Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventry, Co. Kerry

Options
  • 30-03-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going to Ventry for a few days with the family. Has anyone ever been to Ventry, is it a nice place with much to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

censuspro wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Ventry for a few days with the family. Has anyone ever been to Ventry, is it a nice place with much to do?

Hi there censuspro,

I'm moving your thread from Travel into the Kerry forum where it would be better suited as it's localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Its been years since l was in Ventry but its a lovely place, planning going there soon...be sure to call into the late Páidí Ó Sé's pub! http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/ventry/ http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g551551-d2042995-Reviews-Paidi_O_Se_s-Ventry_Dingle_Peninsula_County_Kerry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Yes, nice place! Used to go camping there - great fun and close to Dingle. There's a cool lakethere up the mountain (Mt Eagle, i think it's called)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Ventry is a lovely spot, especially when the weather is good - quiet place, beautiful beach, lots of walks, especially when you step away from the main road etc. The village has one pub and Ard a Bhóthair where Páidí Ó Sé's pub and church are is about 1km away. Mt Eagle is lovely and the Clasach road from Ard A Bhóthair to Dún Chaoin has fabulous views.When it rains (which it does from time to time in this part of the world :rolleyes: ) it's a good idea to have other things to do. Depending on the age of the family theres the Blasket Islands Centre in Dún Chaoin, the Aquarium in Dingle, Mulcahys Pottery and a list of other art and craft places. Even on a very bad day Dingle will give you something to do and its only a few minutes away by car from Ventry.
    This site is one of many with good suggestions. http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/

Get back if you have any specific questions -- and enjoy the trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I'm a little biased because I live in Corca Dhuibhne, which is such a magical part of the world you won't even find it on the map. But in fact if you come to Ventry and holiday in the Dingle peninusula, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

If the weather is nice would recommend you walk the peninsula as much as possible. For hardcore hiking enthusiasts, you can walk from Ventry right around Slea Head to Mount Brandon, but since you have small children I'd recommend you drive it instead.
    http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/sleahead.html

There will always be lots of wonderful things to do in doors, but you're going to Corca Dhuibhne, the most beautiful place in Ireland, and you should try to spend as much of it outdoors as you possibly can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Spent my summers there as a kid in the 70s and 80s - my favourite place in Ireland. Would move there tomorrow if I could.

Loads to do - even if the weather is bad head out with some rain gear.
    As well as the above - loads of beaches to walk along. Climb Mount Eagle - past the lake to the bog to get great views to the Blaskets.
    If you have a car take a while to drive around - definitely recommend the pottery.

Head back past Dingle (past Aldi I think) up the Connors Pass - some great views and some nice walks. Just take it slowly on the far side of the pass if in a car, road is narrow but good if you are used to that.

If you are staying in Ventry as well as the above try Sheehy's pottery & cafe - great family and lovely food. If you can bump into Maurice when you are in the village you are in for a treat, a real gent, published a book years ago on local walks.
    While there - there take a walk along the beach towards Cuan, you will cross a river but a bit further up the beach there is an exit to O'Shea's.
    Or from the harbour in Ventry head left along the rocks to the cove's - there are a few and if the water is clear they look amazing - not recommended though for the frail or very young. At the first cove though be careful if you venture into the field above it - there used to be a large hole in the middle of the field where cattle used to fall to the rocks.

Have to admit am jealous you are heading would love to go back soon again myself.

Advertisement