Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Field Study

• 30-03-2013 7:12pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't find a thread about this already.

For the field study write up, have you guys been told to do it with headings? Or as a sort of essay?
    One teacher is saying keep headings to a minimum e.g "Method 1" then begin writing like an essay.
    The other teacher says to make heading and sub headings e.g
    Method 1
    Finding hydraulic radius..
    Finding wettest perimeter
    Etc..

Anyone have any tips? How are you guys doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

sub headings or even bullet points as its easier for the examiner to correct rather than a big long essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What part our you putting the "finding hydraulic radius" and "finding wetted perimeter" in? I have a table but I didn't write anything on them.

What part our you putting the "finding hydraulic radius" and "finding wetted perimeter" in? I have a table but I didn't write anything on them.

The gathering information section. It's to find out the river's discharge.

Do you think that it could be put under the heading of "River Channel/Cross section"? I might just leave it out, I think I'm already over the word count anyway.

Do you think that it could be put under the heading of "River Channel/Cross section"? I might just leave it out, I think I'm already over the word count anyway.

Yes I'd say it most definitely could :) I am so over word count its ridiculous! 1,000 words? Give us a few hundred extra! :P

• Advertisement

Yes I'd say it most definitely could :) I am so over word count its ridiculous! 1,000 words? Give us a few hundred extra! :P

I don't know if I'll even have enough space to add anything in! I counted the words for my result section last night and I was about 150 over. :/ I hope the markers aren't too strict on it.

I don't know if I'll even have enough space to add anything in! I counted the words for my result section last night and I was about 150 over. :/ I hope the markers aren't too strict on it.

If you can change any results into graphs, do! If you look up the marking scheme (very end of any exam marking scheme) there is 20 marks going for graphs (pie charts, bar charts, tables) And also you need at least 2 graphs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Laauren

Don't worry about the word count! Each corrector has say 150 field studies and each field study has 1000 words. They're not going to spend time counting 150,000 words! It's just not gonna happen! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

We've been told they'll only ever go and count your words if yours looks particularly wordy or way over 1000. My first draft was about 1,500 words I think. I stripped it back to the bare essentials and it was still about 1,100 or so. Hopefully that's not an issue, I can't see them not correcting my project because each section is a handful of words over the limit.

Also, with headings, we used them relatively sparingly. Like my teacher would suggest to put a heading for the section, i.e. "1. Cliff Study" and then off into an essay styled paragraph on it. She often compared it to writing up a science experiment though, which makes me suspicious that we probably should have made better use of headings and bullet points!

Also, with headings, we used them relatively sparingly. Like my teacher would suggest to put a heading for the section, i.e. "1. Cliff Study" and then off into an essay styled paragraph on it. She often compared it to writing up a science experiment though, which makes me suspicious that we probably should have made better use of headings and bullet points!

There's 4 geography teachers in my school and 2 are in favour of essay and 2 are in favour of headings/bullet points..
    I'm just quite confused with what to do :P Possibly do what everyone in my class isn't doing so it stands out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

There's 4 geography teachers in my school and 2 are in favour of essay and 2 are in favour of headings/bullet points..
    I'm just quite confused with what to do :P Possibly do what everyone in my class isn't doing so it stands out..

I think what that would indicate then is that it's down to personal preference. I'd say ignore what your class are doing and pick whichever method you have a better grasp of and can present the information best with. :)

Advertisement