Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese - Brazilian versus European grammar

Options
  • 29-03-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey

I have recently started to learn brazilian portuguese (just a month ago). I am currently listening to Pimsleur Brazilian portuguese and was thinking of then (in 2 months) using Michael Thomas (which I used to learn the basics of Spanish grammar and found it fantastic).

I thought it would compliment Pimsleur well as MT is all about grammar while Pimsleur has taught me some basic vocabulary and ignored the grammar.

However, I am aware that MT is European Portuguese and have read a review saying this would be a hindrance to learning Brazilian portuguese. My interest is in Brazilian portuguese.

I plan on doing Rosetta stone too as I think the visuals will help me increase my vocabulary. Should I go straight from Brazilian Pimsleur to Brazilian Rosetta Stone? (the MT I have access to is free so it isn't a money issue)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I speak neither but hear the difference is a bit more signifficant than the difference between dialects of Spanish or say France French and Canadian French so what you've heard could well be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oh and before you fork out for Rosetta Stone why don't you give Duolingo a bash? They offer Brazillian Portuguese. It's free and a study has shown it's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

There is a huge difference between the two with regard to spoken language but the differences in grammar are fairly small and manageable. The main one is with verbs; where a Brazilian would say "dar me" (to give me) a Portuguese would say "me-dar". For the present subjunctive a Brazilian will use "-ando" whereas a Portuguese will use "a + infinitive", e.g. "Estou falando" (I am talking) would be "Estou a falar" in Portugal.

There are also some differences in vocabulary, just as with American English, but the main difference is pronunciation. Portuguese like to cut off the ends of words and speak faster, using the "sh" sound a lot more whereas Brazilians have a slower and unmistakeable rise-fall intonation, with de/di pronounced "ji" and an r pronounced as a strong "h" sound. Their final s is less of a "sh" sound.

Advertisement