Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else going to the Parade tomorrow?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Lapin wrote: »
    This childish reference to "British rule" always crops as a response by those to anyone who dares to question the events of Easter 1916.

It's true though. It is the main focal point of the rebellion, of course it would come up. Nothing childish about the truth. So what is your point?
    The Easter Rising was more than a mere mistake.

It was a complete shambolic, ill prepared, badly planned and misguided attempt by a few romantic idealists to underestimate the British army under the mis-comprehension that they were too busy on the fields of Flanders and The Somme to crush a rebellion in Ireland.

I don't agree. It wasn't underestimated. It was logical to strike at a time where the British forces were spread across Europe. It had a better chance of having an effect. Im not saying it did not have its obvious failings, yes planning could have been better but it was an appropriate time.
    Many innocent people lost their lives that week and many more lost their livelihoods as much of the centre of Dublin was destroyed. Public opinion at the time was strongly against the rising and its leaders, and the whole exercise was considered a complete and utter failure. The tide of opinion only turned when the British overreacted and had the leaders shot.

Im sure public opinion was bad at the time, sure the city was banjaxed afterwards so I cant disagree with you there. It's worth noting that there were a lot of people who were in favour of it.
    Choosing not to attend the parades today doesn't mean someone automatically favours "British rule". A stupid correlation to make and one that only highlights the ignorance of those who make it. I don't attend the parades because I don't agree with the Irish fondness for wallowing in yet another glorious failure in my name.

That's nice. That glorious failure has led to the formation of the State.
    On a side note - Over 1 million Irish born people living in Britain don't seem to have a problem working and living under British rule. So it can't be that bad can it?

They live "under British rule" as you put it by their own choice. It's a tad different than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

On a side note - Over 1 million Irish born people living in Britain don't seem to have a problem working and living under British rule. So it can't be that bad can it?

This point is nonsense really. By that logic, millions more (including British people themselves) choose not to live under British rule, so it must be terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It's true though. It is the main focal point of the rebellion, of course it would come up. Nothing childish about the truth. So what is your point?

My point was a response to the idiotic suggestion that anyone choosing not to attend the parades must therefore by default support British rule.

Its a crass and lazy approach to a discussion and doesn't really merit a response apart from highlighting the stupidity of the person who said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

My point was a response to the idiotic suggestion that anyone choosing not to attend the parades must therefore by default support British rule.

Its a crass and lazy approach to a discussion and doesn't really merit a response apart from highlighting the stupidity of the person who said it.

Ok, I agree with you in that instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've been to a few over the years and I'd go if I lived in the country. I'm not a supporter of the modern day IRA (whatever they call themselves) plus splinter groups or a Sinn Fein voter but I'm eternally grateful to those who fought for the independence of my country, including my own grandad. I think the day should be acknowledged like it would in other countries who also fought for their independence without any shame or embarrassment. People associate the day with knuckle-dragging RA heads who've never picked up a history book in their lives, which is a real pity. Hopefully we'll have our shyte sorted by the 100th anniversary. Credit where credit is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I've been to a few over the years and I'd go if I lived in the country. I'm not a supporter of the modern day IRA (whatever they call themselves) plus splinter groups or a Sinn Fein voter but I'm eternally grateful to those who fought for the independence of my country, including my own grandad. I think the day should be acknowledged like it would in other countries who also fought for their independence without any shame or embarrassment. People associate the day with knuckle-dragging RA heads who've never picked up a history book in their lives, which is a real pity. Hopefully we'll have our shyte sorted by the 100th anniversary. Credit where credit is due.

Generalise much?

Generalise much?

Jesus this "....much?" thing is ridiculously irritating. Care to actually dispute something I said in an intelligent manner instead of trying to be a smart arse?

Jesus this "....much?" thing is ridiculously irritating. Care to actually dispute something I said in an intelligent manner instead of trying to be a smart arse?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse I just said you branded everyone in these groups today as knuckleheads who have never read a history book,just wondering do you know each and every one of them personally to back up your statement?

Nothing smart arse about that,so climb down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm not trying to be a smart arse I just said you branded everyone is these groups today as knuckleheads who have never read a history book,just wondering do you know each and every one of them personally to back up your statement?

Her point was that you didn't say it though. You just used a tired old meme.

• Advertisement

Her point was that you didn't say it though. You just used a tired old meme.

My apologies,I have explained it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As a FF member with Unionist leanings I don't think I'd be welcome. I'm a very confused man. :confused:

I'm not trying to be a smart arse I just said you branded everyone in these groups today as knuckleheads who have never read a history book,just wondering do you know each and every one of them personally to back up your statement?

No I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I felt the ceremony today was very professionally carried out and more than held it's own with similar ones in other countries.

It was a simple,dignified ceremony which,at the very least, reflected well on Óglaigh na hÉireann's members and their Drill Sergeants.

Mind you,these occasions really do show up the need for a Long Rifle,in the manner of a Lee-Enfield or similar (An observation equally true of our former Colonial Rulers) ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Passed by it on the LUAS. Seemed to be a small crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Hijacking the memory of those who died in the cause of independence by party politics sickens me.
    and Sinn Féin have "hijacked" the memory how? nearly all of the leaders of 1916 who weren't executed were members of Sinn Féin or later joined after their release from prison. SF had an integral role in the subsequent War of Independence and the formation of the first Dáil. SF as a party for as long as I can remember have commemorated 1916.

I think it's the other parties who you should be sickened by, how long are they commemorating 1916? since the then FF/GP coalition decided to restore it in 2006 for the 90th anniversary.

as the Fine Gael idol and former General of the IRA, Michael Collins once said:

Our objective in building up the country economically must not be lost sight of. That object is not to be able to boast of enormous wealth or of a great volume of trade for their own sakes, the real riches of the Irish nation will be the men and women of the Irish nation, the extent to which they are rich in body and mind and character.

if only those who idolise him actually paid attention to him.
    As a FF member with Unionist leanings I don't think I'd be welcome. I'm a very confused man. :confused:
    Have you tried joining FG? they might be more suited to your unionist leanings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dotsey wrote: »
    and Sinn Féin have "hijacked" the memory how? .

Nowhere in any of my posts did I mention Sinn Fein.

Not once

I did say this -
    If I wanted to make a donation to the NGA, I'd prefer to do so directly than have it channeled to them through the hands of any political party.

Hijacking the memory of those who died in the cause of independence by party politics sickens me.

Notice the highlighted bit ?

Advertisement