Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't return deposit

Options
  • 30-03-2013 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,
    I recently came to the end of a 12 month written lease.
    I gave the proper notice, when I moved out I was told to return in a few days to get my deposit.
    Basically he doesn't return calls and is not there or won't answer his door.
    Is my best course of action the small claims court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

PTRB would be the first point of action

was there any damage left to house to justify withholding deposit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

If the LL said you can collect your deposit in a few days then I take it the property was all in good order when you left (?)

First thing to do, is to write a registered letter to him detailing all that has happened: paying rent on time, 12 month lease, notice given, leaving the property in good order and his failure to contact you to return your deposit.

I would ask him to contact you asap to make arrangements for your deposit to be paid back in full and if you do not hear from him within the next 5 working days, you will be handing over the matter to PTRB.

Hopefully, that will do it and you will get your money back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 magmike

Property left in perfect condition.
    LL said deposit would be given back but he's not contactable now.
    I will take the advice and send a registered letter.
    I've heard the PTRB are a bit gummy though when it comes to actually getting your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

magmike wrote: »
    I've heard the PTRB are a bit gummy though when it comes to actually getting your cash.
    They're very much pro-tenant by all accounts. Therefore, if you provided adequate notice and there's no good reason for the landlord to withhold your deposit, then it should be fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 magmike

thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Has the landlord gone away for the Easter holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you ring the LL, is the ring tone the normal ring tone, or the out of country ring tone? Or he just be down country with the relatives. Holiday season is always iffy when doing any sort of business.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Brownhead

magmike wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I recently came to the end of a 12 month written lease.
    I gave the proper notice, when I moved out I was told to return in a few days to get my deposit.
    Basically he doesn't return calls and is not there or won't answer his door.
    Is my best course of action the small claims court?

you can only go to court if you are looking fof more than 60k. I doubt if your deposit was that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Brownhead wrote: »
    you can only go to court if you are looking fof more than 60k. I doubt if your deposit was that much.

Nonsense, that's the high court, small claims and district court deal with lesser amounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If it's an amount <€2000, you could use the Small Claims Court, but the PRTB is far more useful as it has specific powers in this area.

Contact him by registered letter, give him (in writing) 5 working days to respond.

If he fails to respond, then start the PRTB procedure.

To speed things along, give them a quick ring too and ask what documentation would help them to process the case.

http://public.prtb.ie/contact.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The small claims court does not deal with deposit disputes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

ted1 wrote: »
    Nonsense, that's the high court, small claims and district court deal with lesser amounts

Nonsense,this is a deposit dispute. The courts have only limited jurisdiction.

RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004
    Limitation on certain disputes being the subject of court proceedings, although it seems the o/p could look for only 20k and not 60k. Still most unlikely his deposit was 20k or above!

182.—(1) On and from the commencement of Part 6, proceedings may not be instituted in any court in respect of a dispute that may be referred to the Board for resolution under that Part unless one or more of the following reliefs is being claimed in the proceedings—

(a) damages of an amount of more than €20,000,

(b) recovery of arrears of rent or other charges, or both, due under a tenancy of an amount, or an aggregate amount, of more than €60,000 or such lesser amount as would be applicable in the circumstances concerned by virtue of section 115 (3)(b) or (c)(ii).

(2) In this section “dispute” has the same meaning as it has in Part 6.

Advertisement