Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family on Rent Supplement

Options
  • 29-03-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Evening everyone :))

Didn't know which forum to post this so said I'd try here :)

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in together with our 13month old DS. I'm on lone parent and he's gone back to do his Leaving Cert on VTOS. Just wondering how do we go about doing this and how does it work, does our money get put together and what happens as he's on VTOS and I'm hoping to do a course through VTOS in September too. We also want to be down legite and not frauding the system :)

Any advice greatly appreciated Many thanks emma :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

youandme13 wrote: »

Your better off asking in the state benefits forum,

Okay I will do thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Aren't you defrauding the government since you have a boyfriend and claiming one parent?

PinkFly wrote: »
    Aren't you defrauding the government since you have a boyfriend and claiming one parent?

How am I when below are the rules from citizens information from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rules

To qualify for a One-Parent Family Payment (OFP) you must:

Be under 66 (at 66 you become eligible for a State pension)
    Be the parent, step-parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian of a qualified child.
    Be the main carer of at least one qualified child and that child must live with you. OFP is not payable if the parents have joint equal custody of a child or children.
    Have earnings of €425 or less per week
    Satisfy a means test
    Be habitually resident
    Not be living with a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting
    If you are separated, divorced or your civil partnership is dissolved you must:

Have been living apart from your spouse or civil partner for at least 3 months
    Have made efforts to get maintenance from your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)
    Be inadequately maintained by your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)

We dont live together so were not defrauding!!

• Advertisement

The hint is in the name of the payment One Parent Family, your child is lucky enough to have two parents raising them, therefore you defrauding the government. You are in a relationship so both if you have joint custody of the child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The hint is in the name of the payment One Parent Family, your child is lucky enough to have two parents raising them, therefore you defrauding the government. You are in a relationship so both if you have joint custody of the child?

Thats not how it works. Many parents live apart for a variety of reasons, yet still parent together. It is not defrauding the system. I think you are referring to deserted wives payment which was abolished years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's not get bogged down in that.

Have a look here:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

There is a maximum that you can pay, depending on where you live. This is the total amount that you pay the landlord, less any services provided by the landlord, e.g. bins, heating, electricity.

You will need to pay a certain proportion of your own rent - I think €35 for a couple.

Assuming your income is then less than the specified level, you will receive the amount of the rent less your contribution. If your income is above that level, you may receive a partial payment.

You need to fill in this form: http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/swa_rs1.pdf and get your prospective landlord to fill in the rest. It may be useful to talk to the Department of Social Protection first either http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Central-Rents-Units.aspx or at your local health centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Get jobs. Then you can live where you like, all above board and without even a hint of fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Surely the boyfriend also has joint equal custody as father so that automatically means One-parent allowance is not payable. It says it as clear as day. And the child's father, who is your boyfriend, has refused to support you? Nice.....it does say maintenance though, which I presume is because One-parent allowances are for parents who have no other partner, parent or support. Which is clearly your case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

youandme13 wrote: »
    Evening everyone :))

Didn't know which forum to post this so said I'd try here :)

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in together with our 13month old DS. I'm on lone parent and he's gone back to do his Leaving Cert on VTOS. Just wondering how do we go about doing this and how does it work, does our money get put together and what happens as he's on VTOS and I'm hoping to do a course through VTOS in September too. We also want to be down legite and not frauding the system :)

Any advice greatly appreciated Many thanks emma :))

What is a DS and where can you find one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Get jobs. Then you can live where you like, all above board and without even a hint of fraud.

To be fair the boyfriend is going back to do his leaving cert. which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

dissed doc wrote: »
    Surely the boyfriend also has joint equal custody as father so that automatically means One-parent allowance is not payable. It says it as clear as day. And the child's father, who is your boyfriend, has refused to support you? Nice.....it does say maintenance though, which I presume is because One-parent allowances are for parents who have no other partner, parent or support. Which is clearly your case.

The question she wants answered is how does she go about being legit. This is a positive thing.

The question she wants answered is how does she go about being legit. This is a positive thing.

I think by her response to my post she doesn't believe she is doing anything wrong?
    It's things like this that give OPF recievers a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

That is a pretty unhelpful reply. The OP is planning to go back to study in September and her boyfriend is currently studying. I presume this is to better themselves and become more employable in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ElleEm wrote: »
    That is a pretty unhelpful reply. The OP is planning to go back to study in September and her boyfriend is currently studying. I presume this is to better themselves and become more employable in the future.
    Grand. In that case, I suggest that they stay put wherever they currently are until they have jobs and are able to support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On-topic, constructive posts only please. When I issue an instruction, I expect it to be followed.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    "Darling son" or similar.
    I think by her response to my post she doesn't believe she is doing anything wrong?
    And it is quite possible that she would no longer be entitled to OPF payments as her situation changes, but that is irrelevant to the point at hand.
    It's things like this that give OPF recievers a bad reputation.
    And bigotry and prejudice has nothing to do with it?
    Surely the boyfriend also has joint equal custody as father
    Who mentioned fathers?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

ebixa82 wrote: »

Nintendo make them, you can pick one up at Smyths or Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

We don't know these girls circumstances. We can only advise based on what info she has given us. Maybe her boyfriend is not the child father for example. It will be up to the community welfare officer to determine if the OP and her BF have already been living together as legally defined. Point to relevent legislation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

OP, you are not living with your boyfriend at the moment so are doing nothing wrong by claiming one parent family payment.
    Well done to your boyfriend for going back to finish his leaving cert.

If/when you move in together you won't be able to claim one parent family payment. One of you will need to claim a payment and claim for the other person as an adult dependent and also claim for your son as a child dependent.

With regards to which payment, I'm not fully sure of how it works when one person is in a VTOS scheme but check out the citizens info website or as advised, the benefits section.

The next port of call would be the community welfare officer in your locality to establish if you are both eligible for rent allowance. There are various criteria you would have to meet, including going on the local authority housing list.

Pay no heed to those who are quick to judge. You and your partner are trying to build a family unit for your child. Unfortunately there is a welfare trap when it comes to being parenting alone and moving in with someone tends to be difficult to do.
    I was that soldier 9 years ago and I remember it being very difficult to get off welfare and back to work while trying to rent privately and pay childcare. Got there in the end but it's a hard slog and I'm not sure people who haven't been there could understand the logistics.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Notwithstanding the Moderator's request to remain on topic, can I respectfully suggest that you educate yourself on the rights of unmarried fathers in Ireland?

Advertisement