Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first mini - scared - loan?

• 29-03-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I want to buy a mini, I'm not picky, one from the 90s and should have an NCT to limit it's chances of breaking down on me. I'm considering taking out a loan of 3000 euro over a few years. My fear is that I won't be able to maintain the car and will end up selling it off, and be left with a loan. Any advice? Even better, could anyone add links to IRL reg minis that they think would be a good starter? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

the nct is not about the cars reliability only the cars safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think you need to go on an extended test drive in one before you make up your mind, I can recommend a good old mini mechanic in south dublin too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4732894

Full-18356742.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4769424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

and you will soon learn that the ntc has more to do with revnue than safety!
    have you driven any minis yet, they can be fun to drive but as the last poster said bring someone with you who knows about these cars, otherwise it could end up being a moneypit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4769424
    Looks nice, 1500 might buy it seeing as it's been lying up (rusty engine bay ?). PLUS - it's 1300cc for tax purposes (maybe Jap import as 30's were supposed to have 998 engine - http://www.boraman.com/mini30/aboutmini30.html ,) whereas an older 850-1000 is basic tax ??

This yoke doesn't look the best for 500 , let alone 1500 :eek:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4639241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Bigus wrote: »
    I think you need to go on an extended test drive in one before you make up your mind, I can recommend a good old mini mechanic in south dublin too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4732894

Full-18356743.jpeg
    The paint on that is a real patchwork quilt!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You'll be glad to know that minis are easy to work on. I've too and learnt alot of mechanics from them. There's a host of knowledge out to help you fix issues that may arise.

My main advice to you, as a mini owner, is look out for rust. That's what'll kill your pockets. Look for bubbling or resprays. Check below the windscreen and lift up the floor carpets. Look in the wheel arches and the base of the doors.

I love my minis. Always puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you can squeeze a few extra squids, I'd go for a pre-1980 one....cheap tax...no NCT required..would pay you in the end I guess and I would have thought no extra work to look after

Oh and I second the "look for rust" bit....everything else is DIY fixable I should think

One of the first cars I drove was a 1963 minivan...brilliant fun, can't think why I have never bought one!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Forgot to mention - this will be my everyday driver, and to make getting insured easier, it'll have to be a 90s mini complete with NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

dazey wrote: »
    Forgot to mention - this will be my everyday driver, and to make getting insured easier, it'll have to be a 90s mini complete with NCT

They are not an option to use everyday reliably. IMO you can get much more car for 3k that will serve you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd agree with that, long journeys will be tedious. A modern "super-mini" will be streets ahead in all but retro cool.

Naturally I'd suggest a 1.25 Fiesta which can be picked up for chip money in good order.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, long journeys will be tedious. A modern "super-mini" will be streets ahead in all but retro cool.

Naturally I'd suggest a 1.25 Fiesta which can be picked up for chip money in good order.

Even the maintenance required, greasing the suspension joints, regular servicing, adjusting points(if electronic ones aim fitted) , carb adjustment(if not spi or mpi) , using a manual choke, no power steering, rust, no abs, that couple with the fact that it's a mini, a real one, it's basically a barely road legal go kart, it's quite intimidating passing lorries, busses, 4x4 etc. they are noisey, and unless you modify the engine and box they are slow in 998cc compared to modern traffic.

Still that said, they are brilliant cars to have but don't be under any illusions they cost $$$$$ to maintain, I bought mine with savings, I do all the work myself, which has included a full engine rebuild, suspension , brakes and this car had a full mot when bought. I've 2 folders full of receipts for what I've spent I'd say it stands me over 13k over 6 years, it now currently is off the road awaiting new floors, sills, scuttle panel, a rear hinge panel and various repairs and a full new front end, and respray.

Don't get me started on nct and minis, they spent 10 mins trying to open the bonnet. If you do insist a pre 92 is best as emissions are less stringent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 craicdood

http://www.adverts.ie/car/austin/other-austin/1997-austin-for-sale/2646308

This is my everyday driver. love the car to bits. Dont worry bout reliability on these cars... its really not an issue as long as you regularly maintain them on a day to day basis(oil top ups and checking levels etc).

Define a long journey? I wouldn't be going on any particular long jaunts, mainly city driving

People seem to fall into two camps - one scare mongering newbies out of owning minis, the other saying that they are grand little runarounds if well maintained.

I know noooothing about mechanics, so realistically I'd be going to garages for this maintentance :o

I don't think spending money on a car you love, that is your past time effectively, is a bad thing. People can spend crazy money on golf, fashiony clothes etc so why not a car?

Define a long journey? I wouldn't be going on any particular long jaunts, mainly city driving

People seem to fall into two camps - one scare mongering newbies out of owning minis, the other saying that they are grand little runarounds if well maintained.

I know noooothing about mechanics, so realistically I'd be going to garages for this maintentance :o

I don't think spending money on a car you love, that is your past time effectively, is a bad thing. People can spend crazy money on golf, fashiony clothes etc so why not a car?

Maintained is the key word. I'm not scare mongering, I'm telling you my experience of my mini which I've owned for quite a bit and know inside and out.
    Best option is to buy a modern car for daily use and buy a mini for weekend use. You say you know nothing about mechanics, I do, and I can tell you that minis are great, they look fun, they are the best fun you can have in a car for feck all $$$.

Just don't be tight with the maintenance, you need these cars serviced by competent mechanics who know minis, not fast fit or the local Indy.

Btw how can your past time be just driving a mini around town? And paying somebody to maintain it? If you don't mind me asking, what age are you? I presume under 25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Good point you make Dazey about spending money on other pastimes ,
    Potentially you could get a lot more out of a mini than just transport and I like your way of thinking.

Don't mind the macho I wouldn't buy one of those unless your good with the spanners advice as I said I know a good mini mechanic , Campbell motors Nutgrove avenue dublin 14, maybe get him to look at any potential purchase.

Club forum here where you'll probably get loads of advice and I'm sure they like girls !

http://www.irishminis.ie/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its not scare mongering in relation to mechanics. Its advise saying the OP will save alot of money if they can fix it themselves. They're easy to fix, but things yo do wrong. More so than any modern day car.

kona wrote: »
    Just don't be tight with the maintenance, you need these cars serviced by competent mechanics who know minis, not fast fit or the local Indy.

Btw how can your past time be just driving a mini around town? And paying somebody to maintain it? If you don't mind me asking, what age are you? I presume under 25?

I expect to spend a good deal of money maintaining it at first, before gradually learning the ropes myself. I'm from a family where the men of the house look after the cars - I want to change that.

'Just driving a mini around' can be great fun, and I think I'd be quite happy tinkering about with the car on days off. Age is irrelevant. Thanks for the condescension though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭deckie27

Haven never driven a mini but have used classics daily for years get one... but don't buy one with your heart or the first you see.
    Go on the advice of a person who know minis be prepared to wait for the right one.

I expect to spend a good deal of money maintaining it at first, before gradually learning the ropes myself. I'm from a family where the men of the house look after the cars - I want to change that.

'Just driving a mini around' can be great fun, and I think I'd be quite happy tinkering about with the car on days off. Age is irrelevant. Thanks for the condescension though

Well join a mini club as has been mentioned.
    Good luck with whatever you buy but cars are expensive and can be dangerous to be fixing without supervision on some jobs, just be careful with what your getting into. If you do get one I suggest get these , you'll need imperial tooling as well as metric, also lots of special tools.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_172736_langId_-1_categoryId_212451

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_862421_langId_-1_categoryId_212410

There's no need to get all defensive, I'm not that old myself I asked your age because of your attitude and the fact you won't touch a pre 80 which I presume is due to insurance reasons I.e they don't insure under 25 on old cars. I'm not advising you not to go near a mini , do, they are great and you will learn as much as you want to put in. Just taking a LOAN out for one, plus maintenance may be crippling. I've no idea of your finances but I run two cars , one a mini, it's expensive. And the mini needs another 2-3k thrown at it.

When buying get the cleanest shell and subframes you can, mechanics ain't as important as they are cheaper to fix.

I've heard of a 2000 cooper sport going cheap, needs a few things but is generally solid . Pm me if you want more details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement