Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else going to the Parade tomorrow?

• 30-03-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2013/03/1916-easter-rising-97th-anniversary-ceremony/?cat=3

A ceremony to mark the 97th Anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising will take place outside the GPO, O’Connell Street, Dublin on Easter Sunday 31st March 2013 commencing at 12 noon.

The Ceremony will be led by the President Michael D. Higgins, Taoiseach, Enda Kenny and Justice, Equality and Defence Minister Alan Shatter.

Defence Forces personnel, including a brass band, a pipe band and representatives of the Army, the Air Corps, the Naval Service and the Defence Reserve will take part in the Ceremony, which will conclude with an Air Corps fly past.

At noon the National Flag will be lowered and the 1916 Proclamation will be read by an Officer from the Defence Forces.

The President will then lay a wreath to commemorate those who died in 1916. A minute silence will be observed.

Members of the public are invited to attend and should be in position in the public viewing area outside the GPO by 11.15 a.m. Large video screens will be erected on either side of the GPO to relay the ceremony to the public.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 maithanfear

No but I will be going to the garden of rememberance to watch Martin mcGuinness speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

We had a parade last week.

I don't want to go to another parade for at least a month okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

An easter parade? cool. Will there be a giant white easter bunny handing out free chocolate eggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Certainly not going to that one anyway. Shathimself and Edna... they have some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

No but I will be going to the garden of rememberance to watch Martin mcGuinness speak
    what side of his mouth will he be lieing out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Do you have to wear your Easter bonnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Yes, let's commemorate the week in which the Easter bunny captured the GPO having been angered by the resurrection of Christ. Many eggs were lost that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Odysseus wrote: »

No but you can wear a Lily if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

donvito99 wrote: »
    Yes, let's commemorate the week in which the Easter bunny captured the GPO having been angered by the resurrection of Christ. Many eggs were lost that day.

Hee hee...

Nah, I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Maithanfear :D

I'd love to go but I live in the Wesht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hmm would I go to a parade that celebrates one of the biggest mistakes people on this island made.

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

P_1 wrote: »
    Hmm would I go to a parade that celebrates one of the biggest mistakes people on this island made.

No thanks

Mistake? so you'd prefer to live under British rule.. strange

Yes I will be going to a Parade tomorrow,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

bbm1 wrote: »

Couldnt be any worse can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Went to one today and going to another on Monday. That'll do me I'd say. To hear the blueshirts pretending to care about the fight for Irish freedom would make me loose my appetite!

Rather that than under the Vatican's rule anyway...

If its a choice between a bullet between the eyes and one into the stomach I know which one I'd rather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sitting in a pub in Inchicore last week and some young lad in a tracksuit was going around dropping leaflets on everyones table

They have something organized in Deansgrange cemetery on Easter Sunday too.

I don't know where Deansgrange is though, somewhere in Dublin I suppose :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Its amazing how few Irish people could tell you the dates when the easter rising happened. Had to look it up there myself, turns out we've a few weeks to go yet for the anniversary

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sitting in a pub in Inchicore last week and some young lad in a tracksuit was going around dropping leaflets on everyones table

They have something organized in Deansgrange cemetery on Easter Sunday too.

I don't know where Deansgrange is though, somewhere in Dublin I suppose :confused:

It is in South Dublin, not too far from Dun Laoighaire, You get the 46A or 7 bus from town if that tickles anyone's particular fancy.

ceegee wrote: »
    Its amazing how few Irish people could tell you the dates when the easter rising happened. Had to look it up there myself, turns out we've a few weeks to go yet for the anniversary

Actual dates Monday the 24th of April to Saturday the 29th. My partner was born the 24th of April and is into history and politics so I'll NEVER be allowed forget!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rather that than under the Vatican's rule anyway...

If its a choice between a bullet between the eyes and one into the stomach I know which one I'd rather...

A false dichotomy. As the majority of the leaders of the rising were - rather famously I would have thought - executed, you can't blame them for what happened subsequently.

Additionally, seeing as the North has been given opt-outs over legislation on gay marriage and abortion, I see no reason to believe that things would have progressed differently in the absence of a rising vis a vis the catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Of course President Higgins is leading it. He was there the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Would love to be there for the irish air corps fly by :-) whats the point in that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not sure I want to go and see a bunch of politicians use history to legitimate their reign.

kowloon wrote: »
    Not sure I want to go and see a bunch of politicians use history to legitimate their reign.

One goes in spite of them, rather than because of.

Morag wrote: »
    No but you can wear a Lily if you like.

I would wear one with pride if I knew where the cash went, I don't think it goes to a foundation like the do with the poppy across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I wish we had Easter Parades like that over here :(

I'd love for it to be socially acceptable to wear a bonnet on one day of the year, alas the anti-bonnet brigade have prevailed again! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nodin wrote: »
    One goes in spite of them, rather than because of.

That's fair enough, I just wish they'd be part of the crowd like everyone else rather than try and hijack the event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 maithanfear

I would wear one with pride if I knew where the cash went, I don't think it goes to a foundation like the do with the poppy across the road.

i'd imagine the money goes to the people who make them

kowloon wrote: »
    That's fair enough, I just wish they'd be part of the crowd like everyone else rather than try and hijack the event.

I know. Having witnessed a disgraceful display there once myself I'm none too gone on the notion. However Michael D will doubtless show some respect.

• Advertisement

I think of you buy one from the Sinn Fein shop on Parnell Street most of the cash goes to Sinn Fein if you buy one from the Graves Commission (not too sure on the name) shop on Dame Street the money goes to maintaining graves.

You'll pick up the flower itself in most flower shops.
    I have one, it was my GrandDad's he was a member of the Republican Army and a runner during 1916.
    I've no time for SF but I refuse to let them hijack the term republican or our history.

i'd imagine the money goes to the people who make them

That why I haven't worn one in years. I would like ti see some type of foundation taking it over and the cash then going to the up keep of graves, maybe even having monuments and the like.

I think of you buy one from the Sinn Fein shop on Parnell Street most of the cash goes to Sinn Fein if you buy one from the Graves Commission (not too sure on the name) shop on Dame Street the money goes to maintaining graves.

I didn't know that, I thought it was only SF that sold them.

I didn't know that, I thought it was only SF that sold them.

Yeah I think I someone here posted it. They're at 74 Dame Street from what I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Are you going yourself Morag?

I shall be in the library tomorrow working on an assignment. Much more fun!

• Advertisement

Yup reckon it will be interesting to photograph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Nonsense. All money raised in Sinn Fein's bookshop or by local cumanns for the sale of the Easter lily goes to the National Graves Association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Yep, live nearby and regrettably have never attended. Will likely have emigrated by next Easter so have a weird bucket list of things to do before then. Not keen on seeing the politicians hamming it up but it's more than those eejits. My late grandfather was involved in 1916, I'll try and get a Dame st lily, thanks to the post that mentioned it. His wife is currently on her deathbed (grandad was a good bit older than her!), we never got on but ill bring it to her when I visit tomorrow nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Il be there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I'll be there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Bit stupid that it's today, considering the actual Rising was Easter Monday, and the actual date is in 3 weeks time. Easter Sunday means nothing, and they could just as easily have had it tomorrow since it's a Bank Holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dotsey wrote: »
    Nonsense. All money raised in Sinn Fein's bookshop or by local cumanns for the sale of the Easter lily goes to the National Graves Association.

You'll have to understand not everyone is willing to trust Sinn Fein on the matter of funds. Better for them to get it from the National Graves Association directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It'd be great if we could sticky the Easter rising, 800 years, easter lily etc. I couldn't give a monkeys testicle and I doubt most Irish people do either. I am so so so very bored of hearing about it. Can we not just shut the hell up about it and get on with life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It'd be great if we could sticky the Easter rising, 800 years, easter lily etc. I couldn't give a monkeys testicle and I doubt most Irish people do either. I am so so so very bored of hearing about it. Can we not just shut the hell up about it and get on with life?

You're not obliged to post in every thread that pops up. Isn't the beauty of boards.ie and other forums that you have a choice to enter a discussion or not. Moreover, who the hell are you to tell other people to 'shut the hell up' about something they wish to discuss?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The graves association.

As someone else said, their address is at 74 Dame Street, (nextdoor to the Olympia Theatre), but I'm not sure if they have a shop there as the building is a french restaurant.

Maybe they have a back entrance down the allyway beside Brogan's Bar?
    Dotsey wrote: »

If I wanted to make a donation to the NGA, I'd prefer to do so directly than have it channeled to them through the hands of any political party.

Hijacking the memory of those who died in the cause of independence by party politics sickens me.

This childish reference to "British rule" always crops as a response by those to anyone who dares to question the events of Easter 1916.

The Easter Rising was more than a mere mistake.

It was a complete shambolic, ill prepared, badly planned and misguided attempt by a few romantic idealists to underestimate the British army under the mis-comprehension that they were too busy on the fields of Flanders and The Somme to crush a rebellion in Ireland.

Many innocent people lost their lives that week and many more lost their livelihoods as much of the centre of Dublin was destroyed. Public opinion at the time was strongly against the rising and its leaders, and the whole exercise was considered a complete and utter failure. The tide of opinion only turned when the British overreacted and had the leaders shot.

Choosing not to attend the parades today doesn't mean someone automatically favours "British rule". A stupid correlation to make and one that only highlights the ignorance of those who make it. I don't attend the parades because I don't agree with the Irish fondness for wallowing in yet another glorious failure in my name.

On a side note - Over 1 million Irish born people living in Britain don't seem to have a problem working and living under British rule. So it can't be that bad can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Lapin wrote: »
    This childish reference to "British rule" always crops as a response by those to anyone who dares to question the events of Easter 1916.

The Easter Rising was more than a mere mistake.

It was a complete shambolic, ill prepared, badly planned and misguided attempt by a few romantic idealists to underestimate the British army under the mis-comprehension that they were too busy on the fields of Flanders and The Somme to crush a rebellion in Ireland.

Many innocent people lost their lives that week and many more lost their livelihoods as much of the centre of Dublin was destroyed. Public opinion at the time was strongly against the rising and its leaders, and the whole exercise was considered a complete and utter failure. The tide of opinion only turned when the British overreacted and had the leaders shot.

Choosing not to attend the parades today doesn't mean someone automatically favours "British rule". A stupid correlation to make and one that only highlights the ignorance of those who make it. I don't attend the parades because I don't agree with the Irish fondness for wallowing in yet another glorious failure in my name.

On a side note - Over 1 million Irish born people living in Britain don't seem to have a problem working and living under British rule. So it can't be that bad can it?

It has been suggested that in fact public opinion wasn't against a rising and the leaders like you suggest.
    Just like to point out that observation,that you may be wrong with.

Lapin wrote: »
    The graves association.

As someone else said, their address is at 74 Dame Street, (nextdoor to the Olympia Theatre), but I'm not sure if they have a shop there as the building is a french restaurant.

Maybe they have a back entrance down the allyway beside Brogan's Bar?

If I wanted to make a donation to the NGA, I'd prefer to do so directly than have it channeled to them through the hands of any political party.

Hijacking the memory of those who died in the cause of independence by party politics sickens me.

Seems they don't actually have a B+M shop but you can buy them online. That Dame Street address is just a post box going by their website

It has been suggested that in fact public opinion wasn't against a rising and the leaders like you suggest.

Well we're pretty much relying on secondary sources at this stage but I would have thought that by starting an event that led to the city basically being wrecked would have led to public opinion being against it

From the introduction the The National Museum's exhibition on the event.

"The change in public opinion to one of support for the Rising, triggered by the execution of 16 of the leaders, is examined".

Link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement