Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is possible to get the dole on a saturday?

• 30-03-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering why is it that they allow people to collect the dole. on a Saturday?

Like i don't see why people on the dole can not collect during the week from Monday to Friday.

I spoke to a friend of mine recently who was complaining about the junkies in the queue for the dole this morning. The same friend works cash in hand now and again and was working all last week so did not get a chance to collect the dole.

Is it the same in the UK and other EU countries because the system seems to be designed to facilitate those who wish to fraud the system. I know some people might be attending courses during the week but should they not be the only people who can collect the dole on a Saturday?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

What difference does it make what day they collect it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Another dole bashing thread. AH is so original.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If your friend hasn't collected her dole all last week the post office has returned it

She has to queue up and explain to the welfare officer why she didn't collect it

System works

So your friend who was fraudulently collecting his dole on a Saturday complained about other people their collecting dole on a Saturday?

Rightio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why aren't you reporting this guy for dole fraud, rather than complaining about the state 'facilitating' him doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering why is it that they allow people to collect the dole. on a Saturday?

Like i don't see why people on the dole can not collect during the week from Monday to Friday.

I spoke to a friend of mine recently who was complaining about the junkies in the queue for the dole this morning. The same friend works cash in hand now and again and was working all last week so did not get a chance to collect the dole.

Is it the same in the UK and other EU countries because the system seems to be designed to facilitate those who wish to fraud the system. I know some people might be attending courses during the week but should they not be the only people who can collect the dole on a Saturday?

Get the **** up the yard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Obviously they are too busy during the week to collect which brings into question their availability to work.They should have to sign every week day at a different time which they only find out the day before. This would make working in the black economy very difficult.You miss a day you lose a fifth of payment. You miss 3 days ,you lose the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is this "friend" actually you OP?

Are you just back from the post office on a Saturday morning and been told you're not getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Probably because post office is shut on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Officially it waits in the office for three days.
    So, if I want to get it on a Saturday at 09:00 instead of waking up at 17:00 on a Friday and rushing to the post office, I can.

Besides, if your mate is doing cash in hand, report them instead of complaining about things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is this "friend" actually you OP?

Are you just back from the post office on a Saturday morning and been told you're not getting it?

No its not and yes i could/can report my friend for dole fraud but that is not going to address the issue of welfare fraud as a whole. If people are not attending a course all throughout the week then what are they so busy doing during the week that they cant collect the dole until Saturday?

How many people are too busy doing things during the week other than working to warrant the need that people should be able to collect the dole on a saturday.

Its f**king retarded.

What difference does it make what day they collect it?
    So they don't have to take a day off from the nixer they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The dole can be collected in a three day window from your signing on day (ie if its Tuesday you have Tues/Wed/Thurs to collect) so if you're signing on day falls on a Thursday you have until close of play on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Because it's a bank holiday. Im sure they usually collect it during the week. No big deal really

No its not and yes i could/can report my friend for dole fraud but that is not going to address the issue of welfare fraud as a whole. If people are not attending a course all throughout the week then what are they so busy doing during the week that they cant collect the dole until Saturday?

How many people are too busy doing things during the week other than working to warrant the need that people should be able to collect the dole on a saturday.

Its f**king retarded.

You won't report your friend because it won't address the issue as a whole but you're complaining about people collecting it on a Saturday?

So what? If you can collect it on a Saturday, then collect it then. It's not like signing on where it's "come here between X-Y time and sign your name".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

In England you have a meeting with your dole person every 2 weeks where you show, in the form of a log book you fill out, what actions you have taken the last 2 weeks to find work. You can not be late 3 times without good reason, otherwise I think you risk losing your claim. Assuming all is well you are paid the princely sum of £71 into your bank account.

Its f**king retarded.

So welfare fraud is a problem but your friend doing it is ok

How hypocrytical.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its f**king retarded.

Why Saturday? Monday to Friday is the standard working week....for those who work, but Saturday is still "during the week" when the days all seem the same anyway.

If they were opening post offices especially for the purpose of collecting welfare payments, you might have an argument. But the post office is open anyway - why shouldn't people be able to collect their payments any time the post office is open?

Officially it waits in the office for three days.
    So, if I want to get it on a Saturday at 09:00 instead of waking up at 17:00 on a Friday and rushing to the post office, I can.

Besides, if your mate is doing cash in hand, report them instead of complaining about things

Why does it make sense for the money to wait in the office for 3 days considering that post offices are quite often a favoured target for thieves?

Why do you have to wake up at 17:00?

If you are working nights or there is a genuine reason other than you like to sleep late theni can understand how its justified that people in your circumstamces can collect the dole on a saturday, but otherwise it just facilitates people who are too busy working during the week and cant collect until Saturday.

A lot of people collecting dole work part time so it makes perfect sense. You are allowed work upto 3 days a week and claim a reduced dole payment.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Wow. Someone feels very strongly about the sabbath....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

In Ennis the dole is collectable over a stretch of days to different people in an attempt to reduce "conflicts".

Maybe it's the same elsewhere?

Why Saturday? Monday to Friday is the standard working week....for those who work, but Saturday is still "during the week" when the days all seem the same anyway.

If they were opening post offices especially for the purpose of collecting welfare payments, you might have an argument. But the post office is open anyway - why shouldn't people be able to collect their payments any time the post office is open?

Becasue as you said the standard working week is Monday to Friday so it allows people to work cash in hand Monday to Friday and collect on a Saturday.

Why would a government trying to tackle welfare fraud continue to have a system in place that facilitates the above?

Im not saying noone should be able to collect the dole on a Saturday but what is wrong with having a system where only those who have a genuine reason as to why they could not collect it mon-fri be able to collect it?

Why does it make sense for the money to wait in the office for 3 days considering that post offices are quite often a favoured target for thieves?

Why do you have to wake up at 17:00?

If you are working nights or there is a genuine reason other than you like to sleep late theni can understand how its justified that people in your circumstamces can collect the dole on a saturday, but otherwise it just facilitates people who are too busy working during the week and cant collect until Saturday.

One question, why won't you report your friend for fraud?

Anyway, because it used to be put into bank accounts if you wanted so this way by going into the post office with ID, you cut down on fraud.

Because it's my choice?

Here's a genuine reason: they give me three days to collect, I can collect it today if I like.

Becasue as you said the standard working week is Monday to Friday so it allows people to work cash in hand Monday to Friday and collect on a Saturday.

So people can't do cash in hand work on a Saturday?

You think the drug addicts your friend saw are working all week cash in hand too?

A lot of people collecting dole work part time so it makes perfect sense. You are allowed work upto 3 days a week and claim a reduced dole payment.

Yeah and a lot of people then work cash in hand for the other 2 days and collect their dole on a Saturday.

Its an inefficient systen that facilitates welfare fraud.

Im not bashing the people on the dole, im bashing the inefficient in place that allows for people to colllect the dole fraudulently.

Why would a government trying to tackle welfare fraud continue to have a system in place that facilitates the above?

Im not saying noone should be able to collect the dole on a Saturday but what is wrong with having a system where only those who have a genuine reason as to why they could not collect it mon-fri be able to collect it?

As I said its perfectly legal to work 3 days a week and claim dole so it makes perfect sense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

I thought you could have it paid into your bank account if your working part time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah and a lot of people then work cash in hand for the other 2 days and collect their dole on a Saturday.

When you start throwing around generalisations like that you haven't really got much of a point.

• Advertisement

Its an inefficient systen that facilitates welfare fraud.

Im not bashing the people on the dole, im bashing the inefficient in place that allows for people to colllect the dole fraudulently.

Sorry but I cant take you seriously at all complaining about fraud while implicitly supporting your fraudulent friend.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

When you're on the dole every day's a Saturday

One question, why won't you report your friend for fraud?

Anyway, because it used to be put into bank accounts if you wanted so this way by going into the post office with ID, you cut down on fraud.

Because it's my choice?

Here's a genuine reason: they give me three days to collect, I can collect it today if I like.

Yes but it is also the choice of people working cash in hand throughout the midweek and collecting their dole fraudulently on a Saturday. Why should they have that choice? I was actually on the dole once but i was not to lazy that i could not collect it during the week and i had the time to collect because i was not working at the time.

Yes but it is also the choice of people working cash in hand throughout the midweek and collecting their dole fraudulently on a Saturday. Why should they have that choice? I was actually on the dole once but i was not to lazy that i could not collect it during the week and i had the time to collect because i was not working at the time.

You're right, they shouldn't be allowed to commit fraud.
    So why don't help out and report that friend of yours for working during the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

I have found a loophole in the system that allows me to pick it up forth nightly instead of weekly so I pick up 376 every 2 weeks.If I was working it would be very handy alright.

cypressg wrote: »
    I have found a loophole in the system that allows me to pick it up forth nightly instead of weekly so I pick up 376 every 2 weeks.If I was working it would be very handy alright.

Do share. I wouldn't mind having to leave my bedroom only once every two weeks. :D

• Advertisement

So you think people who are on the dole, are either working cash in hand throughout the week, or are too lazy to bother going to collect it during the week?

Quick question, why do people suddenly become less lazy on a Saturday to bother going to the post office and get money they need to survive?

How is this thread still going. Surely this is low level trolling?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    When you start throwing around generalisations like that you haven't really got much of a point.

What do you mean a generalisation?

How is it a generalisation, are you saying that such welfare fraud does not exist?

The fact is we have a system in place where people can work during the week and collect a payment for at the weekend for being out of work.

How anybody can say that such a system does not facilitate welfare fraud is mind boggling.

I know of another friend who started worked with a large multinationional conpany last week and could not collect his dole until the Saturday morning. I dont think i need to report him because when the company employing him submits all the necessary details to revenue to pay his wages, im sure he will just have to pay back the money he should not have been entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The fact that the junkies are more than likely not working and claiming fraudently (sp?) while your friend is leaves you absolutely no chance of taking the moral high ground.

Yes the system isn't perfect,your friend highlights this. With the current employment problem in Ireland your friend is probably one of the few who is even capable of taking advantage of such a bad system. The rest are honestly jobless with no other source of income and don't care when the money is there as long as it is so bills can be paid.

I know of another friend who started worked with a large multinationional conpany last week and could not collect his dole until the Saturday morning. I dont think i need to report him because when the company employing him submits all the necessary details to revenue to pay his wages, im sure he will just have to pay back the money he should not have been entitled to.

Confirmed trolling.

• Advertisement

How is it a generalisation, are you saying that such welfare fraud does not exist?

The fact is we have a system in place where people can work during the week and collect a payment for at the weekend for being out of work.

How anybody can say that such a system does not facilitate welfare fraud is mind boggling.

Okay, you know what? No, just stop.
    Firstly, not everyone can collect it on a Saturday.
    Secondly, not everyone works for cash in hand and frauds the welfare.
    Thirdly, you are enabling fraud to be committed by not reporting your friend.

So you're no different to the people paying him cash in hand, to him or to anyone else committing fraud or enabling fraud so get off your high horse.

You're right, they shouldn't be allowed to commit fraud.
    So why don't help out and report that friend of yours for working during the week?

As i said i can do that and i think i will do so if it i see taht it continues but how will this prevent other people i can police because of this stupid system that facilitates welfare fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Have you reported it? It'd sure beat bitching and moaning about it.

TBH you're a fine example of what's wrong with society today....'I am aware of the problem, but rather than do anything to tackle I will start an internet thread blaming the system'.

Sauve wrote: »
    Have you reported it?

Yea

Okay, you know what? No, just stop.
    Firstly, not everyone can collect it on a Saturday.
    Secondly, not everyone works for cash in hand and frauds the welfare.
    Thirdly, you are enabling fraud to be committed by not reporting your friend.

So you're no different to the people paying him cash in hand, to him or to anyone else committing fraud or enabling fraud so get off your high horse.

You said i made a generalisation which i did not. How did i generalise all of those on the dole by pointing out horrid flaws in the system?

Yes i agree that not everyone is frauding the welfare but why should we have a system in place to facilitate those that choose to so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

repsol wrote: »
    Obviously they are too busy during the week to collect which brings into question their availability to work.They should have to sign every week day at a different time which they only find out the day before. This would make working in the black economy very difficult.You miss a day you lose a fifth of payment. You miss 3 days ,you lose the lot.

And make arranging job interviews impossible!
    How intelligent:rolleyes:

You said i made a generalisation which i did not. How did i generalise all of those on the dole by pointing out horrid flaws in the system?

Yes i agree that not everyone is frauding the welfare but why should we have a system in place to facilitate those that choose to so?

No, I didn't. That was someone else.

You generalized by making it clear you feel that the dole only has people that work for cash in hand (committing fraud).

Because of people like you. People who know others that commit fraud and report them.
    But no, you're going to hope someone else takes care of it.
    So either quit whining and don't report your friend or else report your friend and feel happy that you're helping honest people.

You claimed that a lot of people on the dole were working monday to friday so only collected their dole on a saturday because of this, or because they were too lazy. Sounds a lot like generalising to me.

OP, you even had me going for a minute, but not for long. Don't troll this forum again.

Everyone else, calling someone out as being a troll is against the charter, don't do it. Just report the posts and leave us to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement