Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vfc gear box with self shiming gears

• 30-03-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a bit of help please,bought a VFC gearbox to put into my RPK, had to open it up to change out the nozzle but when I but back together it started jamming. Found out through process of elimination the gears themselves are jamming for some reason, I have taken everything out of the gearbox bar the gears & I don't even have to screw the gearbox together, the gears stil jam, they turn smoothly either side of the gearbox when open. It has those self shimming gears, is there a nack with them that I don't know about? I am at a lost with this 1 if any body has any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

darman28 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a bit of help please,bought a VFC gearbox to put into my RPK, had to open it up to change out the nozzle but when I but back together it started jamming. Found out through process of elimination the gears themselves are jamming for some reason, I have taken everything out of the gearbox bar the gears & I don't even have to screw the gearbox together, the gears stil jam, they turn smoothly either side of the gearbox when open. It has those self shimming gears, is there a nack with them that I don't know about? I am at a lost with this 1 if any body has any suggestions?

Although I've never actually encountered them myself, I've heard various things about them. The idea is good but they're annoying as hell to work with.
    Anyways check a few other things first;

are the teeth on the gears damaged at all?
    Make sure the bearings/bushings are fine too.
    If you have some, throw in some normal (non-self shimming) gears and see if it still happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Best gears ever to work with, one shim on the bottom of each and yer done!

Most likely cause for a lock up like that is that there is something caught up in them or there's a bit of swarf hanging off. Check all the gear teeth and make sure they're uniform and there's no bits where there shouldn't be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Cheers for the advise lads, ended up taking them out altogether & putting in another gearset just to get it working, will give those gears a good look over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yup I agree with lefty, very easy gearbox to work with and the gears self shimming gears are the job, I'd check the spring on the AR latch.

Advertisement