Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3gs -> 4 without losing information?

• 30-03-2013 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

this may be entirely defunct but i want to clarify it before i try it.

My cousin has a 3gs, i want to give her my ip4 today as i got it unlocked during the week,

it was on three she's on meteor so i went into meteor and got a blank micro sim, which i then used to unlock the phone (i think - the carrier says meteor but if its not unlocked when she activates the sim ill have my laptop to unlock it.)

now the second thing is, i don't think she has ever synced her phone to a laptop, My mum gave her the 3gs and i think she may have set and bought music/apps entered contacts..etc on the phone itself.

how would i go about getting her information to transfer straight to the 4?

would i a: access a separate user account on my mac and back it up? (or will it sync and overwrite everything)

or b: do the same on her laptop (pc) same question?

obviously her apps/music can be re-downloaded on her itunes account, but i would rather avoid that (their internet is so so slow)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Hey.

Lots of questions there.

Generally an iPhone has been synced within a PC at some stage . Or mac. That is the PC to use for all of this as it should stop iTunes from wiping the iPhone

1. Before you do anything sync and back up the phone (3GS) to iTunes.

2.next wipe the 4 of its settings. (Settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings) this removes your settings and iTunes info from the phone

3. Connect the iPhone 4 to her pc and select restore from a back up ( the back up she did earlier ) this should put all her apps music on to the iPhone 4

To unlock

Wait until you are happy with the aps and settings then reconnect to itunes as described below

Unlocking an iPhone is done generally through itunes. When you connect the iPhone with the new sim it checks with apple and then unlocks the phone.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If she has the latest OS update on the 3GS (6.1.3) then go into the settings on make sure iCloud is turned on. Backup the 3GS to iCloud. Then when you enter her iCloud info on the iPhone 4 it puts all her settings and details back the way the were. Not sure if it puts all the apps back though.

If you have access to a laptop with iTunes best do it through that. It'll put everything back the exact same. Just sure it has all backup up before you delete anything from the 3GS.

Advertisement