Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick weather

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

yop wrote: »
    Exactly my point.

You're very Trollish for mod. I mean that in a kind way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AK333 wrote: »
    Hi OP

Sorry to cut across your post but I was hoping to climb CP sometime this Spring/Summer but I'm a complete novice and a bit worried. How hard is it for a fit but more mature person to climb? Is there anything special I need to bring/do, apart from the walking sticks, or are they necessary? thx
    Bring a stick or two if you're a novice, you'll need it. It's steeper than it looks, particularly coming down.
    A bottle of water, a wind breaker jacket and pair of warm gloves in a small carry bag won't hurt.
    Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

main_php_g2_view_core.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You're very Trollish for mod. I mean that in a kind way.

Not a great comment to be honest, and I mean that without been a mod on this forum.
    What I said has made sense to at least one other poster on here, who has broke it down into a stick man explanation.

As kindly explained, people totally under estimate mountains, the OP has explained since that he was doing the reek in shorts as his training regime, so he is probably coming from the back of the reek on the Gaelforce route, will already have a higher body temp and will be moving at a pace much quicker than a normal Joe.

I have trained on the reek for nearly 6 years and did my first ascent of the mountain nearly 35 years ago, I am also a local.
    Temp difference on this and any other mountain can vary drastically from ground to peak, also wind chill adds to that.
    If the cloud/fog comes out, which happens regular due to it been on the edge of the atlantic, then you can be left totally disorientated and if you are wearing shorts you could end up on the mountain for a number of hours, hypothermia sets in and then MMR have to come and take you down.
    Every week there is a case of this. People in high hells breaking their ankles, carrying dogs in hand bags, not having rain jackets, wearing shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

People in high hells breaking their ankles, carrying dogs in hand bags, not having rain jackets, wearing shorts.
    haha, Americans?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

haha, Americans?

Unfortunately not :D

Meet a girl 2 years ago when I was decending, she had lovely white skirt, nice pink high heels and a dog sticking out of her handbag. She was about 1/3 the way up, she stopped me, I was running down, and asked me would it take her another 30 mins...
    I went to the bottom and turned and passed her as she started the cone. I felt sorry for her, especially as the wind was parachuting that skirt up as I (and I use me words carefully) came from the carpark direction :D

Myself and the lad with me didn't know if we would laugh cry or just ask her out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Last time I climbed it I noticed a fairly elderly chap who kept falling over, but everytime he fell over someone would help him up and he'd have a chat. We met him again on the way down, flat on his ass, getting pulled up by a new friend. Thought to myself "there has to be easier ways to meet people than that". But it was quite nice at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

biko wrote: »
    Bring a stick or two if you're a novice, you'll need it. It's steeper than it looks, particularly coming down.
    A bottle of water, a wind breaker jacket and pair of warm gloves in a small carry bag won't hurt.
    Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

I am a novice, I run, but not up mountains! My C25K training didn't include mountain goat training :)

I will hire the sticks, it looks like I'll be needing them, but I don't have trekking or hiking boots - would asics do?

I am a novice, I run, but not up mountains! My C25K training didn't include mountain goat training :)

I will hire the sticks, it looks like I'll be needing them, but I don't have trekking or hiking boots - would asics do?

Asics are fine. The weather is dry these day and the grip up there isn't too bad in the dry. Its bare on the cone so in the wet its a paint for grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Asics are fine. The weather is dry these day and the grip up there isn't too bad in the dry. Its bare on the cone so in the wet its a paint for grip.
    Am I right in thinking most accidents happen coming down?

Take it handy coming down AK. All the way down.

Am I right in thinking most accidents happen coming down?

Take it handy coming down AK. All the way down.

People slip on both the way up and down. Footing going on the way down yes and once the momentum is behind you on the descent then its fun slowing down :D
    Also the lower part has slippy grass and bog where you may end up on your bum.

Take your time, make sure you are well wrapped up, bring a drink and a bit of food and a camera :) Tomorrow will be georgous up there and you can see all 365 islands in clew bay :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Take your time, make sure you are well wrapped up, bring a drink and a bit of food and a camera :) Tomorrow will be georgous up there and you can see all 365 islands in clew bay :)[/QUOTE]

I won't be going tomorrow - I'm an absolute beginner and will be waiting till the weather warms up a bit - the wind at the moment will cut you in half. Probably try around June/July time but thanks everyone for the info, its good to get the correct info from people who know - a website can only tell you so much.

Take your time, make sure you are well wrapped up, bring a drink and a bit of food and a camera :) Tomorrow will be georgous up there and you can see all 365 islands in clew bay :)

I won't be going tomorrow - I'm an absolute beginner and will be waiting till the weather warms up a bit - the wind at the moment will cut you in half. Probably try around June/July time but thanks everyone for the info, its good to get the correct info from people who know - a website can only tell you so much.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget your nice Guinness or cuppa in Campbells :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Hi

Rainfall radar is showing a front passing over the reek. Will probably fall as sleet or snow above 500m. Can anyone confirm whether it is snowing on the reek or whether it has a white cone? I might climb tomorrow (Monday) of there is some snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm a few hours off the reek feckin' dreadful winds. I've climbed dozens of times all times of the year and Christ I've seen anything like it was today, thought I was gonna get blown off the top, lost my hat to the elements when I did get up there :p Got blown up the slope towards the end like a plastic bag though handy enough, but quite scary actually on the summit.

I went up pretty early but met a lot of very lightly dressed people on my way down :p In for a bit of a shock today :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Hi

Rainfall radar is showing a front passing over the reek. Will probably fall as sleet or snow above 500m. Can anyone confirm whether it is snowing on the reek or whether it has a white cone? I might climb tomorrow (Monday) of there is some snow.

There was a lot of hail and it was snowing a bit this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would not have been in shorts today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

as promised some pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trishamcm

Lovely Pictures

Was there many people doing it that day? I did it for the first time last summer on "Reek Sunday" never again!!

Not that many, however my only comparisons are when doing galeforces and theres generally a couple of thousand people ascending/descending at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trishamcm

Defo going to do it when weather improves but then again I live in Mayo weather is always S**t

• Advertisement

as promised some pics.

Look at the hypothermia setting into them purple pins! :D
    Nice pics

Sunday was very busy, surprised as to the amount of people on there. Weather is incredible for good pics and views.

going to ascend CP next weekend.

I have a couple of options (i'll be with 2 people, one pretty fit, the other pretty unfit)

Drive to CP from Ballycastle, I'll be trying to get up as quick as possible

Cycle to CP from Ballycastle and do the same (however unfit guy will need to be picked up as he wouldnt be able to make it home)

Very much weather dependent as to what we do, but will be in shorts :eek:

If anyone was up over the weekend, how were the underfoot conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

going to ascend CP next weekend.

I have a couple of options (i'll be with 2 people, one pretty fit, the other pretty unfit)

Drive to CP from Ballycastle, I'll be trying to get up as quick as possible

Cycle to CP from Ballycastle and do the same (however unfit guy will need to be picked up as he wouldnt be able to make it home)

Very much weather dependent as to what we do, but will be in shorts :eek:

If anyone was up over the weekend, how were the underfoot conditions?
    It was very dry yesterday, scorching sunshine by the time we came down. The stones were really loose towards the top so make sure you have good sturdy shoes/boots and a stick.

Anyone up in the reek in the last few days?
    Heading down to the Outlaws on Monday, so will take a trip over and climb (likely in shorts :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone up in the reek in the last few days?
    Heading down to the Outlaws on Monday, so will take a trip over and climb (likely in shorts :eek:)

Was up there on Saturday morning. Was lovely, got lucky with the weather and had a great view. Around 6 inches of snow at the top though. Grand going up very slippy coming down. I'd say the snow has rescinded a bit since then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

cheers, will bring some warmer gear with me and then a call on the day (may just carry it)

Advertisement