Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a really nice meal today in town!

Options
  • 29-03-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just want to do a review of the meal i had today for my partner and i and my 2 kids, I cant remember the name of the place, its the Italian accross from the entrance to City Square, the post office is just accross the road from it. Its in Italian so i hope im forgiven for forgetting the name.

Children ate free so they had any Pizza they wanted any size, or a Pasta Dish, So the two kids had a really nice pizza each for free, and i had a main my partner had a main and we also had a plate of selected meats, Tea and or Coffee was also free, it all came to 30 euro which i thought was very very good, the food was excellent and the side salads were very very tasty, so much so that i asked for another, I would deffinately recommend them the service and food was all perfect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

You really love starting threads, don't you?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Hi all, just want to do a review of the meal i had today for my partner and i and my 2 kids, I cant remember the name of the place, its the Italian accross from the entrance to City Square, the post office is just accross the road from it. Its in Italian so i hope im forgiven for forgetting the name.

Children ate free so they had any Pizza they wanted any size, or a Pasta Dish, So the two kids had a really nice pizza each for free, and i had a main my partner had a main and we also had a plate of selected meats, Tea and or Coffee was also free, it all came to 30 euro which i thought was very very good, the food was excellent and the side salads were very very tasty, so much so that i asked for another, I would deffinately recommend them the service and food was all perfect.

Do they still do the Guinness pizza in there which I am not joking is the nicest pizza that I have ever tasted, including any I have eaten in Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

O Riain wrote: »
    Do they still do the Guinness pizza in there which I am not joking is the nicest pizza that I have ever tasted, including any I have eaten in Italy!

Dont know if they do Guinness Pizza but the Pizza's that were on offer fantastic, Im sure the base is all bought in and topped in shop but they were lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Nice to hear of one happy punter on Good Friday .........we are so used to hearing negative stories in general .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dont know if they do Guinness Pizza but the Pizza's that were on offer fantastic, Im sure the base is all bought in and topped in shop but they were lovely

Would say they make the dough themselves, in fact I'd be certain of it, more than most other places around.

• Advertisement

Nice to hear of one happy punter on Good Friday .........we are so used to hearing negative stories in general .

I dont need alcohol to enjoy my day! To the other poster i do reckon they have the base made and brought in frozen, they simply take the frozen base out of the fridge and add their toppings, if you look at the bases they are all perfectly round and the same size to a T very hard to do that, they are very unifrom, very hard to do, Its also very hard to prepare fresh pizza base not knowing how many people you will have in in one day. Ive also experience of this frozen bases being used, that doesnt prove that they use them though, thats my disclaimer!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I dont need alcohol to enjoy my day! To the other poster i do reckon they have the base made and brought in frozen, they simply take the frozen base out of the fridge and add their toppings, if you look at the bases they are all perfectly round and the same size to a T very hard to do that, they are very unifrom, very hard to do, Its also very hard to prepare fresh pizza base not knowing how many people you will have in in one day. Ive also experience of this frozen bases being used, that doesnt prove that they use them though, thats my disclaimer!:D

I doubt they use them. Where would you get a Guinness Pizza base from? Seriously lads go in and try it, cant recommend it enough, hopefully they still do it!

O Riain wrote: »
    I doubt they use them. Where would you get a Guinness Pizza base from? Seriously lads go in and try it, cant recommend it enough, hopefully they still do it!

Is the base actually made out of Guinness? I know they changed their management there 1 year ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Wish I went there today instead of that rip off restaurant upstairs in city square. A coffee for me and mrs bingo 3 small fizzy drinks for the kids 2 slices of toast a fruit scone 2 blueberry muffins and a caramel slice Came to €21.50. I will not be returning. Maybe I am out of touch cos its something I rarely do but it struck me as a bit much.

Wish I went there today instead of that rip off restaurant upstairs in city square. A coffee for me and mrs bingo 3 small fizzy drinks for the kids 2 slices of toast a fruit scone 2 blueberry muffins and a caramel slice Came to €21.50. I will not be returning. Maybe I am out of touch cos its something I rarely do but it struck me as a bit much.

Im not one to eat out that often cos i dont often feel like im getting value for money, I mean i was out with my partner not so long ago for a chineese meal and the food was just okay, It ended up costing us the guts of 100 euros for a meal that i wasnt entirely wowed by, I mean if i had of got the same meal as a takeaway with 2 cokes and 2 main meals would have cost us half of that, the food all seemed generic pre made rubber that was tossed from a freezer into a pan and flung out to us, I know this is most likely not the case but I dont feel like i was getting value for money, no offence to waterford people but haven eaten abroad in France and Germany and Italy having lived there the food here just doesnt do it for me, maybe its just me, sorry, I have a chineese friend who told me she doesnt even understand whats written on the "Chineese" menu cos it doesnt make sense and the food they cook is european chineese and the food is catering food chineese style, with emphasiss on quantity not quality, anything tastse good smothered in garlic and chilli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I really think we should start a thread something along the lines of "restaurant of the month" and we all try and eat in there at some stage over the month and we have a little review and all.

Be a bit different wouldn't it? And good for local business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Im not one to eat out that often cos i dont often feel like im getting value for money, I mean i was out with my partner not so long ago for a chineese meal and the food was just okay, It ended up costing us the guts of 100 euros for a meal that i wasnt entirely wowed by, I mean if i had of got the same meal as a takeaway with 2 cokes and 2 main meals would have cost us half of that, the food all seemed generic pre made rubber that was tossed from a freezer into a pan and flung out to us, I know this is most likely not the case but I dont feel like i was getting value for money, no offence to waterford people but haven eaten abroad in France and Germany and Italy having lived there the food here just doesnt do it for me, maybe its just me, sorry, I have a chineese friend who told me she doesnt even understand whats written on the "Chineese" menu cos it doesnt make sense and the food they cook is european chineese and the food is catering food chineese style, with emphasiss on quantity not quality, anything tastse good smothered in garlic and chilli

You've got to be kidding me. Waterford and Ireland overall has some of the best places to go and eat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dough is as easy to make as it gets, an Italian restaurant that isn't making their dough may as well give up!

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me. Waterford and Ireland overall has some of the best places to go and eat out.

Thats your opinion, I think there are alot of places that are turning out tripe, and charging Ritz money for it.

Pizza dough is easy to make but if your sitting there after ordering food and waiting for them to add water to flour kneed it for 15 minutes and leave it to prove for another 15 20 minutes and then roll it out perfectly like all the other bases to a certain size, sorry but that would take ages, and i know for a fact that alot of places that have pizza on their menu use frozen bases and just add their toppings. next time your in their ask them do they use fresh Dough, you do know that shops like dunnes and Tescos who make their own bread make it from frozen dough thats brough in right? its not un heard of.
    anyway like i said if youve got kids you cant beat an offer like ANY pizza any size, you can also have pasta dishes free, basicly kids eat free, Tea and Coffee is also thrown in for free you cant whack that, I also think the Idea Ziedth had was a good one, I would like to try that polish place Koliba, I would just also like to add that i have worked in a place that does good business food sales wise but i would never ever eat there not after seeing what i saw.

Advertisement