Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are traditional stock bokers on the way out ?

• 30-03-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I'm young ish:D,and have 0 intrest in owning shares,i trade/invest almost every day,via spread betting.
    Most people i know under 40 that trade ,also use spread betting.
    Is tradeing going to go the same way as gambeling ?
    I see some of the traditional companys makeing a half assed attempt at online tradeing ,but their not in it with the likes of IG /CMC/City Index etc.
    If you have under 50k ,where's the advantage in useing a traditional stockbroker ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

You think spread betting companies are here to stay and stockbrokers on the way out? That is just insane. Most people invest, not gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

strmin wrote: »
    You think spread betting companies are here to stay and stockbrokers on the way out? That is just insane. Most people invest, not gamble.

That interweb yoke will never take off either:D.

Seriously,why do you associate spread betting with gambeling ?( 90% of my positions are between 6mts and 1yr)

And if you don't mind me asking,what age are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 venividi

i trade/invest almost every day,via spread betting.

In fairness you brought up the analogy to gambling and trading almost every day would appear to support it. Each to their own strategy I guess. How long are you trading/investing and what is your profit/loss%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

venividi wrote: »
    i trade/invest almost every day,via spread betting.

In fairness you brought up the analogy to gambling and trading almost every day would appear to support it. Each to their own strategy I guess. How long are you trading/investing and what is your profit/loss%.

The analogy is in relation to the explosion of 'online' versus bookies shops.
    Mr Power got in on it early and his share price would reflect that.
    I'm trading about 10 years and i've done 19.54% after costs in Q1,(all indices/ftse 250 stocks),i don't trade FX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

I'm young ish:D,and have 0 intrest in owning shares,i trade/invest almost every day,via spread betting.
    Most people i know under 40 that trade ,also use spread betting.
    I see some of the traditional companys makeing a half assed attempt at online tradeing ,but their not in it with the likes of IG /CMC/City Index etc.
    If you have under 50k ,where's the advantage in useing a traditional stockbroker ?

I would not say they are on the way out in terms of people turning to spread betting but in the sense that everything will be done online and any brokers who do not have an up to scratch online system will be gone. I trade and use both my spread betting account and my stock broker account, depends on what i am trading and the type of trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

Depends what you mean, cause if you take the extreme situation where everyone stops buying shares and uses spreadbetting instead then there would be no reason for companies to issues shares and therefore no stock market! :D
    (unless for every SB transaction the SB company buys the shares behind the scenes)

Advertisement