Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba satellite hard drive failing...

Options
  • 30-03-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

cousins laptop (windows 7) boots into windows and pops up with an alert saying the following:

Windows has detected a hard disk problem

backup your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk

has anyone come across this before? have to say i'm a bit stumped as I haven't touched a windows based machine in over 10 years.

i have run a virus check, spybot check to rule out virus and or spyware and it's none of them, not that i thought it would be mind.

anyone have any clue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

anyone have any clue?

I'd say, Windows already gave you all the clues you need: backup your files and replace the hard drive. ;)

If you want to test the hard drive for errors, run HD Tune (it works wthin Windows).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I had the exact same problem, with the same laptop. It would work for a while, and then I would have to do a full system restore to get it working, but it would crash again eventually.

Replaced the hard drive (quite easy to do) and it is working perfect to this day.

This is legit, it's what Windows displays if the drive's SMART data has reached its threshold.

Do what it says, back up any important data and replace the disk. It may not last much longer.

51034391.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ugh just what i suspected, despite my hastily written OP I did take heed and backed up everything. now to see if i have a drive lying around (here's hoping) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Torqay wrote: »
    I'd say, Windows already gave you all the clues you need: backup your files and replace the hard drive. ;)

If you want to test the hard drive for errors, run HD Tune (it works wthin Windows).

Yeah, definitely a HDD on the way out. HDD Scan is another free tool you can use ( Just run the smart option and Google the results ).

Don't know about the other techies on here, but I see this an awful lot with Toshiba HDDs in particular.

In my experience, i usually find it best to replace it with a different (better) model (i.e. seagate, western digital etc... If you don't have one to spare, memoryc.ie are usually fairly reasonable).

• Advertisement

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Don't know about the other techies on here, but I see this an awful lot with Toshiba HDDs in particular.
    Me too, out of all of the 2.5" brands I seem to see Toshiba disks fail more than any other.

Advertisement