Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are computer crashes common

Options
  • 30-03-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I built a computer in February and Im afraid anything will happen to it I nearly **** myself if it takes to long booting up.Recently my computer just went onto a blue screen and a lot of text sped by and it shut off but when i turned it back on it was fine what is it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it could be a virus,
    OR HD Drive is full,
    windows likes at least 4 gig free space.
    my laptop hasn,t crashed once.
    in the last 6 months.
    PC CRASHES if theres no ram left,
    eg 20 websites open at once,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wouldn't be too worried about 1 crash. 1 crash could be something small.

If it becomes regular then it's something to have a look at.

Persistent Crashes are usually an issue with the Hdd or another bit of hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Depending on the OS you can set the computer to remain on after a system failure so you can read the error message or code if it continues. Just make sure all your drivers are up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Thanks for the help I virus scan every week so that shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

riclad wrote: »
    it could be a virus,
    OR HD Drive is full,
    windows likes at least 4 gig free space.
    my laptop hasn,t crashed once.
    in the last 6 months.
    PC CRASHES if theres no ram left,
    eg 20 websites open at once,

Riclad can you stop spamming random solutions at every problem please?

Windows will assign memory to the page file if you start to get near full RAM usage and while a full HDD isnt great, its not going to BSOD the machine most of the time, just slow everything down.

One BSOD also isnt indication of a virus.

OP, these things can happen, random memory freak, cosmic ray, etc. Its no biggie. If it happens again within a few months, check into it.

If you wanted to stress the system out try Prime95(I'd always do this with new self builds). You can test the GPU with Furmark too. They'll max out your rig and then you can see if anything is unstable or gets too hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I built a computer in February and Im afraid anything will happen to it
    Are you worried about the hardware or the data that's on it? If it's the former, crashes might be indicative of a future failure, but it's likely you'd get persistent crashes.

If it's the latter, you should have a backup solution in place. When it comes to data, you should always assume that you are about 5 minutes away from everything on your machine being irrevocably wiped. If that happens tomorrow, how much will you lose?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement