Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal 4 Engine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I am not entirely convinced. I would prefer to see a game actually running on it, rather than a tech demo.

The guys who made Spec Ops: The Line are making a game using Unreal Tech 4, I will reserve my judgement until I see it up and running in real time.

After all, amazing visuals does not necessarily make a great game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Falthyron wrote: »
    After all, amazing visuals does not necessarily make a great game...

Indeed, and in fact I often find the higher fidelity the graphics the harder it is to actually play the game, you can't make out anything when it is moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think it looks extraordinary. An amazing achievement. Even though its non interactive.

Lots of games on the pc ps4 and 720 are going to use this going forward. Your staring at the future kiddies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Praetorian wrote: »

Lots of games on the pc ps4 and 720 are going to use this going forward. Your staring at the future kiddies :)

Hardly. What appears to be a pre-rendered, high visual, cinematic does not suggest authenticity for what games will look like in real-time. It looks impressive, although I think Battlefield 4 looks better and that is in real-time.

Wait and see. Don't forget we are still in the generation of hype...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Falthyron wrote: »
    Hardly. What appears to be a pre-rendered, high visual, cinematic does not suggest authenticity for what games will look like in real-time

But it's not prerendered unless you have reason to believe we are being lied to?
    Running in real-time on a Core i7 PC using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Am I the only one who isn't impressed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not pre rendered they changed settings on the fly during the demo.

Unreal used to make good games but lets be honest its the engine that keeps them going. And tis so easy to mod/create with it, people forget about them and their make something unreal contest. Would just love a new UT GAME!!!

wow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

didnt think it was that big, but thats a lot of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Unreal used to make good games but lets be honest its the engine that keeps them going. And tis so easy to mod/create with it, people forget about them and their make something unreal contest. Would just love a new UT GAME!!!

This is true, we know Epic can make good game engines but we will have to wait until a good games developer gets their hands on it before we know how good UE4 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You'd think they'd go all out with the palate colours just so you can truly appreciate the engine. It just looks samesy so I don't really have a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm actually baffled as to how anyone could watch that footage and not see it as a stunning technical achievement. :confused:
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    You'd think they'd go all out with the palate colours just so you can truly appreciate the engine. It just looks samesy so I don't really have a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for.
    The colour palette in the Elemental demo was a good bit wider.

EDIT: It seems this new version of the Elemental video is running on a PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gizmo wrote: »
    I'm actually baffled as to how anyone could watch that footage and not see it as a stunning technical achievement. :confused:

I'm reluctant to get overly excited because ultimately it's a completely closed environment & test. I'd rather see the engine in action, in a real and unrehearsed gameplay video. Clearly those videos would have been heavily massaged to reduce any clipping, tearing, artefacts etc. etc. - sure it may not be pre-rendered, but that doesn't mean the runtime environment wasn't heavily scripted & manipulated.

In any case, I'm not wowed by simply throwing more polygons and technology at an engine & the advances are clearly beginning to plateau at this stage. Besides, it may be built on an older version of Unreal, but something like Bioshock Ultimate demonstrates that all the polygons in the world mean nothing if they're not used with a little creativity & artistry. I've only played about an hour of the game, yet it's genuinely one of the more beautiful looking AA game I've played in years. Sure it doesn't have fancy shaders & whatnot, but it has amazing visuals all the same. I don't see how running on the Unreal 4 engine would make it any better, or any more attractive than it already is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to get overly excited because ultimately it's a completely closed environment & test. I'd rather see the engine in action, in a real and unrehearsed gameplay video. Clearly those videos would have been heavily massaged to reduce any clipping, tearing, artefacts etc. etc. - sure it may not be pre-rendered, but that doesn't mean the runtime environment wasn't heavily scripted & manipulated.
    It's a tech demo though, criticising it for not being a gameplay demo seems a bit bizarre.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    In any case, I'm not wowed by simply throwing more polygons and technology at an engine & the advances are clearly beginning to plateau at this stage. Besides, it may be built on an older version of Unreal, but something like Bioshock Ultimate demonstrates that all the polygons in the world mean nothing if they're not used with a little creativity & artistry. I've only played about an hour of the game, yet it's genuinely one of the more beautiful looking AA game I've played in years. Sure it doesn't have fancy shaders & whatnot, but it has amazing visuals all the same. I don't see how running on the Unreal 4 engine would make it any better, or any more attractive than it already is..
    Well that's a slightly different argument but one I most certainly agree with you on. The most powerful engine in the world is ultimately useless when paired with poor art direction. That, however, doesn't mean that in future games said direction can't be tailored to use the power next-gen engines bring to the table. I've not play Infinite yet so can't comment directly but, generally speaking, I highly doubt there aren't some features that UE4 brings to the table that wouldn't have helped it look better, even with its relatively unique style.

Advertisement