Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland sack Martin O'Neill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absolutely shocked to hear this. Top class manager imo and won't be out of work long if he wants another job.

He saved them from relegation last season, gave McClean his chance at Sunderland, brought in Fletcher and Johnson who have done well from what I've seen. Mignolet seemed to improve a lot under him too.

I think its very unfair to give him such a short time to get things right. I thought they would have stayed up with him at the helm but I think there is a real chance they will go down now.

He certainly didn't spend a fortune there and the bitter Villa fans are still blaming him for what happened there although some have seen the light and realise their owner is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Lennonist wrote: »
    Villa and Sunderland fans? What kind of results constitutes success for clubs like Villa and Sunderland?

Are you a Villa or Sunderland fan? Or are you just some other type of "character"?

im a villa fan. Ive watched his turgid lifeless football for 4 seasons. His jurassic managerial style is out of touch with modern game. Signed so much rubbish villa are still trying to clean the mess.

did the same at celtic, took ages to clear away Balde, Sutton, Hartson and Agathe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

eagle eye wrote: »
    Absolutely shocked to hear this. Top class manager imo and won't be out of work long if he wants another job.

He saved them from relegation last season, gave McClean his chance at Sunderland, brought in Fletcher and Johnson who have done well from what I've seen. Mignolet seemed to improve a lot under him too.

I think its very unfair to give him such a short time to get things right. I thought they would have stayed up with him at the helm but I think there is a real chance they will go down now.

He certainly didn't spend a fortune there and the bitter Villa fans are still blaming him for what happened there although some have seen the light and realise their owner is the problem.

So much roffle and a healthy dollop of lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zatman wrote: »
    im a villa fan. Ive watched his turgid lifeless football for 4 seasons. His jurassic managerial style is out of touch with modern game. Signed so much rubbish villa are still trying to clean the mess.

did the same at celtic, took ages to clear away Balde, Sutton, Hartson and Agathe
    COYVB wrote: »
    So much roffle and a healthy dollop of lol
    You see you don't really get it, your owner is the problem just ask the Cleveland Browns.

You see you don't really get it, your owner is the problem just ask the Cleveland Browns.

The owner gave Mon a quarter of a billion to spend. He cannot be blamed for o'neills diabolical transfer moves

Post Mon we had to clean up his mess, then Lerner hired McLeish. Totally his fault from that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So it's ok for you to want your own club to sack the manager after a couple of months, but you seem to have a problem with fans of other clubs wanting the manager sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Fair play to the Sunderland board, might as well go down fighting, at least they've given the club a better chance of survival now, would of been far worse if they did nothing as their completely in freefall right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Balde was the only player to outstay his welcome.

Agathe was gone after Strachans 1st season

Hartson asked to leave for personal reasons after GS's 1st season. Strachan wanted to keep him

Sutton was gone in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

When he came to Celtic he made them competitive in Europe for the first time in decades, under his term as manager Celtic played in Europe post Christmas for the first time since 1979 as I recall. When he went to Villa he came close to getting them qualified for the Champions League. Villa had not played in Europe's premium competition since 1982 I think?

Money was spent, but for Celtic, O'Neill was crucial in reinstalling the necessary mindset required to enable Celtic to take their place in the CL set up. He will always be regarded highly at Celtic for that reason. I'm sure Leicester supporters will always regard hi highly as well.

Celtic and the premiership are chalk and cheese.

No point making that comparison.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Leicester supporters will always regard hi highly as well.

How highly do you think he'll be regarded at his last two clubs though? Do you think there might be a reason for the answer to that question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Only a couple of years ago and he was being spoken of as Alex Ferguson's replacement. I just don't think he offers much tactically and once his motivation stuff doesn't do the job, he's struggling.

if by couple of years you mean a decade, yeah

How highly do you think he'll be regarded at his last two clubs though? Do you think there might be a reason for the answer to that question?

Villa and Sunderland? He saved the latter from what looked like relegation last season, and the former he got them back into Europe and within a whisker of that club's first stint in Europe's premium competition in about 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Johnson has actually been a terrible buy and they broke their wage structure to sign him. Fletcher had a good start to the season but has been poor since November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Villa fans correct me if Im wrong but I got the impression that Lerner bit of more than he can chew.

Like a lot of yank owners he thought he would make a killing off the back of Aston Villa. Once he realised how tough the business was the sale of work began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The owner gave Mon a quarter of a billion to spend. He cannot be blamed for o'neills diabolical transfer moves

I agree his transfers where shocking and when Lerner asked him to cut down on squad he pulled a runner . He is a very over rated manager .
    According to the mail he spent 120 million on transfer fees while only re-couping 40 million of it .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301712/Buy-buy-Martin-How-ONeill-spent-120million-years-Aston-Villa.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When he came to Celtic he made them competitive in Europe for the first time in decades, under his term as manager Celtic played in Europe post Christmas for the first time since 1979 as I recall. When he went to Villa he came close to getting them qualified for the Champions League. Villa had not played in Europe's premium competition since 1982 I think?

Money was spent, but for Celtic, O'Neill was crucial in reinstalling the necessary mindset required to enable Celtic to take their place in the CL set up. He will always be regarded highly at Celtic for that reason. I'm sure Leicester supporters will always regard hi highly as well.

From a gabriel marcotti article on O'Neill:
    I don't think he's particularly shrewd or creative in the transfer market. By my reckoning, since arriving at Villa Park, his club have spent more money than any other team in the Premier League (£88 million in net terms) with the exception of Manchester City. And, after all that expense, Villa will probably finish somewhere between fifth and seventh which basically equates to the club punching its weight.

Take a quick look at history. O'Neill finished 11th in his first season and sixth the last two years. The much maligned David O'Leary took Villa to sixth place in 2003-04. That was his first season at the club and he took over a side which had finished just three points above relegation the previous year. In the seven seasons between 1995 and 2002, Villa finished fourth, fifth, seventh, sixth, sixth, eighth and eighth, while winning the League Cup in 1996. The guys managing Villa in those years were Brian Little and John Gregory (with a bit of Graham Taylor thrown in). Neither Little nor Gregory (let alone O'Leary) are spoken of in the same glowing terms as O'Neill. And yet they achieved what they achieved without the massive investment from Randy Lerner, but with the rather more cautious Doug Ellis at the helm.
    His time at Villa doesn't look too great when you read that.

I agree his transfers where shocking and when Lerner asked him to cut down on squad he pulled a runner . He is a very over rated manager .
    According to the mail he spent 120 million on transfer fees while only re-couping 40 million of it .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301712/Buy-buy-Martin-How-ONeill-spent-120million-years-Aston-Villa.html

add another ~40 for young and downing into the coffers

Villa and Sunderland? He saved the latter from what looked like relegation last season, and the former he got them back into Europe and within a whisker of that club's first stint in Europe's premium competition in about 30 years.

Then why is it that both sets of fans despise the man and have almost identical problems with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

All credit to him for last seasons survival, we were heading down under Bruce and Short made the right decision to sack him, hopefully this will have the same result, but the truth is we only played well from December to March. We didn't win a game in April or May of that season and the performances have been turgid to this day. I can honestly count on one hand the amount of times we have played well since then. But aye, the job was done to be fair, we stayed up and that was his remit.

Roll forward to the summer and he spent £30m. There's not many clubs fighting it out in the bottom half of the table that can or will spend that sort of money in a transfer window. Fletcher has been excellent but Johnson has been a massive disappointment by any stretch of the imagination. Sunderland fans, to a man, are surprised at how poor he's been and it'll be interesting to see if a new manager playing more ambitiously will get the best out of him, it's something that has been discussed on our forums for some months now. O'Neill doesn't work with Mignolet at all, so his improvement (he was always very good) should go to the goalkeeping coach. On a daily basis O'Neill will rarely have interaction with Mignolet as the goalkeepers have their own training regime so he can't take credit for that one. Something not mentioned at all in this thread is the fact he has also made some very strange transfer decisions. He let Elmohamady go (Hull's player of the year this year), Meyler go (without giving him a chance), Turner go (he has been excellent for Norwich for the most part after a bad start while we play Titus Shambles every week) sent Connor Wickham on loan to Wednesday while we had to put 5 defenders on our bench due to no striker cover and all this while Campbell was sold and we made a desperate scrap to sign Graham on deadline day, which still leaves us a striker short, while he was talking about our lack of goals. He signed Mangane from the middle east who has yet to play a game and has had his arse handed to him by numerous U-21 sides in the games he has played.

I'm all for giving him time but realistically we have been poor since this time last year. There hasn't even been a small sign of things improving and it's basically either change things around and hope to do enough to stay up now or stick with O'Neill and be almost certain of going down. I know which option I'd rather.

Sunderland fans don't expect miracles. We average 40,000 a week despite having never won a proper trophy since 1973, we've witnessed numerous relegations with record low points totals too. Unfortunately, O'Neill showed nothing to suggest he would even be able to keep us in the Premier League. It's a shame, he's a Sunderland fan and many thought we had finally got our man after so many false dawns. I wish him the best in the future but we had to change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I like sunderland tbh, would like to see em stay up. Definitely need mclean playing top flight footie for irelands chances in the future imo. Will be interesting to see how this pans out

T-K-O wrote: »
    add another ~40 for young and downing into the coffers

Yes they where sold after he left but that article does highlight the amount he was given to spend . He is a very over rated manager who seems to rely heavily on a cheque book rather then tactics /formations . I know you need money to spend too . For a manager so highly rated his stats from his career.

38,00 % Wins
    29,33 % Draw
    32,67 % Losses

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/martin-oneill/aufeinenblick/trainer_176.html

I know people will say stats do not mean alot but thats not a great record for a manager .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It was the right decision to get rid of him. They were going nowhere and still playing caveman football.

When Fat Sam and Pulis eventually leave, you're actually going to end up with 20 teams in the league who at least try to play decent football (assuming Sunderland don't appoint another caveman).

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Celtic and the premiership are chalk and cheese.

No point making that comparison.

Sometimes it is like comparing apples with oranges. Still, I would say O'Neill spent his prime as a manager at Celtic and by enlarge did a great job. Just like Henrik Larsson spent his prime as a player with Celtic - but proved himself elsewhere at Barca for example. The bottom line here is is that O'Neill is one of the top managers of his generation.

I wouldn't write him off yet btw, if he wants to continue his managerial career. He'd be welcome here in Ireland - after Trap's reign is finished - with most Ireland fans I would say.

Yes they where sold after he left but that article does highlight the amount he was given to spend . He is a very over rated manager who seems to rely heavily on a cheque book rather then tactics /formations . I know you need money to spend too . For a manager so highly rated his stats from his career.

38,00 % Wins
    29,33 % Draw
    32,67 % Losses

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/martin-oneill/aufeinenblick/trainer_176.html

I know people will say stats do not mean alot but thats not a great record for a manager .

Im just point out that Villa recouped a lotta money in recent times. They made a decent profit on these guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cienciano wrote: »
    From a gabriel marcotti article on O'Neill:

His time at Villa doesn't look too great when you read that.

Depends how you look at it. Whats interesting from Marcotti's comments is that the position Villa were in the league given the wages were about right. At 5th/6th its a huge leap to break into United/Chelsea/City/LFC at that time. Now when you contrast the latest figures in financial fair play, Villa are actually punching well below their weight for the wages spent currently. Theres at least 7 or 8 who spend a lot less than Villa. The problem with Villa fans is, they see West Brom spend 48m on wages and stay in the EPL, so they expected miracles for what MON spent. Thats the curve Lerner is on, why would you pay 75m in wages at Villa and scrape in the EPL when you can do the same on 48m?. I suppose you could compare this to a golf handicap as an anology. Its easy enough to get from an 18 handicap to a 12 or 10. Its a whole new ball game to get from a 6 handicap to a 4.

O'Neill bought some tripe (show me a manager who hasnt), he also bought some pretty solid players and the club made decent money back on the likes of Milner/Downing/Young etc. Selling Milner pushed things to the edge and ways were parted. Cant blame either imo. However, when i see Villa fans laying it all at MON's door it gives me a good hearty laugh. I have even had a argument with a Villa fan that he ruined Leicester :pac: . The way some of them carry on you would think he signed 'big eck'.

Paully D wrote: »
    All credit to him for last seasons survival, we were heading down under Bruce and Short made the right decision to sack him, hopefully this will have the same result, but the truth is we only played well from December to March. We didn't win a game in April or May of that season and the performances have been turgid to this day. I can honestly count on one hand the amount of times we have played well since then. But aye, the job was done to be fair, we stayed up and that was his remit.

