Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching myself classical studies for LC?

• 30-03-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm thinking of teaching myself Classics outside of school because its something I'd be quite interested in, and I'm doing Religion and feel it would be valuable for that too.
    However, there isn't much information out there about it so i was hoping to clarify some things with anyone who does it? :)

The topics i am hoping to do are:
    1. Athens at war
    2. Writers of the Augustan Period
    3. Roman A&A
    4. The Philosopher in society

I have only found a text book for roman A&A and understand that you read The Peloponnesian war for Athens at war, Latin literature: An Anthology for Augustan Period and Plato's republic for The philosopher in society?
    Does anyone know any study guides/textbooks/online sites for studing classics?
    Also, is there choice within these books, where you can study the bits you like?
    Other than that, any general advice would be great!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I'd advise against studying the subject by yourself. As interesting as it is, the exam and the questions can be quite tough unless you are at a high level of English. I have the Roman A+A book of Mortimer Wheeler, who's English is hard to decipher for even my teachers of the subject. Not sure if that's the one you're talking about though.

If you want to vary it a bit, books on Alexander are quite easy to find and there is an endless resource of information on him around the web. I used sparknotes but I was studying the Aeneid/Odyssey on my course.

Advertisement