Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand in June

Options
  • 29-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

How's it going, after some deliberation I decided to book flights to Thailand for May 26th, staying until June 26th. Alot of conflicting opinions and advice regarding weather in Thailand at that time of year, but It's really the only time I'll get to go this year or next, so I decided to do it. I know it's the start of the rainy season but from what I've read it doesn't seem to be too bad, particularly on the South East Islands (Koh Tao, Samui etc).

Just wondering if anyone has been to Thailand at the end of May/June and if so, could you share any tips or recommend a good route to take to make the most of the 4 weeks? Did you find the rain a problem? Does it rain that much at that time of the year?

My very broad itinerary is as follows:

*2 nights in Bangkok
    *Travel to Siem Reap in Cambodia, spend 2 nights
    *1 night in Bangkok
    *Train south to the Islands, Koh Samui, probably stay on Koh Tao for a few days, spend maybe 12 days or so on the islands.
    *Across to Phi Phi and if I have enough time Chiang Mai in the North before heading back to Bangkok for the last night and home.

Any tips or opinions on this itinerary are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Ok firstly dont worry about the weather, you might get a couple of rainy days on the west coast but you probably wont see any rain anywhere else bar the odd quick heavy downpour.
    Secondly you are underestimating the time from bangkok to siem reap, unless you fly you will be spending a full day getting there and a full day getting back.
    And thirdly DO NOT miss out on chiang mai, it is a million times better than the beaches. You can get a cheap flight with air asia from phuket to chinag mai and a cheap flight from chiang mai to bangkok to save time.
    Air asia are having a massive sale tomorrow or day after, im not certain if these routes are included but have a look anyway.
    Also if you do decide to fly chiang mai to bangkok, air asia are in a different airport to international flights so just bear that in mind if your flight home is soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Thanks for the info whatsyourquota, much appreciated! That's good to know that the rain won't be constant, just when you hear "rainy season" you paint a different picture in your head you know! I've decided to keep Siem Reap til the end because apparently you only get a 15 day visa coming back to Thailand by land, whereas I'll have a 30 day visa when I land in Bangkok initially, so better to do Thailand and then at the end back to Bangkok, to Siem Reap and then home. Thanks for the info on cheap flights, I'm thinking of doing the night trains to save on accommodation for some parts of the trip. Cheers!

Advertisement