Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In relationship on erasmus

Options
  • 30-03-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I'm going on erasmus next year to Italy as part of my college course and I'm scared that I'll miss my friends, family...and my boyfriend - we've been together a little over two years and we want to stay together, has anyone done an erasmus in a relationship before or know anyone who has? Any advice? I'm scared that I won't enjoy anything because I'll miss him too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i used to be in a 2 year long distance relationship with someone in Mexico! its not that bad. you have skype and regular holidays such as x-mas and summer and easter. just enjoy the year and try not to worry. its only a year! if even! and its only italy! only costs about 100 to pop back and forth. relax and enjoy your year, youll find youll learn alot about yourself being away from everyone. missing people is healthy adn to be expected but try not be so dependent on them, im sure youll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I know of at least 3 couples who ended up in a long distance relationship after erasumus (so the same but different to yourself) and were apart then whilst finishing studies, but eventually marraige and kids happened in all cases proving that distance and separation is no barrier.

If the relationship is strong enough then with cheap phone calls/ skype you can stay in touch very easy nowadays and much easier than when the couples I mention were living in separate countries.
    Theres also cheap ryanair flights nowadays especially during college term which is not traditional holiday season so your partner can always pay a visit for a week or 2 for buttons.

I think you'd be mad not to take the chance as you could well see enough of Ireland later in life and regret not seeing a little of the world before settling down to the daily trudge of commuting/ working and possibly bringing up kids sooner or later which really puts a halt to your gallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lannister1

ok that makes me feel a lot better :-) thanks guys!

Advertisement