Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick weather

Options
  • 30-03-2013 11:51am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys anyone know what the weather is like in CP today? Planning on ascending and normally just wear shorts but the wife seems to think its snowing

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks clear and sunny to me, perfect day to climb it. Will be breezey and cold up there though, when you're not moving at least. You might get away with the shorts since its so sunny but I wouldn't really recommend them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers mick, will risk the shorts, I've plenty of layers on top, just prefer shorts

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheers mick, will risk the shorts, I've plenty of layers on top, just prefer shorts

You can't beat them for comfort in fairness! Enjoy the climb, view should be spectacular today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Hi guys anyone know what the weather is like in CP today? Planning on ascending and normally just wear shorts but the wife seems to think its snowing

Current weather in westport.... I wouldn't go up in shorts today, it will be cold and windy up there, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thanks for the weather for Westport, Slick.

Agrees with quick foray downtown downtown 'Port. Could not see the summit, imho not a day for shorts. Getting windier imho. Remember the higher you go the colder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Shorts on a day like today with cira 5 degree ground temp, which will be in the minus levels by the time you get on top. Climb for the conditions, not just because you like shorts. I don't want to sound like a D*CK but I have mates who are with Mayo Mountain Rescue and I am regularly on CP myself and people who climb CP unprepared or wearing the wrong shoes or clothing and then MMR have to go and rescue them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well lads I survived! Very pleasant until you get half way up and then get hit by the cross wind which had a bite too it but nothing particularly bad tbh. Today shorts were a good (lucky) choice, but the views were top notch, will stick up some pictures on Monday when I get back to civilisation

Also a lot more pleasant going up when you have done 2/3s of gaelforce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Shorts in any weather for me!

Once you have a couple of top layers you be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Well lads I survived! Very pleasant until you get half way up and then get hit by the cross wind which had a bite too it but nothing particularly bad tbh. Today shorts were a good (lucky) choice, but the views were top notch, will stick up some pictures on Monday when I get back to civilisation

Also a lot more pleasant going up when you have done 2/3s of gaelforce!

You didn't tell us you're an iron man.... so why was the missus worried about a bit of "brass monkey" weather?

I'd say there was a nice breeze when you got to the saddle, fully exposed to today's easterly wind. What time did you do?

More amateur adventurer! Too soft around the edges for the iron man label!

She's always cold that's why! 90 mins but quite a number of stops for the wife to rest. It was her first time doing anything like this, so told her the top was a couple of mins away several times or it would have been cut short!

The church had quite a pasting of ice up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Gonna race up and down with the dog tomorrow morning, won't be repping shorts though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Gonna race up and down with the dog tomorrow morning, won't be repping shorts though :p

I was thinking the same for tomorrow but not sure it'd be safe for the dog the last bit anyway. What breed of dog do you have?

Quite a few dogs up there right the way to the top, boxer, collie and a couple of labs were ascending/descending the scree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Cavalier King Charles. I know not a big dog but she's been up a few times and loves it, never had any problems. I've seen smaller Jack Russels and stuff a few times on the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for that, she should be grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Hi OP

Sorry to cut across your post but I was hoping to climb CP sometime this Spring/Summer but I'm a complete novice and a bit worried. How hard is it for a fit but more mature person to climb? Is there anything special I need to bring/do, apart from the walking sticks, or are they necessary? thx

I never use sticks but a lot of people do use them. Plenty of more mature people doing it too, just pace yourself and you'll be fine it's more than achievable....and tbh from my gaelforce events I've been passed by older people who bounce up like mountain goats.

My wife spends a lot of time in the gym but wouldn't be big on anything involving CV work and she found it fine.

I just had a bottle of water but bring some food, better to have it than not and as above, bring proper gear as if the weather closes in you will get cold/wet pretty quick and good shoes!

Finally hope for good weather, views are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Finally hope for good weather, views are awesome
    This.

Don't go up if it's cloudy. Totally ruins it.

gGlad you had a good one helimachoptor. Went for a hike in achill myself, lovely day to be on the hills. The wind chill was serious enough at the top I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

yop wrote: »
    Shorts on a day like today with cira 5 degree ground temp, which will be in the minus levels by the time you get on top. Climb for the conditions, not just because you like shorts. I don't want to sound like a D*CK but I have mates who are with Mayo Mountain Rescue and I am regularly on CP myself and people who climb CP unprepared or wearing the wrong shoes or clothing and then MMR have to go and rescue them.

He was wearing a pair of shorts, not sauntering up in high-heels, mini skirt and a boob-tube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He was wearing a pair of shorts, not sauntering up in high-heels, mini skirt and a boob-tube.

Read what I said and get an understanding. Buzz up MMR and ask them about people who go up in shorts and ill prepared and how they, who are volunteers, have to go and rescue them off CP.
    The OP was doing it as part of the Gaelforce training, this point wasn't made in the original post, there is a big difference in tackling the reek as part of a training regime and taking on the reek as a normal joe in a pair of shorts.

I'm not posting for the sake of typing, as I said, buzz MMR and ask them. Their the one who have to spend their time rescuing.

And plenty have done it in heels too.

Read what I said and get an understanding.
    The OP was doing it as part of the Gaelforce training, this point wasn't made in the original post, there is a big difference in tackling the reek as part of a training regime and taking on the reek as a normal joe in a pair of shorts.

Normal Joe/Josephine can go up the winter Reek in a pair of shorts. It's proper footwear, suitable bodywarmer/layers and a sensible approach to the dangers that are important.

Normal Joe/Josephine can go up the winter Reek in a pair of shorts. It's proper footwear, suitable bodywarmer/layers and a sensible approach to the dangers that are important.

And with that is why normal Joe/Josephine have to be rescued. :rolleyes:

I don't get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Quite a few dogs up there right the way to the top, boxer, collie and a couple of labs were ascending/descending the scree

Were they on leads ?

I don't get you?

Exactly my point.

mattser wrote: »
    Were they on leads ?

Nope, in all probably saw about 10 dogs, most on the lower part but none on the lead, however the ones on the scree had no issue going up/down

mattser wrote: »
    Were they on leads ?

Most wouldn't be from what I have seen. If they owner is happy the dogs will come back when called they will let them off. Consider that this is freehold so you will have sheep all over the reek so be confident that the dog will come back to you.

I think what yop is saying is that people underestimate the weather and underfoot conditions on CP and in turn that keeps the MMR busy.

However there is an element of common sense, if you are on the way up and get very cold, turn around! Obviously a little different if you break and ankle or something

• Advertisement

Well, maybe if your post actually made sense it might help me?

Advertisement