I've haven't gamed using the router yet, so I've no experience. I do know that it's actually a decent router when your get the hang of it.

I can't set router up beside PS3 as router is at least 10 metres away. Router is in hall.
    Only thing I can do really is buy like a 15 metre Ethernet cable and have running down the hall and into the back of PS3

• Advertisement

I can't set router up beside PS3 as router is at least 10 metres away. Router is in hall.
    Only thing I can do really is buy like a 15 metre Ethernet cable and have running down the hall and into the back of PS3

Either that, or if you have a small TV and an extension lead, you could place it beside it.

I have a 15 metre Ethernet cable and it cost me about 30 euro, just so you know.

I wouldn't be able to move TV and put it beside router.

15m cable in Argos for 20 quid.
    Could buy it on amazon either for 2 or 3 pound

Advertisement