Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Korea has entered a state of war with the south

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Merch wrote: »
    Artillery barrage launched, time to start ****ting ourselves

Do you think we'll see the big blast before it's reported on Sky News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Montroseee wrote: »
    Their people are brainwashed to the max. They fund a ridiculously large army while many citizens starve and live in complete poverty. The level support their leader gets, makes absolutely no sense.
    Which is hy it's important for the regime to demonise America, to have a big bad enemy focuses public opinion away from their own ****ty lives. 1984, I love that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Wa-hay, more dead people. Just what we need. :pac:
    I hope China values its economic links with the US more than the traditional ties with N.K., thus forcing them to back down. To be honest, their only chance to take S.K. on their own was a blitzkrieg style tactic and a declaration of war essentially eliminates that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Source?

Sorry, I meant if an artillery barrage was launched, it would be time to start ****ting ourselves.
    Having said that they did launch an artillery barrage before and sink a ship (not with the artillery barrage), so its not impossible.
    I did touch wood just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sorry, I meant if an artillery barrage was launched, it would be time to start ****ting ourselves.
    Having said that they did launch an artillery barrage before and sink a ship, so its not impossible.

Torpedo sank the ship a few years ago,
    They did shell an island recently though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Their people are brainwashed to the max. They fund a ridiculously large army while many citizens starve and live in complete poverty. The level support their leader gets, makes absolutely no sense.

Their people know very little about the outside world except that Americans are the enemy and are scum.They think that Americans fly over their crops dropping bugs to destroy their crops hence the reason they are starving(they teach this to kids in school). Their equipment and transport is from the 1800's and meanwhile in the South over the border their lifestyle and economy is one of the most modern in the world. No, i think it's fair to say communism is a beaten docket, even the Chinese are now realising this

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Having said that they did launch an artillery barrage before and sink a ship (not with the artillery barrage), so its not impossible.
    Christ, don't do that :eek: I was just about to jump out of bed to flick on Sky News

If the North go for it first there could be some serious carnage in the South for a while. The North would be quickly overrun then but there'd be a potential for long-term **** then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If they're going to do it then it will be an all or nothing campaign. Reports from 2 years ago estimated they have resources for up to 100 days of total war, it's probably more than that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Jesus I thought you meant it had been launched, I'm reading this in bed but I was about to get up and put on a pot of coffee and pull an all nighter of news

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Which is hy it's important for the regime to demonise America, to have a big bad enemy focuses public opinion away from their own ****ty lives. 1984, I love that book.

Yes but are you talking about them or us/everyone else?
    We only know what we are being told ourselves
    Not that I suspect NK is a paradise, but that statement could apply to many a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The level support their leader gets, makes absolutely no sense.

It's all the people have known growing up, from their education to everything that surrounds them in daily life like monuments, statues, museums, and billboards (Even out in the shìthole that is the countryside)

Isolation from the rest of the world and fantastic stories about how great and mystical their leaders are keeps them believing.

That their leader is there to protect them from the animals that are outside them like the US.

You can see how crazy the people got emotionally when Kim Il Sung & Kim Jong Il died, out in masses on the streets crying manically and cursing the heavens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nothing on KCNA about it yet. I sent them an email asking why their news is so shite.

Been nice knowing you all, see you on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Yes but are you talking about them or us/everyone else?
    Not that I suspect NK is a paradise, but that statement could apply to many a state.

Not too the same extent in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

The_B_Man wrote: »
    According to a close Sth Korean friend of mine, the war has never ended and they were in "break time". Basically they just stopped for some holiday or something and never got going. The war was never resolved.

Conscription is in effect in North and South. North has more numbers, South has better technology.

On their own, the South should win, but if China joins in behind North, then it could go the distance. The Russia situation will be interesting too.

As I see it. China historically they have been allies with NK however they may want to distance themselves from a war seeing as their economy is going well and the are on course to become the most powerful nation in the world taking over from the US if they are not there already.

Its hard to know with Russia. Their foreign policy is in direct contrast with that of the US. They seem to be supporting the regimes in Syria and Iran. In fact they seem to be in a dictatorship themselves with Medvedev and Putin holding onto power in the last few years. Only last week they had differences with the EU over the Cyprus bail-out. Russia look to be very shady and I think they will support whoever China supports. If it does go to war China holds all the cards here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

and what will stressing about it do? nothing, its an irrelevant non issue. look at the histories of the countries involved theres nothing really new here
    Its quite a serious issue given they are the greatest threat to global security currently.
    I wonder if the Internet was around 80 years ago would people of said the same thing about Germany
    awec wrote: »
    The largest military force on the planet in the hands of a bunch of absolute nutjobs.

