Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better chance of PR with iec or lmo visa ?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi my husband and I applied ans received iec visas and are moving to canada in June wirh our 19 month . Since then we have applied for jobs over there and the companies prefer to take us in a lmo visa . We are just wondering is there a better chance of applying and getting permanent residency on Lmo rather than iec visa ?
    We know we can only have 1 type of visa but have the option of 2 - so not sure what's better - we plan to stay long term if possible ... Any help would be great thanks !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Either or. LMOs are good for a year, IECs are good for 2. Once you're in Canada for a year you can apply for PR under the CEC scheme, which takes work experience and education into consideration. The process is the same regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

t

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi my husband and I applied ans received iec visas and are moving to canada in June wirh our 19 month . Since then we have applied for jobs over there and the companies prefer to take us in a lmo visa . !

The company is offering an LMO as then you can only work for them so they are guaranteed you will stay with them until you get PR.

also look into the provincial nominee program as with company support in some provinces the process is quicker, it is helpful to have a company willing to help you with the visa process in the long run
    COYVB wrote: »
    Either or. LMOs are good for a year, I

LMO's can be valid for anything from 1 year to 4 it depends on the job, and the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

m.j.w wrote: »
    Im in the same position as you, I have a job with a company and reckon they are gonna offer me an lmo. I already have an Iec and I would rather travel on that incase I got let go or something.

Yeah we want to keep the security blanket of having the Iec but then companies offer great help with relocating with lmo - finding accommodation, airport pick up, etc etc - which would make it easier wirh a baby - but it's hard to know before we get over there if we will like the area/ company . This is a major move with a family and lots of sleepiness nights over it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

bstar wrote: »
    LMO's can be valid for anything from 1 year to 4 it depends on the job, and the company.

This I did not know. Bastards at CIC never told me that when I was doing mine - could've gotten it for 3 years then

• Advertisement
Advertisement