Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

severely neglected pony with roachback

• 30-03-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

All,

looking for some advice- a charity in Kerry has rescued a number of ponies, one of them is coming up to me.She will be seen by a vet obviously, she will never be ridden or worked in any way. She has a severe roach back - any one any idea what i can do to help her? can it be corrected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

From what I can gather it can't be corrected and will affect the way a saddle fits but as you will never be riding this horse it's not applicable.

It could look worse than it is due to the lack of condition on the horse but I think the main thing is to make sure the horse is not going to be in any pain due to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Best thing you can do is fatten that poor creature up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Best thing you can do is fatten that poor creature up.

That goes without saying..trying to look beyond that, to fins anything that could make u for the hell she's been put through.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Generally there's not much you can do to correct a roach back on a horse. Depending on the severity of the roach, it's not unheard of or all that unusual for horses with roach backs to be ridden, although it is of vital importance to make sure that the saddle fits correctly, not to mention taking into account any difficulties that the horse may face in areas such as flexion, etc.

With regards to the pony in the picture, you could always get a chiro out to have a look at her and see if they can do anything to help her. But once she gets some more condition on her it may not 'look' as bad, and so long as she's not in pain and well cared for, she should be ok.

Advertisement