I care.
    MrPoker wrote: »
    I care for one and so do many others. The world is in a precarious position at the moment if you haven't noticed. Wars going on, economic upheaval etc. The last thing it needs is another clusterfcuk war with one of the biggest armies on the planet all willing to sacrifice themselves for their maniac of a leader. The fall out from this and knock on effects will have implications for us all.

What makes it interesting now is a new leader is in place in NK with an increase in anti-american rhetoric therefore making it different from threats in years gone by.

actually war is one of the best things for a country to be involved in around recession, for the countries involved and who have a large arms industry, ask george bush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No, we're able to investigate and expose. We have the freedoms and tools made available to us to uncover the truth and reject what we're told should we be so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

NK will be overrun rather swiftly if they attempt anything serious. Right now they are only acting the bollix, and all the rest of the world can do is wag its finger at them.

Jesus I thought you meant it had been launched, I'm reading this in bed but I was about to get up and put on a pot of coffee and pull an all nighter of news

That was kinda mean of me,
    I think that was the same feeling I got when I heard news reports of Scuds over Israel in 1991, well, not put on the coffee, more, **** this could be it!
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's all the people have known growing up, from their education to everything that surrounds them in daily life like monuments, statues and billboards (Even out in the shìthole that is the countryside)

Isolation from the rest of the world and fantastic stories about how great and mystical their leaders are keeps them believing.

That their leader is there to protect them from the animals that are outside them like the US.

You can see how crazy the people got emotionally when Kim Il Sung & Kim Jong Il died, out in masses on the streets crying manically and cursing the heavens.

If, as we are told, they are as downtrodden as they appear,
    I suspect it would take little to bribe them to dance around, I suspect they probably know the real story more than anyone.

We could be doing the same in a few years for a handful of spuds/few euro nua's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

None of us know what NK is capable of, but I am certain that we are in an awful mess. I don't think that this is going to be Afghanistan all over again. North Korea's leader is determined to make his impression and leave his foot print in history. A history that may not be acknowledged due to his determined frame of mind. This isn't a case of sending soldiers to the frontline, but technology enabling a rogue country to cause complete and utter destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

N. Korea radio

This will not be a 3 day-war but a blitz war through which KPA will occupy all areas of S. Korea including Jeju Is. at one strike.

US "should be clear that in era of Marshal Kim Jong Un, the greatest-ever commander, all things are different from the past."

Sounds like hes lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What do they hope to achieve exactly? The only hope they have is to choke the weapons of the US and the south with endless victims and overrun them by sheer weight of numbers, not exactly an ideal way to fight in the modern world...

NK will be overrun rather swiftly if they attempt anything serious. Right now they are only acting the bollix, and all the rest of the world can do is wag its finger at them.

I dont think it would be overrun quickly. They got a huge armed forces totalling 3 million troops including reserves, only US and China have got a larger military. I think an all out war is inevitable whether it happens in one week or 20 years.

The word ENDGAME comes to mind ,
    Make be spawn of Kim has decided the whole country is going to join papa bear in enternal sleep

WumBuster wrote: »
    I dont think it would be overrun quickly. They got a huge armed forces totalling 3 million troops including reserves, only US and China have got a larger military. I think an all out war is inevitable whether it happens in one week or 20 years.

Total armed forces is nearly 9.5 million

IM0 wrote: »
    actually war is one of the best things for a country to be involved in around recession, for the countries involved and who have a large arms industry, ask george bush!

Ha there's no doubt about it George would be in there by now although would be disapointed with the lack of oil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I concur it may go on forever if NK decide to go with guerrilla tactics approach. But as it stands, men are just men without weapons. There is a recent photo slideshow somewhere on Reuter of DPRK Army training. They use Vietnam War weaponry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If, as we are told, they are as downtrodden as they appear,
    I suspect it would take little to bribe them to dance around, I suspect they probably know the real story more than anyone.

The country is an economic dump with famine and disease fairly rife out in the countryside with families split up in NK & SK. Everything is image in North Korea at the expense of it's people.

Anyone speaks out about the government or way of life then it's off to one of the many camps, never to be seen again (Except in the very rare cases of those who escaped and fled to SK or China).

The threat of going to the camps is enough to garner motivation for their leader if not the belief that he is all powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They don't have the technology, weaponry or budget to fight an extended war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Thrill wrote: »
    N. Korea radio

I'm having no luck getting that on the wireless... what frequency should I be chooned ta?

• Advertisement

Lads, North Korea does not give a sh*oite, they have declared War on South Korea, which is a provocation to South Korea's allies. They are testing the water. They are calling a bluff, but regardless of the gamble North Korea is taking, they will respond, like for like. It's just a matter of time, that's all. Should the unthinkable happen, we as a species, have entered a new stage of existence. Russian and American, Chinese and all nations have stayed quiet, whilst NK throw threats around the place. If somebody threatened you, how would you react? Go all out and hit out or stand back and consider your choices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What do they hope to achieve exactly? The only hope they have is to choke the weapons of the US and the south with endless victims and overrun them by sheer weight of numbers, not exactly an ideal way to fight in the modern world...

Im uncertain it would be swift, given the terrain, but it all depends
    Gatling wrote: »
    Torpedo sank the ship a few years ago,
    They did shell an island recently though

While I suspect/believe it was a torpedo, that was wrapped up quietly, never heard much about it.
    Unless it was an on board explosion and thats why it was hushed up? false flag?
    Christ, don't do that :eek: I was just about to jump out of bed to flick on Sky News

I hope I dont wake up in the morning to hear a division is laying siege to Pusan.
    If the North go for it first there could be some serious carnage in the South for a while. The North would be quickly overrun then but there'd be a potential for long-term **** then.

For a while? it seems to be the way things go after a mofo economic fcuk up?
    If they're going to do it then it will be an all or nothing campaign. Reports from 2 years ago estimated they have resources for up to 100 days of total war, it's probably more than that now.

Maybe they intend picking up supplies along the way?
    Not too the same extent in fairness.

maybe? probably but, we dont know 100% certain, seems like we're looking at them like they are in the petri dish and we know everything thats going on, we might be in it too.

Unless you run out of bullets or the ability to supply those fighting with them, then a war of attrition only needs you to pound the opposition into submission, rather than outfight them.
    Quantity has a quality of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

N.Korea's state of war announcement. Enjoy. :)

http://soundcloud.com/voa-korea/wardeclaration

Lads, North Korea does not give a sh*oite, they have declared War on South Korea, which is a provocation to South Korea's allies. They are testing the water. They are calling a bluff, but regardless of the gamble North Korea is taking, they will respond, like for like. It's just a matter of time, that's all. Should the unthinkable happen, we as a species, have entered a new stage of existence. Russian and American, Chinese and all nations have stayed quiet, whilst NK throw threats around the place. If somebody threatened you, how would you react? Go all out and hit out or stand back and consider your choices?

The fact that these nutjobs have access to nuclear weapons is terrifying, hopefully this is just more scare tactics, but who knows if it will continue to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Would the Michael Jackson popcorn be a tad inappropriate in this thread? :P

ciano1 wrote: »
    Would the Michael Jackson popcorn be a tad inappropriate in this thread? :P

Stocked up on munchies especially for the fireworks

Thrill wrote: »
    N.Korea's state of war announcement. Enjoy. :)

http://soundcloud.com/voa-korea/wardeclaration

She sounds angry!! Now im scared. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

you got to admit it's fascinating viewing anytime there is a drama with north korea,

they would have there skellington looking soldiers marching up and down waving hands and saluting to fatboy kim,

it's all drama with them and why not, at the end of the day if they have rockets and nucs why should'd they have them?

so tis ok for the yanks to test there **** all over the place and the NK can't?

typical yank ****.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    They don't have the technology, weaponry or budget to fight an extended war.

I think they have got the technology and weaponry, even if they have a 70 year old nuke design, thats still a nuke, well an atom bomb.

Its all whether they have the cojhones! and/or lack of marbles.

extended war, maybe not
    people that want to win with limited resources dont want extended wars, they want a quick victory, maybe they are too mad to care about the consequences

or maybe this is a game of brinksmanship and they want certain things restored?