Roll forward to the summer and he spent £30m. There's not many clubs fighting it out in the bottom half of the table that can or will spend that sort of money in a transfer window. Fletcher has been excellent but Johnson has been a massive disappointment by any stretch of the imagination. Sunderland fans, to a man, are surprised at how poor he's been and it'll be interesting to see if a new manager playing more ambitiously will get the best out of him, it's something that has been discussed on our forums for some months now. O'Neill doesn't work with Mignolet at all, so his improvement (he was always very good) should go to the goalkeeping coach. On a daily basis O'Neill will rarely have interaction with Mignolet as the goalkeepers have their own training regime so he can't take credit for that one. Something not mentioned at all in this thread is the fact he has also made some very strange transfer decisions. He let Elmohamady go (Hull's player of the year this year), Meyler go (without giving him a chance), Turner go (he has been excellent for Norwich for the most part after a bad start while we play Titus Shambles every week) sent Connor Wickham on loan to Wednesday while we had to put 5 defenders on our bench due to no striker cover and all this while Campbell was sold and we made a desperate scrap to sign Graham on deadline day, which still leaves us a striker short, while he was talking about our lack of goals. He signed Mangane from the middle east who has yet to play a game and has had his arse handed to him by numerous U-21 sides in the games he has played.

I'm all for giving him time but realistically we have been poor since this time last year. There hasn't even been a small sign of things improving and it's basically either change things around and hope to do enough to stay up now or stick with O'Neill and be almost certain of going down. I know which option I'd rather.

Sunderland fans don't expect miracles. We average 40,000 a week despite having never won a proper trophy since 1973, we've witnessed numerous relegations with record low points totals too. Unfortunately, O'Neill showed nothing to suggest he would even be able to keep us in the Premier League. It's a shame, he's a Sunderland fan and many thought we had finally got our man after so many false dawns. I wish him the best in the future but we had to change things.

Villa are making a good fist of it :pac: Think they have spent 25m anyway last summer. I will obviously stand corrected if thats wrong.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Depends how you look at it. Whats interesting from Marcotti's comments is that the position Villa were in the league given the wages were about right. At 5th/6th its a huge leap to break into United/Chelsea/City/LFC at that time. Now when you contrast the latest figures in financial fair play, Villa are actually punching well below their weight for the wages spent currently. Theres at least 7 or 8 who spend a lot less than Villa. The problem with Villa fans is, they see West Brom spend 48m on wages and stay in the EPL, so they expected miracles for what MON spent. Thats the curve Lerner is on, why would you pay 75m in wages at Villa and scrape in the EPL when you can do the same on 48m?. I suppose you could compare this to a golf handicap as an anology. Its easy enough to get from an 18 handicap to a 12 or 10. Its a whole new ball game to get from a 6 handicap to a 4.

O'Neill bought some tripe (show me a manager who hasnt), he also bought some pretty solid players and the club made decent money back on the likes of Milner/Downing/Young etc. Selling Milner pushed things to the edge and ways were parted. Cant blame either imo. However, when i see Villa fans laying it all at MON's door it gives me a good hearty laugh. I have even had a argument with a Villa fan that he ruined Leicester :pac: . The way some of them carry on you would think he signed 'big eck'.

if you spend 6th highest wages then finishing 6th is fair enough but doesnt mean MON did a good job, If MON was this great manager he would have got us 4th with 6th highest salary when both Moyes and Redknapp did it by spending less on wages

he did the bare minimum and the fact the big salaries went on rubbish when Spurs were signing Modric, we signed Steve Sidwell who was on a higher salary

also we spent much less than Everton who continued to have a lesser budget than Villa

if people think Trap is bad then MON would be a lot worse,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With regards to the Marcotti article, it fails to mention where Villa found themselves prior to O'Neill taking over.

In my opinion, the true mark of whether a manager can be judged a success or failure is whether or not he leaves the team in a better position than when he took it over. I think with regards to the majority of the clubs MON has managed - Wycombe, Leicester, Celtic, and Villa, I would say his tenure based on this basis was a success.

This Sunderland stint is perhaps the first instance in modern times where he hasn't managed to take a club forward, yet he did keep the club up in his first season.

I like the man as a manager and person, but I agree with Paully D's sentiments that it just wasn't working out at Sunderland.

The bottom line here is is that O'Neill is one of the top managers of his generation.

If that's the case why did he make so many absolutely awful signings in the last 6 years?

• Advertisement

Villa are making a good fist of it :pac: Think they have spent 25m anyway last summer. I will obviously stand corrected if thats wrong.

was 21million on 8 players. bit different than 30m on 2 ;)

With regards to the Marcotti article, it fails to mention where Villa found themselves prior to O'Neill taking over.

The season before MON took over, Villa finished 16th, but had gone through quite a mental season behind the scenes. Players told by the chairman to write letters to papers about the manager, players not getting on, staff fighting. It was nuts. The season before that we finished 10th, the season before that, 6th IIRC. Were Villa in a stronger position the day after O'Neill left than they were the day before he took over? I'd contest no. The day before we took over we were sitting on spending of almost £250m over 4 years on transfer fees and wages. The day after he left, we were in a position where we needed to sell players to keep the club afloat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Signing Graham was such an O'Neill transfer and I feared for them when I heard that, it echos the Heskey signing he made at Villa, signing a striker who couldn't score for love nor money (a lot of it). Tactically he's light years behind and once teams figure out the whole 'fighting spirit' thing he projects onto the team, he's left very short.

To be honest, Sunderland might be lucky he hasn't burdened them with too many average high earners that could affect any future managers ability in the market.

In my opinion, the true mark of whether a manager can be judged a success or failure is whether or not he leaves the team in a better position than when he took it over. I think with regards to the majority of the clubs MON has managed - Wycombe, Leicester, Celtic, and Villa, I would say his tenure based on this basis was a success.

really?

Leicester were relegated 2 years after he left
    Celtic were left with an aging overpaid squad and Gordon Strachan had to work on a shoestring budget compared to him
    Villa the chaos speaks for itself. overpaid aging average players on long term contracts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The problem I have with this move is that he now is free to be linked with every possible other job again along with Phillippe Troussier and Alan Curbishley.

if you spend 6th highest wages then finishing 6th is fair enough but doesnt mean MON did a good job, If MON was this great manager he would have got us 4th with 6th highest salary when both Moyes and Redknapp did it by spending less on wages

he did the bare minimum and the fact the big salaries went on rubbish when Spurs were signing Modric, we signed Steve Sidwell who was on a higher salary

also we spent much less than Everton who continued to have a lesser budget than Villa

if people think Trap is bad then MON would be a lot worse,

What some people dont realise is that Spurs have been making huge progress off the pitch and it has taken them 10 years to get where they are now. Sure, i accept he bought a few bad eggs. At the same time, i remember last season people were pointing to Jelavic and Papiss Cisse asking 'why couldnt we have got them'. Well where are they now?, pretty awful seasons for the pair of them. The point is, there isnt a fan of any club that wont do the hindsight thing and make it better. Ironically, only a short time ago Modric was touted up for worst signing in the Spanish league.

I think you meant 'more' instead of less up there. Sure, Villa spent money, you have to to get anywhere, if theres a shift in policy, fine, go your seperate ways. But dont blame the manager outright. A manager only does what the board or owners allow them to. Its not an easy task getting 4th in this league.

Anyway, im out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MON's negatives outweigh the positives.

Pros:

Can motivate players to the extent that they perform above themselves.
    At times, his teams are capable of playing good counter attacking football.

Cons:
    Poor tactical flexibility from game to game and in games.
    Zero squad rotation.
    Teams lack creativity, his teams' creativity is all through the wingers. Centre midfield is full of workhorses.
    Rarely signs outside the expensive British market.
    Can't seem to deploy fullbacks at fullback, loves a midfielder there.
    Teams can't keep possession.

He's become out of date really and never seemed to want to adapt and grow as a manager.
    He'd probably do well internationally where his short and sweet motivational techniques could work better.

Im just point out that Villa recouped a lotta money in recent times. They made a decent profit on these guys

That is true but to me he is very over rated and always will be , he spent a fortune at Villa and did nothing with them . He should have at least won a tophy with them during his time . He came to club that where in the top half of the table spent a fortune and left them with nothing to show for it .

That is true but to me he is very over rated and always will be , he spent a fortune at Villa and did nothing with them . He should have at least won a tophy with them during his time . He came to club that where in the top half of the table spent a fortune and left them with nothing to show for it .

It's pretty difficult to win trophies. I've always thought he was slightly over rated however that was the best Villa team in a long long time.

Lerner came in and flashed the cash. Then it all seemed to dry up over night. I'd love to know but I suggest there is more to the villa story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dfx- wrote: »
    The problem I have with this move is that he now is free to be linked with every possible other job again along with Phillippe Troussier and Alan Curbishley.

Those days are over now. O'Neill is finished.

