Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal wear and tear - what's that exactly?

Options
  • 30-03-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.
    We've been renting a property for the last 4.5 years. We always paid rent on time.
    We moved out now, and landlord is coming soon to inspect the property.

It was pretty much brand new when we moved in, but rather cheap standard (no fancy stuff).

After 4.5 years paint on the walls in bit dirty in some places. We have small child which managed to put some stickers on the walls which came off together with paint. She also used some pen or sth to draw something in few small spots on the walls.
    We had to drill the holes to install some equipment to the walls (flat tv, child protection gate, bicycle hanger, etc) and all this is gone now, so holes left in the walls.
    Also we put some protection (for child) on heaters and other sharp object by sticking them with duct-tape and there are traces of this tape nearly impossible to remove. Wooden floor in living room is bit scratched from chair which I had there by my desk.

Some wall plasters has fallen off at the ceiling corners, but we had nothing to do with it. It's probably normal in new house where the whole construction is settling.

Generally though we didn't break anything. All equipment is working. I also managed to fix many things which broke in the mean time, often without any costs (door handles, shower main switch with fuse, locks, dishwasher, etc).
    I made a gate to the garden which was badly needed there (I constructed it myself from planks which I bought myself. I also installed a TV aerial, which I'm going to leave there now, unless landlord asks me to remove it.

Also landlord left something about just below half a tank of heating oil. There is no mention about amount of oil in the lease. At the moment from what I can see, level is lower, but it was never really measured with any equipment.
    As we were usually going for 1 month holidays over winter every year, landlord sent me a text to keep heating on for at least 1 hour per day when house is empty, as this are insurance requirement. I assume this is a good reason to return a house with lower level of oil compared to when we got it. Am I right?

Do you think any of the above might mean landlord will be trying to keep deposit or part of it, or are we rather in clear?

I'm asking as I'm not really familiar with how rental works in Ireland as this was my first house rented in here.

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd give the walls a good wash down with some sugar soap, if they're a bit dirty. If the LL wants to re-paint, then that would be down to him.

Regarding the holes in the walls? I'd fill them in. LL might not take too kindly to holes left in the walls for your stuff. It's fair to leave the same amount of oil in the tank as you found when you moved in.

Other than that - I'd say you'd be OK for the deposit return. Don't forget to take dated pictures of the house (inside & out) when you leave in case of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'd give the walls a good wash down with some sugar soap, if they're a bit dirty. If the LL wants to re-paint, then that would be down to him.

Regarding the holes in the walls? I'd fill them in. LL might not take too kindly to holes left in the walls for your stuff. It's fair to leave the same amount of oil in the tank as you found when you moved in.

Other than that - I'd say you'd be OK for the deposit return. Don't forget to take dated pictures of the house (inside & out) when you leave in case of problems.

It's kinda too late now as landlord is coming tomorrow morning.
    I won't be able to clean the walls or fill the holes by then.
    But actually you are right. If he asks for it, I can do that later I suppose.

I know it's fair to leave the same amount of oil, but on the other hand I didn't like the idea of heating the empty house, and I didn't see too much point in it anyway, that's why I feel justified to leave less oil that there was.
    Officially he can't really prove how much oil was there anyway, but it's not like that I've stolen this oil - I just used it as he asked. (while indeed it wasn't agreed who is going to pay for oil for heating of empty house).

Pictures - good idea.
    I might still go there now to take few.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like there is more than general wear and tear, Avoid using tape or blue tack on walls. A small tack does a much better job and is tidier.

Always fill holes, and if the paint is dirty give it a run over with sugar soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

For the duration of lease you are responsible for the house. Even though you were not in the house over part of the winter you would be expected to make sure that it was kept warm to avoid leaks from frozen pipes etc.

As for holes in the wall ... If i was your landlord I would be insisting that these were filled in properly or the cost to have someone hired to make good the damage to the walls would be withheld from your deposit.

I wouldn't be too concerned about painting but I'd have it as clean as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like there is more than general wear and tear, Avoid using tape or blue tack on walls. A small tack does a much better job and is tidier.

Always fill holes, and if the paint is dirty give it a run over with sugar soap.

So generally landlord might ask me to repair it or reduce deposit return?

I'll try to put some pictures in here later, so I can see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Holes from your mounted furniture is not wear and tear. They are your problem to fix. Pen or marker from a child are also your problem. That is beyond normal wear and tear. The LL might be flexible with this as it's reasonably likely that he'll be painting everything anyway as you've been there a few years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd concur- after nearly 5 years, a repaint would be pretty normal, however any holes in the wall, tape marks on furniture, scratched wooden floor etc- are *not* normal wear and tear. Parts of the cornicing falling off- also wouldn't be considered normal wear and tear. It sounds like there may be a not insignificant amount of work in restoring this to a condition considered satisfactory for a new tenant to be honest.

For the future- never ever drill holes in the wall and leave holes there. At very least you'd fill the holes back in (polyfilla or whatever) and repaint so it wasn't obvious. Drilling holes in walls is a massive no-no.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I've never seen a wooden floor that wasn't scratched so it would be normal wear and tear.

I would have asked for permission before drilling holes but should be ok if you repair them to a good standard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I've never seen a wooden floor that wasn't scratched so it would be normal wear and tear.

I would have asked for permission before drilling holes but should be ok if you repair them to a good standard

The last time I rented (which admittedly was some time ago) the wooden floor was mentioned specifically, and while I had a writing desk in the room- I was also obliged to have a rug under the chair so I didn't mark the floor.

It really is the case that you have to leave it at least as good as it was given to you. My mind is wandering vis-a-vis how to repair the cornicing and how much it might cost. Polyfilla and paint, I guess- but its not ideal. I assume as 'settling' occurred etc- the landlord was made aware of it, and isn't going to freak when he sees the cornicing about to come down?

Repainting would be normal after 4-5 years, thats a given, but holes in walls, a scratched floor, cornicing falling, tape marks on furniture- are not. It doesn't really matter whether they weren't bought in O'Hagan Design, or came from Ikea's showroom- young children were involved, and they always, always, generate additional wear and tear over and above what might normally be expected. I could post pictures of the drawings on the walls in my hallway to illustrate this- its just a fact of bringing up kids- and to be honest, I'd rather the kids were happy, even if it means I have to repaint with several coats to hide their artwork........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would definitely buy a tube if polyfilla. I get some every time I move. Today the blinds and curtain rail are coming down because I'm moving tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement