Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows xp professional

Options
  • 30-03-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,
    I use two PCs - one with Windows vista and an older one with Windows xp professional. The reason I use two is that I draw using 2004CAD on the older PC and use the PC with vista for general work. I want to keep using two PCs - but my older PC with the XP is dying - Can anyone recommend a repacement for this older unit capabale of running windows XP professional ?
    Any advice appreciated thanks
    Descol

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Hi Would you consider running XP as a virtual machine? What model is the vista computer?

How do you know it's dying? What's it doing it or not doing?

It might be hard to find a new brand name machine that will run XP fully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

If he's using AutoCAD 2004 on the XP machine then a VM may not cut it - most just don't do good 3D acceleration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Any off-the-rails computer today can still run Windows XP, all mainstream hardware is still supported (although finding the drivers can be a bit of a challenge, as OEMs usually do not host them, but the the part manufacturers do).

Or look on Adverts.ie for some 2nd hand DELL Optiplex with a Core 2 Duo processor, they're decent office PCs and selling for little over 100 Euro.

Or, as joatoad said, install XP in a VM. VirtualBox is free and with the Guest Addons you can run XP programs seamlessly within the host OS.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    It might be hard to find a new brand name machine that will run XP fully.

Not true. Last week I had to install XP on a brand new Dell Vostro Core i5 desktop. Everything works just fine, chipset, controller, Realtek Audio & LAN, Intel HD Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 6450, etc. All components are fully supported.

Torqay wrote: »
    Not true. Last week I had to install XP on a brand new Dell Vostro Core i5 desktop. Everything works just fine, chipset, controller, Realtek Audio & LAN, Intel HD Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 6450, etc. All components are fully supported.

I said "might" - laptops are a whole different ball game.

Karsini wrote: »
    I said "might" - laptops are a whole different ball game.

Ye, some of the new WLAN/BT controllers can be a problem.

Ye, some of the new WLAN/BT controllers can be a problem.

Yep, also some of the more obscure stuff like IR or fingerprint sensors.

Just as I posted that I remembered I worked on some HP P3500 desktops recently that probably would have taken XP just fine. Ivy Bridge i3s with Realtek sound and LAN - pretty standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Thank you all -
    I will absorb your thoughts today -
    a couple of additional notes -
    The PC I use for Autocad - does not need internet connection - and the reason I think its packing up is - that it constantly fails to turn on - and my worries are that soon I will not be able to work on it - its also some 12 years old !
    Descol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Did you try running on the Vista PC in compatibility mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

replace vista with win 7 and use acad on win 7... i use acad just fine on win 7

descol wrote: »
    Thank you all -
    I will absorb your thoughts today -
    a couple of additional notes -
    The PC I use for Autocad - does not need internet connection - and the reason I think its packing up is - that it constantly fails to turn on - and my worries are that soon I will not be able to work on it - its also some 12 years old !
    Descol

pm i can give you a dell opti plex that has xp on it... if your old pc has DDR pc2700 or pc3200 ram you could put it into the dell pc along with your hd and gcard

Freddy Smelly
    A question for you as you use Autocad

I use Autocad 2004 - I am a sole trader Architect - and getting on in years - When I bought my Dell computer in 2009 to replace my older PC - I was sold vista - Autocad 2004 would not run on Vista and I did not wish to upgrade to new Autocad as 2004 is just fine for the work I do.
    So, I kept my old PC with windows XP and just used it for CAD work without internet connection - Over the years I have found it very handy having the two PCs runiing -

Yesterday my old PC packed up - it simply wont run - and whilst I have backed up my Cad work - on an external drive - I am now stuck - without any access to Cad - just when I started to get busy - s... happens

My question is - if I dump Vista on my other PC and install Win 7 - will I be able to use Autocad 2004 ?

Descol

no acad must be 2010 or higher to run on vista/7... it must also be 64bit version if your os is 64bit

Freddy and others
    Thanks
    That confirms it - Win 7 won't take Autocad 2004 -
    I am now checking out the purchase of a PC tower with XP and will reload Autocad 2004 on to it -
    descol

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

If you do find yourself stuck. Why not get a copy of one of the later versions of autocad (download or know someone with a disc) and install it on a 30 day trial basis on the Vista (crap) PC? At some time or other you'll need to get used to using the more up to date version of Autocad, I'm sure your also coming across compatibility issues with imported drawings!

ftlnn

Some some back I did have a look at a free trail of Autocad 2008 - it wrecked my head -
    True - sooner or later - maybe - but for the amount and type of work I do 2004 is simple and easy- I used to use a 2H lead and got everything on to an A1 sheet - those were the days !
    My work does not involve importing drawings from others
    descol

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Would it be safe to say Autocad at first wrecked your head? I'm sure it did and now your at a loss cos you haven't got it. 2h, 6h, blue leads, scalpel blades, ammonia printers, etc. did it myself. Time to get up to date, not so difficult...

A word of warning on xp, it's a brill operating system but sooner rather than later newer releases of software will not function on it. Vista has long been considered a piece of crap so at min get yourself onto win7.

while you say your work does not involve others don't let your version of autocad decide that for you.

descol wrote: »
    Freddy and others
    Thanks
    That confirms it - Win 7 won't take Autocad 2004 -
    I am now checking out the purchase of a PC tower with XP and will reload Autocad 2004 on to it -
    descol

do you live in dublin? PM me i can give you an old dell optiplex 170L p4 tower if you have ram & and a gcard and hd for it. No charge if your willing to collect it.

• Advertisement

ftlnn wrote: »
    Would it be safe to say Autocad at first wrecked your head? I'm sure it did and now your at a loss cos you haven't got it. 2h, 6h, blue leads, scalpel blades, ammonia printers, etc. did it myself. Time to get up to date, not so difficult...

A word of warning on xp, it's a brill operating system but sooner rather than later newer releases of software will not function on it. Vista has long been considered a piece of crap so at min get yourself onto win7.

while you say your work does not involve others don't let your version of autocad decide that for you.

ahh the old amonia dyeline printers.... even now the smell of rotten eggs reminds me of that old machine i used to have.

As I said before ... you can pick up some 2nd hd Core 2Duo desktop with 2-4 GB RAM for ~100 yoyos on adverts and easily knock a few years XP out of it.

P.S.: not all programs evolve for their better. Take NERO for example. Version 6 is still one of the best burning suites there is, but for some reason it has since mutated into some 1.5 GB monstrosity. :D

As I said before ... you can pick up some 2nd hd C2D desktop with 2-4 GB RAM for ~100 yoyos on adverts and easily knock a few years XP out of it.

P.S.: not all programs evolve for their better. Take NERO for example. Version 6 is still one of the best burning suites there is, but for some reason it has since mutated into some 1.5 GB monstrosity. :D

i still use nero 7 premium... works fine with win 7 x64

Advertisement