• Advertisement

was 21million on 8 players. bit different than 30m on 2 ;)

Doesnt make a sh1te of a difference if it was on 8 players or 2 if both clubs are fighting over last prize :pac: Whats the wages for those 8 players?

25.7m was the actual spend according to the transfer league. 2m for Collins coming the other way so it want a bad guess.

Edit........Sunderland wages 62m. Villa 75m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

It's time for KEANO to get his arse off the punditry stool in the ITV studies, and on the 1st plane north.

Villa made a profit on 3 signings O'Neill made IIRC, maybe 4. That profit is dwarfed by the losses on his signings though

DWhats the wages for those 8 players?

Based on some allegedly informed estimates from around internet land, not much

Guzan - £18k
    Lowton - £12k
    Bennett - £12k
    Vlaar - £22k
    El-Ahmedi - £18k
    Westwood - £12k
    Benteke - £17k
    Bowery - £3k
    Sylla - £7.5k

Total of about £125k, rounded up, or just shy of Richard Dunne & Stephen Ireland's wages combined

Doesnt make a sh1te of a difference if it was on 8 players or 2 if both clubs are fighting over last prize :pac: Whats the wages for those 8 players?

25.7m was the actual spend according to the transfer league. 2m for Collins coming the other way so it want a bad guess.

as for wages Id be surprised if any of them or anything close to 25k a week maybe Vlaar is but given where they all came from id be shocked if any where including Benteke.

that site is a bit flawed as i believe we spent less on Westwood, Sylla(joined in january) and Benteke cost 7million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

signing danny Graham to score goals , a game plan that worked 10 years ago , but now is dated and unimaginative - sadly, MON time in the top league, is up

Villa 75m.

Those are the wages from last season's books, which include Dunne, Warnock, Petrov, Cuellar, Collins, Hutton, Given and Beye. All of whom are either gone since then, or will be gone in the summer having played almost no games between them, and account for about £19m total in wages.

If Ireland and Bent shuffle off too, that'll be almost another £7m gone. It's crazy money when you think of it really. Some shocking signings at Villa over the past decade (though Bent and Petrov did fine jobs for the bulk of their tenure)

buyer95 wrote: »
    It's time for KEANO to get his arse off the punditry stool in the ITV studies, and on the 1st plane north.

I love Keano but he packed his bags when Ellis Short asked him to move to be closer to the north-east. They wouldn't work together again, no chance.

A lot of us in the Sunderland thread have pointed to the lack of John Robertson in his coaching staff as a possible reason why things haven't been the same for O'Neill. It seems like Stan Collymore agrees:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/ex-leicester-man-stan-collymore-says-o-neill-was-missing-john-robertson-1-5540809
    STAN Collymore, who played under O’Neill at Leicester, is among those who believe the Northern Irishman had missed having Robertson at his side.

He told talkSPORT: “Martin O’Neill is a dictatorial manager in the style of a Sir Alex Ferguson or a David Moyes – in other words he deals with everything.

“He knows the cost of everything, he wants total control of everything.

“John Robertson was the conduit between player and manager. When I was at Leicester I would go out and do the training with Steve Walford and everything would be quite jovial.

“John Robertson would watch training, perhaps go in a couple of times to see the manager who probably wouldn’t even come out until the last 10, 15 minutes of the session where everything got much livelier because it was unusual for the gaffer to come out and oversee training – like Sir Alex Ferguson or like David Moyes - and what John Robertson would do would be to report back.

“Who’s looking sharp, who’s not looking so sharp and I think in terms of this season Martin O’Neill just hasn’t looked himself.

“He hasn’t had that sounding board with John Robertson, Robbo decided not to make the trek up north and from what I understand JR almost had enough of the modern-day footballer.

“I think that has had a massive impact.”

• Advertisement

Those are the wages from last season's books, which include Dunne, Warnock, Petrov, Cuellar, Collins, Hutton, Given and Beye. All of whom are either gone since then, or will be gone in the summer having played almost no games between them, and account for about £19m total in wages.

If Ireland and Bent shuffle off too, that'll be almost another £7m gone. It's crazy money when you think of it really. Some shocking signings at Villa over the past decade (though Bent and Petrov did fine jobs for the bulk of their tenure)

Fair enough, all the figures i took for wages are in the following link by Newstalk and quoting financialfairplay.com, dated Feb 2013.

http://www.newstalk.ie/Which-Premier-League-club-is-getting-most-points-for-their-money.

Anyway, i think we are going a bit off topic now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement