Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not detecting HKC GSM-Q unit on HKC SW-1070 panel

Options
  • 30-03-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Can some help me please?
    Have just installed a sw-1070 system from HKC and am trying to add a GSM-Q unit.
    The problem I have is that if I follow the manuals, the Comms menus for the SW-1070 does not match the Comms menu in the GSM-Q manual.

In the SW-1070 manual if I go to the comms menu (9), I'm faced with 1. DTV menu, 2. serial port equip, etc. In the GSM-Q manual, it says I should see the following when I go to the Comms menu: 1. Overview, 2. communications etc.

No matter what options I try in the actual SW-1070 menus, I cannot get it to see the GSM unit. Can anyone help?
    SW-1070 V2.71
    GSM-Q V1.0.23

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

eire1977 wrote: »
    Can some help me please?
    Have just installed a sw-1070 system from HKC and am trying to add a GSM-Q unit.
    The problem I have is that if I follow the manuals, the Comms menus for the SW-1070 does not match the Comms menu in the GSM-Q manual.

In the SW-1070 manual if I go to the comms menu (9), I'm faced with 1. DTV menu, 2. serial port equip, etc. In the GSM-Q manual, it says I should see the following when I go to the Comms menu: 1. Overview, 2. communications etc.

No matter what options I try in the actual SW-1070 menus, I cannot get it to see the GSM unit. Can anyone help?
    SW-1070 V2.71
    GSM-Q V1.0.23

Has to be version 3 or higher software on the panel . You will need to get an engineer out to upgrade it .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

Has to be version 3 or higher software on the panel . You will need to get an engineer out to upgrade it .

B@lls!! Is it possible to get or download the software so I can upgrade myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I doubt it as it's likely HKC will only give it to alarm installers. You could try ringing them and asking if you bring in your pcb from your sw1070 to the factory in ballymount would they upgrade it for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Officially HKC have stated here they do not support end users.
    However, there is also many instances on Boards, where they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 almeera

hi ,

i brought new gsm q dialer for sw1070, if any chance to get the software ver3 to upgrade. please help me
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

almeera wrote: »
    hi ,

i brought new gsm q dialer for sw1070, if any chance to get the software ver3 to upgrade. please help me
    thanks

Might be a call for an installer, your best bet is to ring HKC in Ballymount on Tuesday and explain your problem to them.
    Officially they will probably tell you to contact an installer but if I were you I would ask them if that is the case then why is their equipment so easily available to be purchased by anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »
    Might be a call for an installer, your best bet is to ring HKC in Ballymount on Tuesday and explain your problem to them.
    Officially they will probably tell you to contact an installer but if I were you I would ask them if that is the case then why is their equipment so easily available to be purchased by anyone?

And officially they should.
    What has availability of equipment got to do the version of the control panel?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't think he was referring to the version number.
    I believe kubs question was why are they, on one hand, happy to make their panel available to everyone, while on the other claim they don't support end users. (There are plenty of incidences to that being false also across boards as well)

KoolKid wrote: »
    I don't think he was referring to the version number.
    I believe kubs question was why are they, on one hand, happy to make their panel available to everyone, while on the other claim they don't support end users. (There are plenty of incidences to that being false also across boards as well)

Correct. I think HKC would be cheeky not to support an end user who had no issues buying their gear from an electrical wholesalers. In fairness their gear isn't exactly packed in brown cardboard non descript boxes any longer, instead nice attractive boxes to catch the eye.

I do note the statement though but if they meant what is written then there would be no need for the installer manual within the box if that statement is factual.

I thought they did not ship panels with installer manuals?

• Advertisement

Correct. I think HKC would be cheeky not to support an end user who had no issues buying their gear from an electrical wholesalers. In fairness their gear isn't exactly packed in brown cardboard non descript boxes any longer, instead nice attractive boxes to catch the eye.

I do note the statement though but if they meant what is written then there would be no need for the installer manual within the box if that statement is factual.

In all fairness Kub any system can be got in a wholesalers.
    Updating the software from an end users point of view should not be possible.
    The software for updating the 10/70 and Quantum through smartlink 700 is required by an installer with a PSA licence. I note from boards here that the updates for the SPC is being freely given out here.

Rules for one and rules for others again.

I thought they did not ship panels with installer manuals?

They still do, opened a 10/70 box today and there is was.

altor wrote: »
    In all fairness Kub any system can be got in a wholesalers.
    Updating the software from an end users point of view should not be possible.
    The software for updating the 10/70 and Quantum through smartlink 700 is required by an installer with a PSA licence. I note from boards here that the updates for the SPC is being freely given out here.

Rules for one and rules for others again.

I know they are mostly available but the ease of programming a HKC panel is the choice of the nixer brigade, we have been here before, haven't we?

Don't get me wrong, i agree with you, but i just have a feeling that if a consumer who bought HKC gear easily, then contacted them for an upgrade and if they refused, i think that the consumer would have a case with Consumer Rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jesus lads, we're not still going about this are we?

Anyone can go into any of the main wholesalers and buy any system they like, be it Aritech, Siemens, Risco or HKC.

I'm kinda at a loss here to understand exactly what your gripe is. Just for charity, can you state what the problem is?

My gripe is this. We have seen many examples on here of them offering support to end users. Even sending them out free parts and giving free upgrades.
    You know, as well as I do, how they lied about being able to unlock panels so as to charge installers for the privilege. And yet they give end users support for nothing when it suits.
    Tell me, how would you feel if you were after pricing a customer for some part(s) only to have them call you back and say HKC sent me one for free??

I know they are mostly available but the ease of programming a HKC panel is the choice of the nixer brigade, we have been here before, haven't we?

I prefer them being in most wholesalers, was down in Gorey before christmas and needed an extra smoke detector. Would of had to drive an hour and a half back to dublin to get one from my local supplier.

Ease of installation helps most installers too Kub, not just the nixer brigade. It is also not against the law for an end user to self install their own alarm.
    How many people have we helped on here installing a system?
    Are we helping the nixer brigade here too?

The big question is now should HKC update the system for the end user.
    I dont think they should.
    They have put in place a system with regards smartlink 700 that only registered installers can use it for the purpose of remote access plus updating of the control panel.
    Do you think this should be made freely available to end users now?

Not arguing, just like to hear your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I am not here to defend HKC but what gets me is the hypocrisy/amnesia of some in here regarding manufacturers.

Out of all the manufactures I have had dealings with over the years, Siemens are the only ones who haven't (that I have heard of) supported end users directly.

Astec openly did and so do Aritech.

I would argue that there's more damage being done to our industry by a handful of people in here than by what HKC does.

You never answered my question......
    Tell me, how would you feel if you were after pricing a customer for some part(s) only to have them call you back and say HKC sent me one for free??
    Or after pricing a job & the customer says he has got a price from HKC.

The 2 incidences above have happened me by only one manufacturer , HKC.
    I agree with your statement re Siemens, possibly Astec, however to be fair to the dead;), we have got many referrals there to end users who did go enquiring to them.

PS : I know we are way OT here. But I'll leave it run till tomorrow.

This thread is turning into the famous 5 minute service call on the way home.....We are familiar with those.

Sorry all I touched a subject here which I suppose belongs elsewhere on Boards.

TBH kub I find HKC users very similar to iPhone ones. They suffer from tunnel vision. No matter what you say or what way they are treated they won't care. Unfortunately for end users there are many installers who know nothing else. That results in the end user getting what the installer wants instead of what suits their needs and budget.

• Advertisement

This thread is turning into the famous 5 minute service call on the way home.....We are familiar with those.

Sorry all I touched a subject here which I suppose belongs elsewhere on Boards.

We don't all have access to discuss it anywhere else.
    Can't see the problem hearing your points here either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement