Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerves..

• 30-03-2013 5:30pm

Guys! How are you all coping with the Leaving Cert? I got 550 in my mocks but I'm literally freaking out. I feel like I work a lot but then I feel like I don't know anything.
    I think I'm just coasting by and I just can't discipline myself to work as hard as I'd like. I'm constantly tired which stops me from studying.
    How are you guys doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

I got 550 in my mocks but I'm literally freaking out.

Yeah, calm down. You got 550 points in the MOCKS. Which are significantly harder than the real thing. I can't really empathize for someone who's obviously doing amazing.

Elceeney wrote: »
    Yeah, calm down. You got 550 points in the MOCKS. Which are significantly harder than the real thing. I can't really empathize for someone who's obviously doing amazing.

A few of my teachers wrote "disappointing result" on the report sent home. I am literally at the end of my tether trying to keep this up. How can you not empathize with that?

A few of my teachers wrote "disappointing result" on the report sent home. I am literally at the end of my tether trying to keep this up. How can you not empathize with that?

You got 550 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

How many points do you need?

Also, it's empathise. Not empathize. We are not in America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I honestly think this must be a troll. I got 475, and I want 520. Not one teacher wrote disappointing result. If you got 550, just do the work. You won't do much worse than that unless you have a mental breakdown. 550 is enough for Medicine with a good HPAT so I also lack empathy for you ;)

What do you want to do? What points do you need?

• Advertisement

How many points do you need?

Also, it's empathise. Not empathize. We are not in America!

Auto-correct is a hell of thing ;)

Auto correct on my phone is getting me too...
    I can honestly tell you guys that two teachers weren't impressed with my results.
    And I'm not sure what I want to do as I had plans to leave Ireland that fell through recently so I'm sort of playing catch up..
    I don't appreciate the fact that you can't relate just because I'm doing well in your eyes. It's really stressful to try and keep this up and I just want to know how others cope.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Elceeney/matTNT, stay on-topic. The thread is about dealing with nerves. There's no point comparing points as everyone is going for different things, 550 may be cutting it fine for one person, whereas 400 could be plenty for another. The mocks aren't a good representation of the real thing anyway so just because you did well in them doesn't negate feelings of stress.

OP, regular exercise helps a lot with stress and nerves. Go for a jog/cycle/walk at some point in the day, it'll help!

I kind of sounded like I was attacking you! I wanted to try and give you an internet slap in the face as a way to remind you you're doing fine at worst you only did 30-40 points less than where you need to be!

I'll need to do plenty work myself and I know it gets to some people but I'll give you what I actually do:

Read before bed. It takes your mind out of anything that has happened for the day and right before you go to bed. Although I'm a big reader so it's easy for me. I couldn't sleep unless I read or was really tired!

Sleep early. Rise early. Personally this is a something I invented myself, by that I mean I don't know anyone else who does it! I go to bed at 9-9:30 and I rise at 6:45. I get the recommended amount of sleep and because I'm up so early by the time class rolls round I'm really alert because I've been awake for so long.

Eat well. Self explanatory.

Sport - Other poster explained...

Vital to remember there is always a way around whatever you want to do. There really is as long as you're intelligent and bright then they're will be a way into whatever you want to do, though it might be slightly longer ;)

You said you want to leave Ireland and I would recommend not doing so, Ireland has a world renowned college system and the levels of tutorials are unusually high.

matTNT wrote: »
    I kind of sounded like I was attacking you! I wanted to try and give you an internet slap in the face as a way to remind you you're doing fine at worst you only did 30-40 points less than where you need to be!

I'll need to do plenty work myself and I know it gets to some people but I'll give you what I actually do:

Read before bed. It takes your mind out of anything that has happened for the day and right before you go to bed. Although I'm a big reader so it's easy for me. I couldn't sleep unless I read or was really tired!

Sleep early. Rise early. Personally this is a something I invented myself, by that I mean I don't know anyone else who does it! I go to bed at 9-9:30 and I rise at 6:45. I get the recommended amount of sleep and because I'm up so early by the time class rolls round I'm really alert because I've been awake for so long.

Eat well. Self explanatory.

Sport - Other poster explained...

Vital to remember there is always a way around whatever you want to do. There really is as long as you're intelligent and bright then they're will be a way into whatever you want to do, though it might be slightly longer ;)

You said you want to leave Ireland and I would recommend not doing so, Ireland has a world renowned college system and the levels of tutorials are unusually high.

Wow, thank you so much :) I have never heard someone who does the sleeping thing but it sounds great.
    I really want to start reading to help with English paper one anyway so I should build a list of books. Have you any recommendations? I really want to read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    It's not that I want to leave Ireland, it's just the way various things were taking me but I am staying here now and I am hoping to do Pharmacy or Veterinary I think.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

I really want to read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    Just read anything that's well written. I read Harry Potter's continuously before my JC and not only did it give me my love of reading and english but I am convinced it got me an A for JC English as I learned only 1 quote on the entire course. Reading has really helped me to perfect my use of metaphor/simile like "anger rose like snake".

I would recommend The Great Gatsby if you're not studying it, Emma is quite good too. Then books like The count of Monte Cristo. They are quite tricky reads, read the great gastby. It language has no equal and is very entertaining.

Skullduggery Pleasant contains snappy dialogue and humorous although they may seem a little childish I'm a fan.

It's not that I want to leave Ireland, it's just the way various things were taking me but I am staying here now and I am hoping to do Pharmacy or Veterinary I think.

I'm from a farm myself, so needless to say I encounter my fair share of vets. I know people who have done science or ag science courses before doing the vet course because they didn't get the points and they think they got the best route as they are better able to adapt to college life with what they perceive as doing an easier course first. That's just the opinion I have gathered though. Good luck :D

With regard to "The Bell Jar", very over rated in my opinion. I gave up on it after only a few chapters.

With regard to "The Bell Jar", very over rated in my opinion. I gave up on it after only a few chapters.

Oh no, I was really looking forward to it.. Oh well, will just have to try. Have you any recommendations? :)

Oh no, I was really looking forward to it.. Oh well, will just have to try. Have you any recommendations? :)

Haha... I'm not saying you shouldn't read it, I just didn't like it is all. I'd recommend the Catcher in the Rye if you haven't already read it.

Haha... I'm not saying you shouldn't read it, I just didn't like it is all. I'd recommend the Catcher in the Rye if you haven't already read it.

Oh I know I just tend to put a lot of emphasis on reviews and opinions as I wouldn't have a clue what to read otherwise :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Since I'm a bit of a reader myself, I'll give you an advice. You really have to be unlucky to pick up a book which you will later regard as a waste of time. It's not like the movie business where any aul' crap with a recognisable name will sell. The publisher will only accept what's good enough. It also depends whether you're into fiction or facts. I've been getting into the latter lately, and as long as it's written well(ie. doesn't bore the hell out of you) you'll enjoy it, and get something out of it - there's so many interesting topics. From fiction I'm a big fan of Alistair MacLean, if you're looking for an easy read I suggest picking up some of his novels. It amazes me how he has such a wide range of subjects. Maybe he did have ghostwriters after all? :P Start of Athabaska will help you with geography if you're doing it :D .

And going back to the topic of stress, I can't really help you, but I think there's nothing wrong with it, it's a very important moment in life. For me, a person who works and concentrates waay better under stress it's like a Godsend.

Advertisement