Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscribers who are "Banned"

Options
  • 29-03-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

A large number of subscribers use the word Banned under their username. It is both confusing and (to touchy people like myself) annoying.

It was funny once. Once. Now it just looks like half the users on boards are banned.

It is confusing to see if someone has in fact been sitebanned.

How do Admins, mods and the general unwashed feel about ending this practice?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They shouldn't be doing it, and I thought that the tech guys had put something in place to stop people doing it, but I could be thinking of something else. Can't say I've noticed any myself, but if you see any please report them in the same way you'd report a sig and we can take a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Zaph wrote: »
    They shouldn't be doing it, and I thought that the tech guys had put something in place to stop people doing it, but I could be thinking of something else. Can't say I've noticed any myself, but if you see any please report them in the same way you'd report a sig and we can take a look at them.

You could be thinking of "closed account", as far as I know you can't put that under your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Zaph wrote: »

Is it officially against site rules? Can't I have ever seen it mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Exiled is not much better.

Both are tools of the attention seeker.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

LizT wrote: »
    You could be thinking of "closed account", as far as I know you can't put that under your username.

Yeah, that's probably it. Thanks Liz.
    MadsL wrote: »
    Is it officially against site rules? Can't I have ever seen it mentioned.

I don't think it's explicitly mentioned, but it is misleading and therefore not something we would want to encourage. In the Terms of Use we reserve the right to change usernames that misrepresent the poster's relationship[ with Boards, and I'd put this in the same bracket.
    6.1 Usernames

We would recommend you choose a pseudonym and do not use your real name (or a derivative of it) when joining boards.ie. You may not select or use a username that:

* Contains "Boards" or otherwise misrepresents your relationship with boards.ie or any other party;
    * Contains any profanity, is vulgar or offensive, or promotes an illegal activity;
    * Violates any trade mark or other proprietary right; or
    * Misleadingly impersonates someone else.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Exiled is not much better.

Both are tools of the attention seeker.

Personally I don't have a problem with Exiled as it's not a standard system tagline in the same way that Banned and Closed Account are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think "Moderator" was the one that the lads blocked a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think "Moderator" was the one that the lads blocked a few years ago.

Pretty sure Zaph is right,I remember a couple of years ago this came up and afair "banned" couldn't be used as a tag as it was causing confusion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Necronos wrote: »
    Pretty sure Zaph is right,I remember a couple of years ago this came up and afair "banned" couldn't be used as a tag as it was causing confusion.

I've just changed my tag-line to "Banned", but it's coming up as ******.

I reckon the OP is seeing variations that are made to look like "Banned".
    I've seen Binned, Band, Bunned and a few others myself.

I reckon the OP is seeing variations that are made to look like "Banned".
    I've seen Binned, Band, Bunned and a few others myself.

How strange? Definitely saw "Banned". One sec, will try to find one.

This is driving me nuts. Will revert when I find one.

Maybe I am just losing the plot. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Could you change it to banned like you can filter swear words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

MadsL wrote: »
    This is driving me nuts. Will revert when I find one.

Maybe I am just losing the plot. :o
    I'd say it was binned. It caught me.

Theirs a banned with funny n in it, but thats obvious enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooh, I'm going to try this now- does the same happen with 'closed account', yeah?

Posy wrote: »
    Ooh, I'm going to try this now- does the same happen with 'closed account', yeah?

Give it a go! It happens with Banned and Moderator anyway.

Closed account just comes up as
    ****** account.

Yeah, banned and moderator just appear as ****** and *********

I tried getting around it with the 'swear filter' method but that doesn't work either.

Maybe half the users on boards really are banned. The power has really gone to Gordon's head lately. :pac:

****** account.

I tried getting around it with the 'swear filter' method but that doesn't work either.

Maybe half the users on boards really are banned. The power has really gone to Gordon's head lately. :pac:

Nah, it's Mr E. Banning people left, right and centre since he got the power :p

Oooh, now you're going to be next, Liz!! :eek:

Oooh, now you're going to be next, Liz!! :eek:

:(

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

Well, if he decides to be lenient and just de-mod you, at least you can change your tagline to moderat.... oh, wait. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I probably shouldn't be encouraging this, but re IO's modified Moderator tagline he might have seen before, I've seen "Mooderator" somewhere around before, can't be sure if it was actually on boards though or another discussion forum I was on at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're probably just using the [nofilter] tag, available to subscribers with over 20,000 posts.

^

Head explodes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They're probably just using the [nofilter] tag, available to subscribers with over 20,000 posts.

There's a nofilter tag? The second I get to 20k I'm subbing and just cursing everywhere :D

I'm not sure if I believe in this nofilter shenanigans... but it says 'banned!!' I don't know what to think- it's like my world has been turned upside down!! :eek:

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't be encouraging this, but re IO's modified Moderator tagline he might have seen before, I've seen "Mooderator" somewhere around before, can't be sure if it was actually on boards though or another discussion forum I was on at the time.

There was a subscriber with Moodrater as their tag here a couple of years back. I thought that was a clever one!

So, pickarooney. Any hints?

I see how he/she did it. Sneaky. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

****** account.

I placed "mod: The Christmas Countdown thread" in my "location" section recently- just for fun, that's all. I didn't think anymore of it and certainly didn't think anyone would take it seriously.

It was apparently brought to the attention of an Admin, and edited by an admin ( very courteously I might add)- I can see how it could mislead now but a lot of people do put funny things either in their "location" or especially where "registered user" appears, when they are a subscriber.

Unless you change totally, to distinguish how a mod appears to other other users, I don't know how you'll avoid this.

Karsini wrote: »
    :confused:

:(

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Karsini wrote: »

In soviet Russia, tagline Ьan you.

Advertisement