Wasnt food/grain shipments stopped in the last year?
    maybe its a message, we are running out of food, if we only have enough to last us 5/10/30 days of war then so be it, or restart shipments?
    who knows whats going on behind the curtains, publicly nations have stated they are not in communications with other nations in the past at times of tensions and subsequnetly it turned out they were.

gustafo wrote: »
    you got to admit it's fascinating viewing anytime there is a drama with north korea,

they would have there skellington looking soldiers marching up and down waving hands and saluting to fatboy kim,

it's all drama with them and why not, at the end of the day if they have rockets and nucs why should'd they have them?

typical yank ****.

It doesn't work that way! seriously! I'm sorry but in fairness.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think they have got the technology and weaponry, even if they have a 70 year old nuke design, thats still a nuke, well an atom bomb.

Its all whether they have the cojhones! and/or lack of marbles.

extended war, maybe not
    people that want to win with limited resources dont want extended wars, they want a quick victory, maybe they are too mad to care about the consequences

or maybe this is a game of brinksmanship and they want certain things restored?

Wasnt food/grain shipments stopped in the last year?
    maybe its a message, we are running out of food, if we only have enough to last us 5/10/30 days of war then so be it, or restart shipments?
    who knows whats going on behind the curtains, publicly nations have stated they are not in communications with other nations in the past at times of tensions and subsequnetly it turned out they were.

They haven't perfected strapping the bombs to missiles yet so they'll probably need a catapult or something to fling it across the border.

typical yank ****.

Their leaders are historically aggressive and irrational. Nuclear weapons at their disposal is a terrifying thought is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Just talked to some Irish and Koreans over in Seoul and another city. They said no one is starting to panic just yet. The Koreans said the north are always at it, we know this already but I've lived there myself and I've never seen tensions this high.

How long til US's little kid brother Britain will be jumping to the cause sending over forces and putting us back in this firing line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

How long til US's little kid brother Britain will be jumping to the cause sending over forces and putting us back in this firing line?

It would be Canada long, long before Britain.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's all the people have known growing up, from their education to everything that surrounds them in daily life like monuments, statues, museums, and billboards (Even out in the shìthole that is the countryside)

You can see how crazy the people got emotionally, out in masses on the streets crying manically and cursing the heavens

That sounds like the Sean Quinn supporters, were not above/beneath it ourselves :)
    Thank god the Quinss dont have nukes, right?
    None of us know what NK is capable of, but I am certain that we are in an awful mess. I don't think that this is going to be Afghanistan all over again. North Korea's leader is determined to make his impression and leave his foot print in history. A history that may not be acknowledged due to his determined frame of mind. This isn't a case of sending soldiers to the frontline, but technology enabling a rogue country to cause complete and utter destruction.

Im not sure his frame of mind is determined, well maybe it is, or maybe its unhinged, or its possible its quite normal for the status qou over there
    Ha there's no doubt about it George would be in there by now although would be disapointed with the lack of oil!

Well, not personally,
    I concur it may go on forever if NK decide to go with guerrilla tactics approach. But as it stands, men are just men without weapons. There is a recent photo slideshow somewhere on Reuter of DPRK Army training. They use Vietnam War weaponry.

The men are the weapons, not having rifles isnt as much a problem as say not having food.
    Also, the weaponry from the vietnam era is still sophisticated enough to kill as much as weapons currently in use, in fact, Id say other than electronics (which may or may not make a difference depending on conditions) the hardware is similar enough, less of a difference say between now and Vietnam era weapons than , Vietnam era and WW2.
    The fact that these nutjobs have access to nuclear weapons is terrifying, hopefully this is just more scare tactics, but who knows if it will continue to be.

Do they have them?, there have been recorded unsuccessful nuclear detonations
    She sounds angry!! Now im scared. :eek:
    Jaysus, Id say she's some woman:eek:
    They haven't perfected strapping the bombs to missiles yet so they'll probably need a catapult or something to fling it across the border.

They could set one off on the border or just over it, or stick it on a sub and blow it up in Incheon, missle not necessary.
    Even if it was "strapped" to a plane , it might not be intercepted, probably wouldnt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Some of his loyal soldiers tried to kill him last year. They weren't happy about some of the changes he made to the army when he took power.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/kim-jongun-was-target-of-assassination-attempt-20130315-2g4b4.html

Maybe this declaration of war is how he's showing them that he's a real leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I did that for the Iraq war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I think their only hope is that the entire South Korean army suffer congenital heart defects moments before they enter the battlefield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement