Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 without a US bank account

Options
  • 29-03-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Well this will be my first time going to the US, I am going to NY.

I dont plan on opening a US bank account from the horror stories I heard from people opening them and having trouble with fees/closing them after.

Can anyone give me some advice at what other options I have for getting paid, storing money etc.

Thanks in advance!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

I got paid in cash and cheque (cash tips and cheque wages) - you'll still pay tax on your tips btw if you work in the service industry. I opened an account with chase, no hassle at all - if you open a student account, you have free banking until you graduate. They require the usual passport, proof of address and social security number. You can use your social security letter as proof of address, provided it was mailed to your address in the US. The only other fee's they will charge is if you use your atm card at an atm that is not theirs - bank of america etc.
    Just ask them what their charges are and be smart - you'll have no problem. Closing an account is simple as long as you dont owe them money, which you shouldnt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I had a student account with Chase that didn't have any charges on it. It's quite handy to have.

Advertisement