Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietary Needs

Options
  • 30-03-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

In waterford theres not too much in the way of Cafes and Restaurants that cater to the likes of Veggie / Vegan or Celiac.. Can anyone give me heads up on anything about? im a gluten free head myself but im sure theres more than me out there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I don't know strict vege or strict gluten-free restaurant. But nowadays every head chef keeps sort of vege and coeliac options in the menu. If you can't see coeliac options in the menu that means you're in Subway.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

My wife is Vegan and Azzurro in Dunmore East take amazing care of her every time we go, which is about once a week. Also amazing value with 2 courses and a glass of wine for 21.50. I myself eat most things and again I don't know any other restaurant as good with regards to portion sizes, quality of food and value.
    The fish of the day dish is a great option...
    The chef there will do up almost anything you want so just be brave and ask.

Another two that look after my wife every time is Café Goa on the Quay, just make sure that they know not to put butter or dairy in the dishes. The are all made from scratch so easy for them to do exactly what you want.
    LaAthmosphere also will do up some yummy food if asked. Just make sure you tell the Head-chef and not only a waiter or waitress.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

My wife is Vegan and Azzurro in Dunmore East take amazing care of her every time we go, which is about once a week. Also amazing value with 2 courses and a glass of wine for 21.50. I myself eat most things and again I don't know any other restaurant as good with regards to portion sizes, quality of food and value.
    The fish of the day dish is a great option...
    The chef there will do up almost anything you want so just be brave and ask.

Another two that look after my wife every time is Café Goa on the Quay, just make sure that they know not to put butter or dairy in the dishes. The are all made from scratch so easy for them to do exactly what you want.
    Enjoy

I can vouch for the above. I am a Coeliac and was in Azzurro the other night. Very Coeliac friendly, in fact the owner (Adriano?) told me that he himself has a wheat allergy so he is very clued into the requirements of Coeliacs. As well as that, it is a fantastic place to eat and would rate it above other local Italian restaurants.
    Also, as said above, Cafe Goa is also another great option for Coeliacs and is another fine restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

I found a facebook page that is just for waterford actually, its bringing people together that have a few diet problems..
    If its ok with the mods ill post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Good to see Lidl near superquinn have a GF section now, with stuff like sardough bread, chocolate teacakes which are delicious I'm told, chocolate chip biscuits etc, which seem to be selling well and of course cheaper than the rest.

There is some rip off in the pricing of GF food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

sabai is also very good for Coeliac dishes.

the Gluten Free Group thing on FB is Waterford Free From Foodies

they talk about all dietary needs

Just found out about the Pantry! looks like ill be heading there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Anyone been to the Pantry, open till 6pm. Could you get a GF hot mains course and soup starter. Any need to book!

yeah i go there quite a bit! its delish :D
    no need to book, its a cafe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

My daughter cant tolerate gluten and I would add to the Cafe Goa advice as a place which will readily accept and dish out a varied menu so check it out if you can

• Advertisement

all the indian restaurants are brill.. they mainly use gram flour instead of wheat!
    Espresso also do loads of gluten free stuff including pizza and pastas.

Advertisement