Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol ripping off Ian Brown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Randomly found FEAR one time when I was getting a lift in someone's car and yes they are very similar because I heard the Snow Patrol one on the radio today and thought it was FEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heard it for the 1st time tonight in the car, and not knowing who it was I thought "thats sounds like Snow Patrol, but like Ian Brown too".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Snow patrol dont give a sh** no more ..the quality of their music has plummented in recent years.Still the fans will prob lap it up as evidenced by the top comment ..

95Alicee 3 weeks ago
    It doesn't matter what brought you here, it doesn't make you any better or worse, the point is we all came here to enjoy the wonderful music produced by one of my favourite bands Snow Patrol!
    Reply · 75

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've never like SP. In fact I actively dislike them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Doesn't surprise me. Always thought Snow Patrol are just another bland acoustic guitar/piano soft emo band. Their brand of soaring chorus indie anthem music is everywhere and is bland as f**k. Brown is equally overrated so I could care less, but I think it's a sign of arrogance to lift or imitate the work of another so closely. I wonder will it be as big a deal as Coldplay V Joe Satriani?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Doesn't surprise me. Always thought Snow Patrol are just another bland acoustic guitar/piano soft emo band. Their brand of soaring chorus indie anthem music is everywhere and is bland as f**k. Brown is equally overrated so I could care less, but I think it's a sign of arrogance to lift or imitate the work of another so closely. I wonder will it be as big a deal as Coldplay V Joe Satriani?
    I don't like Snow Patrol, but emo and indie? Snow Patrol are neither.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I don't like Snow Patrol, but emo and indie? Snow Patrol are neither.

Don't know what else to call them so I just call them "soft emo" due to the style of writing. I'd also say they are part of that whole indie sound/scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Don't know what else to call them so I just call them "soft emo" due to the style of writing. I'd also say they are part of that whole indie sound/scene.
    How about just "pop rock"? Emo is stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and indie refers to independent music, there is no "indie" sound as such. Snow Patrol were an indie band in the beginning but are now signed to a major label.

The song mentioned does sound like F.E.A.R. but there's been tons of cases of songs sounding like other songs, on purpose or not. It happens more often than you think.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    How about just "pop rock"? Emo is stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and indie refers to independent music, there is no "indie" sound as such. Snow Patrol were an indie band in the beginning but are now signed to a major label.

The song mentioned does sound like F.E.A.R. but there's been tons of cases of songs sounding like other songs, on purpose or not. It happens more often than you think.

Well I always just associate EMO with anything whiney, to be honest I could care less about what they are. Likewise Indie is just a broad description for any numerous looks and sounds these days. I'd agree that most popular music uses the same scales and chord progressions and it's bound to lead to repetition so I guess we will have to see what those knowledgeable in theory have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why the SP hate?

Music is subjective. Some will love SP, you may hate them. You think the music you listen to is amazing, but others will think its dung.

Can't understand why anyone would be annoyed by any artist or band. Don't like them? Then don't listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I can hear the similarities but I wouldn't be blowing my top over it. It's not note for note plagiarism. There's much stronger cases for plagiarism which makes me think, if it wasn't Snow Patrol in question would you still give a toss?

By the way I'm not a Snow Patrol fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's quite similar, Brown could have a case, it's usually very simple to fix, you'd just give him a songwriting credit (eg, Oasis 'Take Me Away', Noel Gallagher/Stevie Wonder). Although Brown wrote FEAR with two other people so it may be more complicated.

It's quite similar, Brown could have a case, it's usually very simple to fix, you'd just give him a songwriting credit (eg, Oasis 'Take Me Away', Noel Gallagher/Stevie Wonder). Although Brown wrote FEAR with two other people so it may be more complicated.

I'm far from educated on the ins and outs of plagiarism but both of these songs are in different keys (Gm and F#m respectively) they also follow different progressions, Snow Patrols seems to be a I-VII-IV-III progression whereas "F.E.A.R" is a I-III-VI-IV progression.

I can definitely hear the similarities in both songs but I don't think that there is enough to go on plagiarism, though again that's my opinion based on instinct over intelligence.

The Oasis tune was "Step Out" by the way, it was the B-Side to "Don't Look Back In Anger," first single I ever bought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Oasis tune was "Step Out" by the way, it was the B-Side to "Don't Look Back In Anger," first single I ever bought :D

Off-topic, but that's a great CD single: Step Out and Cum On Feel the Noize.
    Of course, that was back in the day when Oasis had b-sides that other bands would kill for as singles.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Of course, that was back in the day when Oasis had b-sides that other bands would kill for as singles.

Other bands did, well usually it was just the one band, The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm far from educated on the ins and outs of plagiarism but both of these songs are in different keys (Gm and F#m respectively) they also follow different progressions, Snow Patrols seems to be a I-VII-IV-III progression whereas "F.E.A.R" is a I-III-VI-IV progression.

I can definitely hear the similarities in both songs but I don't think that there is enough to go on plagiarism, though again that's my opinion based on instinct over intelligence.

I didn't think there was a case there with the music, but the vocal is damn similar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I didn't think there was a case there with the music, but the vocal is damn similar!!

It was pulled from 'What's The Story Glory?' Stevie Wonder requested a 10% royalty fee, Creation Records wouldn't budge on 5, so the compromise was to give him his rate and then attempt to bury the songs exposure by placing it on the B side of the 'Don't Look Back..' single.

Oasis also ran into trouble with Shakermaker, Coca Cola successfully sued them for $500,000. 'I'd like to teach the world to sing', a song from a coke advert in the 70s was deemed to be too similar to the track they produced 20 years later.

It was pulled from 'What's The Story Glory?' Stevie Wonder requested a 10% royalty fee, Creation Records wouldn't budge on 5, so the compromise was to give him his rate and then attempt to bury the songs exposure by placing it on the B side of the 'Don't Look Back..' single.

Oasis also ran into trouble with Shakermaker, Coca Cola successfully sued them for $500,000. 'I'd like to teach the world to sing', a song from a coke advert in the 70s was deemed to be too similar to the track they produced 20 years later.

There was also a case involving the similarities between "Whatever" and "How Sweet To Be An Idiot" the song is credited to both Gallagher and Neil Innes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

sorry but the songs are far from "identical"

at best, they resemble each other in general vibe and tempo, somewhat musically.

there are probably thousands of other better examples in popular music. I wouldn't get me knickers in a twist over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kickslate

Wow, that is unreal! talk about "heavily inspired" it really is just copied!

• Advertisement
Advertisement