Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent in Christchurch

• 29-03-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi all, moving to Christchurch in the next few weeks, and will be looking for a place to live. I will be working as a geotech engineer in the rebuild.

Since there is so many boardies in NZ, what do you fine people recommend to go about finding a place? Good websites, or should I trust in word of mouth and my Irish charm? is it all contract or are arrangements more informal? Will being Irish work against me, as I found it does in OZ?

My job is in Wigram, so I suppose anywhere south or west of the city is ideal, any ideas where to live and where to avoid?

Finally, how is Christchurch as a place to live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGreenOne

Hi Waestrel,

I just arrived in Christchurch yesterday, I had no issues sorting out a place to live before I left Ireland.
    I used this website http://www.easyroommate.co.nz/ :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I found my place on Gumtree, try trademe also it's got a good few places. Can be hard enough to get a place, few Irish lads I met where stuck in a hostel for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Also, what does "sleep out " mean in lodging terms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Waestrel wrote: »

Exactly that. A one bedroom sleep out. Roughly 10 feet by 6. You can get a bed in there and a not a whole pile else. It's bloody hard get a place. I was looking for my current place for more than a month. Do it sooner rather than later as its quite hard get a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Waestrel wrote: »

A building outside of the main house, usually without running water or toilet. Size can vary, depending on what it was originally intended built as. Building standards (water-tightness, insulation, draft-proof, etc) can also vary widely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement