Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Roses

Options
  • 30-03-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone help. Im wondering if it is too late to prune roses
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Normally it would be too late at this time, again it depends on where you are, and how exposed you are. Paddy's Day is the date People aim at, but this is dependent on your local environment and seasonal weather,
    However with the cold spell we've had you could still prune, what are you trying to achieve with this pruning? are they old plant's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been told to prune the rose once before the winter, and prune it right back after the winter frosts. Is that not right then? I would've pruned before now, but the weather been too bad to permit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Green Fingers 1

Yes the roses are 13 years old. Should I get rid of them all together.

Yes the roses are 13 years old. Should I get rid of them all together.

I've been told to prune the rose once before the winter, and prune it right back after the winter frosts.
    No way, they are all but teenagers , Roses can survive for decades if kept healthy and looked after. If lot's of old wood prune a third of the plant hard, this year, same next year. Feed the soil, Mulch with FYM or good Humus Rich Compost

Yes, this is correct, if you have Tall lanky roses you could be better off pruning half the height to reduce the risk of winds rocking the plant at the roots, then late winter to early spring, you kinda of have to time the pruning to happen where you prune as early as possible to encourage the buds to break without these growths being burnt off by a late Frost,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Green Fingers 1

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to having a go at that. Also wondering if it is possible to replace a rose in the same place that it has died

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to having a go at that. Also wondering if it is possible to replace a rose in the same place that it has died

Have read and heard that roses can/should not be planted in the same spot as where one has died.
    However I have planted and they have thrived, if you wanted to replace the soil in that spot, and if you knew why the original plant died..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

I usually cut roses back hard in feb/march to a low framework - about 6 - 12 inches off the ground. Just wondering, is it too late now to do this? thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

keltoms05 wrote: »
    I usually cut roses back hard in feb/march to a low framework - about 6 - 12 inches off the ground. Just wondering, is it too late now to do this? thanks

I did mine last week...can already see the buds strengthening...do it,you should be okay.

Advertisement