Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comply or Tri

Options
  • 29-03-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

OK, so I've just come from running the Barcelona marathon on Paddys day. I find the running tough on the body though so want to mix the training up a bit. So, maybe a bit snappily, I registered for the By Hook Or By Crook sprint tri. 750m swim, 20k cycle, 7k run.

I'm not afraid of water but I've never swam any distance before, I have absolutely no gear except a cross bike, so heres hoping it all comes together over the next eleven weeks.

I've picked out a wet suit, tri suit and goggles on wiggle, so should be able to try open water swimming soon, in the mean time, it's into the pool. I want to make a real go of thisso I'm going to use this to log food as well as that's always been my weakness. Also packing in smoking and try to drink less, have to allow myself a couple of cans once a week. No takeaways, no soft drinks, no sweets, a little chocolate maybe.

So there you have it, just recovering from a chest infection at the moment so hope to start Monday / Tuesday. I'm thinking 2 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes a week to start with and hopefully will have the energy to add one more session or two as the weeks go on.

So wish me luck, all feedback welcome :).

By the way, Male, 33, 13 stone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Good luck with this.

Have you picked out the wetsuit & trisuit based on some you have tried in a local store or are you guessing the sizes? If guessing I would advise a visit to a good local retailer where you can try them on. If you get hooked on this lark it's worth having a well fitting wetsuit & trisuit that you can get a couple of seasons use.

A cross bike will do the job if you have slick tyres on it.

I've heard good reports about Hook or by Crook and you obviously have no fear by picking an open water (sea) swim for you first tri so just go for it and hopefully you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Thanks Ray O. Yes I'm guessing on sizes, after following the comments Q and As and asking a few Qs of my own. I'll Google the nearest shop now.

I've already put slicks on my bike and I'm going to get it serviced during the week. Hopefully I'll love it, the pics of the event last year look great and it's only down the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you! And definitely get off the cigs. ;):)

Advertisement