Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with you moderators?

Options
  • 30-03-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

It has been almost four years since I started using this forum and the only two threads I started were attacked and closed down by mods.

The first time I dared to post here I needed some info on the HSE for my client (an organization) but was advised to "see a GP urgently" and "Do not delay with this." !! and my thread was closed?

And today I was chastised for pointing out the blatant disingenuousness of a poster and for criticizing DCC.

So I start a thread inquiring about another forum in Ireland and it gets immediately closed with the IMHO dubious justification "this isn't the place for your thread".

I have seen dozens of misplaced threads redirected here but mine gets closed? And you don't even bother telling me where the right place would be?

Only constructive, objective and informed posts please!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In those 3 examples you are clearly in the wrong all three times (medical issue, back seat modding and clearly unsuitable material for AH - a badly disguised cheap shot at the site / moderators). I'm not sure what your point / argument here is?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kesha

Cookie_Monster, I asked for constructive posts. IMO the post above as most of your contributions does not qualify. I clearly stated that my question was for an organization. I am sure you can understand the concept and that by definition it cannot have been a "medical issue".

Please desist from spamming my threads.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If you actually spent more time here and read the charters, you'd know the rules by now.
    Oh and be polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Kesha wrote: »
    Cookie_Monster, I asked for constructive posts. IMO the post above as most of your contributions does not qualify. I clearly stated that my question was for an organization. I am sure you can understand the concept and that by definition it cannot have been a "medical issue".

Thank you.

Hi Kesha. I'm listening.:)
    frasierfrasierbanner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Thank you.

It's still considered one for all intents and purposes.
    So they can't answer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The first thread was posted in health sciences which, to be honest, is for people who have an interest in academic health topics.

So "where do I find a good textbook on melanoma" or "has anyone seen this or that new cancer research" is the type of topic they want.

Asking about whether someone should go to the doctor or not, even if it is not you personally or is a hypothetical question is not really suitable. To be honest, it sounded for all the world like a real question which is for a client of yours, and to be honest they both gave you good advice (tell your friend to see a doctor) and also answered your question - no, there is no lab, a GP is mandatory.

In any event, the mods had to close the thread because it is site policy not to give out medical advice - if they kept it open someone thoughtless person might sarcastically say you don't need to see a doctor and then you might sue boards.ie or worse, suffer ill health / your friends ill health.

In the second one, there is a rule where you cannot accuse another poster of being a troll in a thread. If you think someone is trolling, you report their post in the bottom left of the avatar column.

In the final one, there is a rule that people are not to comment on other fora on boards.ie. linking another forums threads is fine, but discussing their moderation is not.

In all three cases, there were some minor misunderstandings of the rules. To be honest, it happens to everyone and 2 closed threads and a mod comment in 4 years is not bad at all.

It's completely your choice whether to post on boards or not. If you want to join some other fora as well, a quick google of "Irish discussion forum" will bring up a fair few. Select the one that suits your interests the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Posting about hypothetical situations is a waste of mods time. You don't have a dog so why post on an issue relating to dogs and why would anyone on boards mod or not recommend a new forum to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

The first thread was posted in health sciences which, to be honest, is for people who have an interest in academic health topics.

So "where do I find a good textbook on melanoma" or "has anyone seen this or that new cancer research" is the type of topic they want.

Asking about whether someone should go to the doctor or not, even if it is not you personally or is a hypothetical question is not really suitable. To be honest, it sounded for all the world like a real question which is for a client of yours, and to be honest they both gave you good advice (tell your friend to see a doctor) and also answered your question - no, there is no lab, a GP is mandatory.

In any event, the mods had to close the thread because it is site policy not to give out medical advice - if they kept it open someone thoughtless person might sarcastically say you don't need to see a doctor and then you might sue boards.ie or worse, suffer ill health / your friends ill health.

In the second one, there is a rule where you cannot accuse another poster of being a troll in a thread. If you think someone is trolling, you report their post in the bottom left of the avatar column.

In the final one, there is a rule that people are not to comment on other fora on boards.ie. linking another forums threads is fine, but discussing their moderation is not.

In all three cases, there were some minor misunderstandings of the rules. To be honest, it happens to everyone and 2 closed threads and a mod comment in 4 years is not bad at all.

It's completely your choice whether to post on boards or not. If you want to join some other fora as well, a quick google of "Irish discussion forum" will bring up a fair few. Select the one that suits your interests the most.

Keisha, I agree entirely with JohnnySkeleton - Boards is a useful place sometimes because it drags together lots of disparate stuff on one site, but for most topics there's a far better website out there for you - e.g. Thepropertypin for property related stuff, Politics.ie for what it says on the tin, Askaboutmoney for financial advice and so on. Boards is a jack of all trades and the master of none.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thank you.

No you're just looking for answers that agree with you.

Anyone who disagrees with you will be dismissed.

You broke the rules and were advised accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thank you.
    Oh, the irony! One of the issues that Cookie_Monster mentioned was your effort at back-seat modding.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In those 3 examples you are clearly in the wrong all three times (medical issue, back seat modding and clearly unsuitable material for AH - a badly disguised cheap shot at the site / moderators). I'm not sure what your point / argument here is?

^^^^ This
    fussyonion wrote: »
    If you actually spent more time here and read the charters, you'd know the rules by now.
    Oh and be polite.

^^^^ And this. Both parts.

/thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement