Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Broadband speeds - May not be an Irish Issue

• 30-03-2013 4:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

For what it's worth, some of the speed issues that are being seen at the moment may not be down to the Irish providers.

There have been massive Distributed Denial of Service attacks going on across Europe in recent days, and these have had a knock on effect on many service providers, so it's very possible that any web requests that are being routed to or through Europe may have been impacted.

To find out what's been going on, do a search on Spamhaus DOS. Their servers were being hit by 3TB per second attacks, apparently as a result of a Dutch site being listed as a spam source.

This has had significant implications for many servers across Europe, in terms of speed and response times.

So, while Ireland still has a lot to answer for in terms of sh1t broadband performance, some of the issues in recent days may not have been down to local providers.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Those issues would largely affect email. On a separate issue there are problems Europe <> Asia caused by serial outages around Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21963100

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

From some of the comments being made, it's also impacting speeds in other areas, simply due to the massive extra volumes of data that are being switched, and the increased throughput that servers on the main nodes are having to deal with. Longer response times to requests will also be slowing down other traffic on the same servers, so the knock on effect is widespread. The sites that are discussing this are mentioning that things like netflix and the like are being affected.

The other factor will be that servers that are holding cache information for web sites could also be being delayed if they can't get responses to DNS information due to the extra traffic.

All in all, hopefully, the authorities will get on top of these menaces, and close them down, though it sounds like there's some serious time and coordination involved in doing so, due to the vast geographical spread of the machines involved.

[Off thread] Still doesn't come near solving why there are so many slow systems here in Ireland, especially on mobile networks, I was thinking of getting a Galaxy on the 3 network, but reading the threads on the speed of the "all you can eat" data system, I am worried that I will be looking very anorexic very rapidly if I go that route! Some of the speeds being reported elsewhere are a joke, given the money they are getting. [/off thread]

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have often wondered if Comreg do any checks on the capacity of the various ISP networks to see if they can actually deliver what they advertise?

What's to stop a company signing up customers way beyond their capacity to provide an adequate service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dub45 wrote: »
    I have often wondered if Comreg do any checks on the capacity of the various ISP networks to see if they can actually deliver what they advertise?

What's to stop a company signing up customers way beyond their capacity to provide an adequate service?

Pretty sure nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dub45 wrote: »

hahahahahaha expecting Comreg to actually do something for consumers:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement