Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job-search before emigrating to Australia

Options
  • 30-03-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and my fiancée intend to move to Australia next year. I've being reading that it would be very difficult to go over on a WHV, and then try and get a 457.
    (We're both under 30 and will be married before the move).

I've considered looking for sponsorship from companies but from researching through various job sites, there doesn't seem to be many in my field (Mechanical design engineering).

I've saw a couple positions advertised on company websites that I would be an ideal candidate for, but they all state:
    Applications will only be received from those candidates who are able to provide proof of their eligibility to work in Australia.

So now I'm looking into getting a skilled independent visa or a state sponsored visa (very early days) and was wondering. Would it have a negative impact on me to start applying for jobs just to put feelers out and request a 457 or mention that I'm going through the whole visa application process and I'm showing an expression of interest for future positions should they become available?

Would I be wasting time and should I just wait?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

To be honest, unless you have skills that are really in demand here, you would probably be wasting your time and would need to be incredibly lucky to get any bites. You have a much better chance of getting sponsored from a WHV here, rather than applying for jobs with no visa from Ireland. It wouldn't have a negative impact per se but most recruiters/companies will bin your application when they see you don't have legal right to work in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Thanks jackbhoy,

I was afraid that if I went over on a WHV I'd have difficulty in applying for a full time position due to the 6 month restriction, and in case it gave the impression I would be unreliable for long term employment.

When companies state
    Applications will only be received from those candidates who are able to provide proof of their eligibility to work in Australia.

Are WHV eligible to apply for these positions, or will they be binned also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

RPM7 wrote: »
    Thanks jackbhoy,

I was afraid that if I went over on a WHV I'd have difficulty in applying for a full time position due to the 6 month restriction, and in case it gave the impression I would be unreliable for long term employment.

When companies state

Are WHV eligible to apply for these positions, or will they be binned also?

Many people apply for short-term/contract work on WHV and then prove their worth enough in 6 months to get offered sponsorship. It is far from a guaranteed route but it is certainly very possible.

Most recruiters/companies will state they want permanent residents/citizens, but if they are struggling to fill a role and you are there on the ground with the relevant skills and ready to interview then they may make the extra effort to go the sponsorship route.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Thanks jackbhoy, I appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Greengekko

Hi Shy_ted, just wondering how did you get on? Im considering going to Australia myself but have the same concerns with the WHV as you can only work with one employer for 6 months. Why would they bother employing you.
    Is it worth the risk going over with no job lined up? I would be looking at civil/Construction engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Mod note
    Please don't post the same question in multiple threads. This thread is 5 years old so I'm going to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement