Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 28 Days Later a Zombie Film?

• 29-03-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm relatively new to these parts (ish) so apologies if this has be debated already. I'm sitting in watching 28 Days at the moment.

Just watched
    Brendan Gleeson get put down
    and they didn't shoot him in the head if I'm correct?

Also runners...zombies rarely run...

Now I can see the obvious reasons why its a zombie flick, but it doesn't tick all the boxes for me....

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Also, they don't die then return. They get infected and become one while alive.

But I still count it as a zombie film, and in my opinion, one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

traditional zombies require a headshot, 28 days/weeks later they are just infected with the rage virus, which is similar generically but not a traditional Romero zombie.

Still both pretty decent films, especially the first one with Gleeson, he stole the show for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Gleeson was simply fantastic in it...

But imo still a great film, and until tonight I never even considered not being a z movie....then it dawned on me that it doesn't tick all the boxes...

Watching the sequel now and i barely remember it at all..thought ive watched this loads...love when this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Great films! even had a bit of Godspeed You! Black Emperor in 28 Days Later. The post apocalyptic, Post-Rock masters themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zombies are dead, in 28 days later they are infected people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Yeah, technically they are people infected with the rage virus, but I'd consider it to be a zombie film. Bloody terrifying, and the sequel is excellent aswell. I'd love to see a 28 Months Later but it would have to have some sort of Danny Boyle involvement to work, and I don't think that's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

And what about I Am Legend???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

what about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

That's a film that could have been great and only turned out average at best. The 'creatures' in that are a bit of a hybrid of a zombie and a vampire I think, moreso vampire. I didn't consider them zombies anyway. In the book that the movie is based on they maintain some of their old selves, so some of the 'vampire/zombies' would sit outside the survivors house and call to him, I think one of the female ones even flashed a bit of boob iirc! Very creepy book that I'd definitely recommend. Pity about the film, but thought Will Smith was great and loved the bits where himself and the dog would just roam around during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I am legend was pure shít and even writing this is more thought then it deserves.

28 Days/Weeks is not a zombie flick, More in the realm of Viral apocalypse. The infected don't want to eat you, they only want to attack and kill you. They die of hunger and do not re-animate. They are not dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 SpiderHead

There is an I Am Legend screenplay that I thought was really good, much better than the actual movie.
    http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/legend.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

SpiderHead wrote: »
    There is an I Am Legend screenplay that I thought was really good, much better than the actual movie.
    http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/legend.txt

Reading this now, I wish the movie was more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

In walking dead they have it easy, you can walk at a fast space and will never catch you, 28 day/weeks later i couldn't out run them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    In walking dead they have it easy, you can walk at a fast space and will never catch you, 28 day/weeks later i couldn't out run them.
    Eventually you will tire and have to stop and then they'll get you. nom nom nom :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I love this forum, its like a mini holiday from the real world.
    And a well of great knowledge when Z day comes.

I mean what more could you ask for in a forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Numbers come into play, you get pinned down somewhere and you are goosed.

The WD Zeds could be around for a very very long time where as the infected from 28 days will only last a month or so before they die from starvation/body falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

The starvation thing was something I only picked up on the second time around. TWD z's seem to keep going and going until they get done...

But there was a thread recently on walkers vs runners and I believe the majority preferred walkers...like jesus if it were to happen and it was walkers, everyone has the chance to step up and be a hero...think TWD, everyone has killed a Z, but runners will screw up humanity quicker than you can say head shot...and thats actually a good example of the problem :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

El Spearo wrote: »
    The starvation thing was something I only picked up on the second time around. TWD z's seem to keep going and going until they get done...

But there was a thread recently on walkers vs runners and I believe the majority preferred walkers...like jesus if it were to happen and it was walkers, everyone has the chance to step up and be a hero...think TWD, everyone has killed a Z, but runners will screw up humanity quicker than you can say head shot...and thats actually a good example of the problem :P
    Even though I know they're not technically zombies in 28 Days Later, for me it is more realistic that they can starve and die. I know that zombies are supposed to have something which makes a part of the brain at the stem function at a basic level (or something like that) but I just can't accept that they can live indefinitely. Say I invented a never ending fuel. Just because I put this in my car it doesn't mean that my car will run forever without maintanence.

Zombies should die after a certain level of time. Maybe they are able to function at reduced levels but no way can any biological organism survive indefinitely. I also like that in 28 Days later, at least they have hope. If they can survive long enough until all the infected starve, then they have some chance of rebuilding their lives. I love the Walking Dead but what chance do they have if everyone is going to turn into a zombie, whether they get bit or not? I haven't read the comics so please don't tell me if this has been addressed in them :P

One advantage you have when facing runners rather than walkers is that walkers can smell people whereas runners can't. Runners might be faster but you could hide easier from them. I should probably go find the walkers vs runners thread lol......

Zombies don't live forever they are still prone to weathering, if fact they're more prone to weathering because they have no way to repair themselves.

It's been argued here at length and we've come to the conclusion that if a zombie lasted five years in one piece it would be doing very well. It's also got a very limited energy source, that being itself. Without a working digestive system and heart to pump blood around the body it's only energy source is it's own tissues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ScumLord wrote: »
    Zombies don't live forever they are still prone to weathering, if fact they're more prone to weathering because they have no way to repair themselves.

It's been argued here at length and we've come to the conclusion that if a zombie lasted five years in one piece it would be doing very well. It's also got a very limited energy source, that being itself. Without a working digestive system and heart to pump blood around the body it's only energy source is it's own tissues.

There is where it gets down to the technical nitty griity. Depending in the virus and how slow it eats the body away. Effectively a virus could embalm the body and suspend decomposition, while the virus tries to spread itself around, I.E through infecting others.

Nearly 6 billion people is a lot of hosts, it could last years and years depending on how the virus was spread. Air borne, fluids etc. A few infected corpses in a river or well could infect a whole village or town.

• Advertisement

There is where it gets down to the technical nitty griity. Depending in the virus and how slow it eats the body away. Effectively a virus could embalm the body and suspend decomposition, while the virus tries to spread itself around, I.E through infecting others.
    If it were any relation to the Norovirus it would be highly resilient. That virus can survive outside of the body for weeks and just 40 little virus cells are enough to infect compared to thousands for flu.

Advertisement