Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday Entitlements

Options
  • 30-03-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

So I come into work today (Easter bank holiday) to find out that I'm not entitled to an additional days pay. I'm part-time and I've been told that part-time workers are required to accumulate 29hours in that week to be entitled to bank holiday pay. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've gone over the Working Time Act and can't see this mentioned anywhere. On the citizens information homepage it states that I must work 40hrs in the 5 weeks prior to the bank holiday, which I have done.

Any advice or links to help me out would be a great help.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In general, you're not entitled to anything for bank holidays. The legal entitlement is for public holidays, not bank holidays.

Ireland has decided that certain bank holidays are public holidays too, so you do have an entitlement for these. But at Easter there is only one public holiday, and that is on Monday.

Now it's possible that your contract has an additional entitlement for bank holidays (eg Good Friday) too. It could be that your contract has something like this, with a restriction on the hours worked per week to qualify.

And yes, it sucks that people have to work Easter Saturday and Sunday for no extra - because they're not public holidays, even though they fall in a long weekend. But that's the law, and if you want it changed your TD is the place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the confusion, I was referring to the Monday public holiday. Does their 29hr rule stand up to credible legislation?

I'm afraid to stand my ground on this issue because they're not the type of employers that you can reason with but at the same time I can't let them take advantage of me. What annoyed me the most about it was the fact I'm only told on the day of the public holiday, I wouldn't have worked it had I of known earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

If you have worked at least 40 hours in total in the last 5 weeks, then you're entitled to double time if working a public holiday or a paid day off if not working

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Work for a large company . Were unless u work the bank holiday /public holiday. You get a days pay and a day in lue. But if you're off you get nothing. Now I'm on a salary. Been looking into it. Waiting a answer from the site manager so I can pass the information on to nera I think their called..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

if you are on a salery, you should work 4 days next week, but get paid for 5.
    Iif you work monday, you should still only work 4 days, but get no extra payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    if you are on a salery, you should work 4 days next week, but get paid for 5.
    Iif you work monday, you should still only work 4 days, but get no extra payment.

Or you can work 5 days and get paid for 6 (double time for Monday) or get paid for 5 days and get an additional day annual leave.
    There are several options open to the employer.

Advertisement