Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Fish Mongers do a 'Fish Pie' selection??

Options
  • 30-03-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Hi All

To be honest - I have NEVER frequented a Fish Mongers .. I am truly embarrassed to say that !!!

However - I love Fish / Fish Pies/ Chowder when dining out and recently have seen a number of recipes for same and would fancy cooking same at home

Would you think I could buy 'reasonably' a selection of ingredients in a Fish Mongers for a Fish Pie. I don't really want to buy whole fillets etc myself and break it down etc.. I guess this would be costly as well. Could you just ask for a 'Fish Pie Selection' that would have the odd mussel, crab claw, salmon piece etc??

Well... what do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Masala wrote: »
    Hi All

To be honest - I have NEVER frequented a Fish Mongers .. I am truly embarrassed to say that !!!

However - I love Fish / Fish Pies/ Chowder when dining out and recently have seen a number of recipes for same and would fancy cooking same at home

Would you think I could buy 'reasonably' a selection of ingredients in a Fish Mongers for a Fish Pie. I don't really want to but whole fillets etc myself and break it down etc.. I guess this would be costly as well. Could you just ask for a 'Fish Pie Selection' that would have the odd mussel, crab claw, salmon piece etc??

Well... what do you think??

in a word - yes.

I'm in south Dublin and all the local fishmongers in Dublin 16 do a fish pie mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Many thanks... what kind of price would you say for 3 Adults??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, they'll have a mix, but it's usually a mix of salmon, a smoked fish and a white fish. They don't typically include shellfish (I add my own).

Haven't a clue what the price is, though. Probably depends on what exact fish are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Smoked Coly is great for a fish pie. Tail pieces are the best to ask for too because there's less bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My local fishmonger does a fish pie mix . Most do.

Also, fishmongers are very accomodating. If the fishmonger you go to doesn't do a mix, tell them what you want and they will
    sort you out by cutting bits for you .

The price is likely to be apprxox 12 a kilo ( a guess based on the price of the gish that they usually use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Don't know if you're near the area, but Fitzsimon's Fishmongers, just opposite the Submarine do a lovely selection of pre-packed fish dishes-all made by them and just packed in a handy dish, ready for the oven.

They were the focus of an episode of Fergal Quinn's Retail Therapy about a year ago and the place has had a complete refurb and looks the biz now.

I know you're looking for a fish pie, but you should try their mackerel-always great value and delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Yeah they do, I thought all fish mongers would.

My local guys usually have two or three different types, they are around the same prices, but of course how much you pay depends on how much you get.

You could go in and say I was €10 worth of X mix, but then €10 mightn't be enough for three people to be honest.

Go in and talk to them, if they want your custom they will help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I've had dirty looks from one fishmonger asking for 200 grams of x fish and 300 grams of Y fish - even though they were being taken from big fillets that would have been cut up into similar portions. It was like I was wasting his time or something even though the bill was well over 20 euro in the end.

Haven't used him since and found another fishmonger only too delighted to help out.

OP, loads of both large supermarkets and fishmongers would have off cuts diced that they sell for fish stews etc. - they'll have a big round bowl of the stuff sitting there on ice. I just like choosing my own preferred fish for those dishes as I don't want it too heavy on smoked fish, which they usually have a lot of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Faith wrote: »
    Yes, they'll have a mix, but it's usually a mix of salmon, a smoked fish and a white fish. They don't typically include shellfish (I add my own).

Haven't a clue what the price is, though. Probably depends on what exact fish are used.

Hi Faith,

Good Fish in Bishopstown sell the 3 fish you mention above at a combined e8.99kg which is good value IMO.

Alternatively, you can get these combined fish frozen in Tesco which I use all the time when making fish cakes for the kids - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3627/simple-fish-cakes is the recipe I use.

Loire.

Advertisement