Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Graphics Driver

Options
  • 29-03-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on this? My computer downloaded a Windows update during the week and when I restarted the screen stayed blank, Windows loaded normally as I could hear the startup chime. I rebooted in safe mode and tried uninstalling the graphics driver and Windows loaded fine but when it reinstalled the driver the same problem happened again.

Since I'm not a computer expert I brought it to a local repair shop and they were able to restore some settings and I left with what appeared to be a fully functioning laptop again. Unfortunately I soon realised that the laptop was operating without a graphics driver and is stuck on 1024X768 resolution which doesnt suit the screen, and can only load very basic functions like internet, MSOffice and games like solitaire (which run extremely slowly). I tried downloading the correct driver from the Asus support website but when the same problem returned I disabled it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I return the laptop to the repair shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ARCD wrote: »
    I tried downloading the correct driver from the Asus support website but when the same problem returned I disabled it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I return the laptop to the repair shop?

What model graphics card is in the laptop ? chances are Asus' website is outdated anyway, so it wouldn't do any harm trying to install the latest drivers from whomever makes your GPU, also, what resolution should the screen be running at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

Its an Intel graphics card, up until Tuesday it was running perfect with Intel HD Graphics driver and have downloaded this direct from Intel's website too but my laptop now apparently doesn't meet the requirements so the installation failed.

I think the screen was set to 1280X720 but I'm not sure. I know it was higher than 1024X768 anyway and that's now the highest setting possible, display seems stretched

EDIT: Tried installing from Intel website again and this time it succeeded but the original problem reoccured

It sounds like either the update from Windows borked the graphics driver then, or the actual GPU is faulty. Can you roll back your Windows to an earlier date by any chance ?

Deano12345 wrote: »
    It sounds like either the update from Windows borked the graphics driver then, or the actual GPU is faulty. Can you roll back your Windows to an earlier date by any chance ?

Do you mean using System Restore? That's giving me the option of a restore point directly before the update that started the problem, could that fix my laptop?

ARCD wrote: »
    Do you mean using System Restore? That's giving me the option of a restore point directly before the update that started the problem, could that fix my laptop?

Yep ! It could well fix the problem, and if it doesn't, its another thing thats ruled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

boot in to windows by pressing f8 then vga mode this will load windows in full mode but with the graphics driver disabled... uninstall the graphics driver (check the delete this driver from the system option) then once done download the correct driver from intel (never use microsoft drivers for graphics cos they generally suck)

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Yep ! It could well fix the problem, and if it doesn't, its another thing thats ruled out

Tried System Restore, just led back to the same problem again
    boot in to windows by pressing f8 then vga mode this will load windows in full mode but with the graphics driver disabled... uninstall the graphics driver (check the delete this driver from the system option) then once done download the correct driver from intel (never use microsoft drivers for graphics cos they generally suck)

Have Windows running with graphics driver disabled, tried uninstalling and downloading direct from Intel but didn't help.

Think I'm just gonna bring it back to the repair shop in the morning

Thanks for all the advice, just collected the laptop from the repair shop. Windows had to be reinstalled and is now working perfectly, cost just €35

Advertisement